Cinnamon Roll Steel Cut Oats

I’ve been on a roll lately (no pun intended) with different ways to enjoy steel cut oats, since I have them for breakfast almost every morning and I love to experiment with different add-ins and flavors. My mother-in-law also recently told me that she’s a steel cut oat convert, so of course I’ve been using that as an excuse to come up with some more recipes! This one is inspired by another one of my favorite, albeit very time consuming, breakfasts – cinnamon rolls (and, I just have to throw in a link to my Nutella cinnamon rolls as well – my personal favorite!). I like these oats because I can still get my sugar fix but without spending the time, not to mention the calories, on the real deal. I hope you’ll enjoy them, too. Enjoy your weekend!

For the icing swirl:

Combine the oats and water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until your desired consistency is reached.

To make the icing swirl, place the powdered sugar in a small bowl and pour in the syrup. Stir until well-combined – if the icing is too thick, simply add a bit more syrup.

Stir the sugar, spices, salt, and milk into the oats. Garnish with the icing swirl. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Posted by on October 9, 2013.

Tags:

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. I have been on such an oatmeal kick, this sound amazing!!!!

by stephchows on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:16 am

2. Delicious! What a great way to start the day. I need to amp up my boring plain steel cut oats!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Oct 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm

3. Oh, what a great breakfast!

by Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm

4. Steel cut oats are the freaking best! Love this!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:39 pm

5. Love this!!! Can’t wait to see your other recipes! Please stop by sometime as I am just getting started 🙂

by Jen on Oct 10, 2013 at 2:27 pm

6. Oh Yum! I’ve been making many bowls of pumpkin pie oatmeal recently, and it’s good, but honestly I’m getting a little tired of it. This, I think, will be the perfect breakfast pick-me-up. I wish I hadn’t already eaten breakfast today . . .

by Allison on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:05 am