Baked Meyer Lemon Doughnuts

Remember my last post about trying to beat the winter blues? Well, my citrus kick didn’t end there. In fact, since we’re enjoying a beautiful 45 degree day today, it’s practically summer here – so, I decided to dive right into spring cleaning a little early. In the midst of all of my cleaning and organizing projects though, I still found some time to bake up these delicious lemon doughnuts with lemon glaze. They’ll make a perfect afternoon snack with a cup of tea, and I definitely plan to make them again next week when the next big snow storm comes through. For now though, I’ll be pretending that spring is here and taking full advantage of the nice weather. I hope you enjoy these doughnuts as much as we did, and I hope you have a great weekend!

For the doughnuts:

For the glaze:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray two doughnut pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar about 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add in the eggs, lemon juice, and zest, and beat 1-2 minutes longer.Β In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beating until combined. Add the milk, and then add in the remaining dry ingredients. Spoon the batter into doughnut tins 2/3 full.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. To make the glaze, in a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. If the glaze is too thick for dipping, add a little more lemon juice as needed. Place on a wire rack over a sheet of wax or parchment paper to catch the drips and dip each doughnut in the glaze. Top with sprinkles or poppy seeds, if desired. Makes 8-9 doughnuts.

Posted by on February 19, 2014.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. Oh yum! I would love to mix poppy seeds into them so it’d be like a lemon poppy seed muffin in doughnut form. And even better because it’s meyer lemon.

by Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie on Feb 19, 2014 at 1:28 pm

2. Mmmm these donuts sound so good! I’ve never had a lemon donut, but can just tell from the photos that these are awesome πŸ™‚

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Feb 19, 2014 at 1:47 pm

3. These are absolutely GORGEOUS!!

by Cookbook Queen on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:19 pm

4. Anything Lemon is great, they look wonderful.

by jennifurla on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:05 pm

5. I can just taste that bright lemon flavor. I have got to find some Meyers!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 19, 2014 at 7:05 pm

6. I have had a really hard time finding Meyer Lemons this year πŸ™

by Kim of Mo'Betta on Feb 20, 2014 at 1:48 pm

7. These look amazing!!! Such a great idea – I’m addicted to anything lemon right now. It just brightens up the winter!

by Sarah on Feb 20, 2014 at 3:09 pm

8. This winter needs some bright citrus flavors for sure!

by Tracy | Pale Yellow on Feb 20, 2014 at 11:34 pm

9. I love love love these photos, and the only time I attempted to make donuts they came out meh. I might have to try these!

by Sarah on Jun 11, 2014 at 9:54 am

10. My mother in law gave me a large Meyer lemon and I used it to make these. They were perfect! Next time, I will definitely need to try them with poppy seeds.

by Tara on Jan 8, 2015 at 11:26 pm