Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting

I know you’re probably being inundated with St. Paddy’s Day-related recipes right now, but I’m jumping on the bandwagon – after all, whether you’re Irish or not, who couldn’t use some chocolate-y stout cupcakes topped off with boozy Bailey’s Irish cream frosting? This recipe makes two dozen cupcakes, so you’ll have plenty to share with your friends. I sent a dozen of them to work with the hubby, who reported back that they were a big hit with his co-workers. If you want to go all out, serve them with some homemade shamrock shakes! Enjoy and have a great weekend!

For the icing:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake tins with cupcake liners. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cardamom, salt, and baking soda.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until pale. Beat in the yogurt, and then the eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in the stout, and then the dry ingredients half at a time. Spoon the batter into the prepared tins and bake about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the tin before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the icing, cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl, adding in the Bailey’s when the mixture becomes thick. If the icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar; if it’s too thick, add more Irish cream until you’ve reached the desired consistency. Pipe the frosting on to the cupcakes and then add green sprinkles, if desired.

Posted by on March 12, 2014.

1. These look fabulous! I love that buttercream :)

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:30 pm

2. Looks delicious Tracy!

by TidyMom on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:41 am

3. These sound so good, Tracy! I love baking with Guinness. It adds such a nice dimension to chocolate.

by Susan@LunaCafe on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:40 am

4. These look delicious! Can these be made into minis? And if so how would I convert the baking? Thank You!

by Cassie on Mar 13, 2014 at 12:25 pm

5. I made these for work and they were a massive hit! They are so moist and delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

by Tyler on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:08 pm

6. I feel like it’s a requirement as a baker/food blogger to make these every march. And though they aren’t original, they are so freaking good, and all of our friends and coworkers love us for bringing them in! Mine were awesome this year, and these look great too!

by Sarah on Jun 11, 2014 at 9:39 am