Pumpkin Spice Doughnut Muffins

I don’t care that it was 92 degrees outside yesterday, nor that the heat wave continues today – my oven has continued to operate in full force, and it’s been baking up all things pumpkin. Fortunately, after today the weather should resume with much cooler temperatures – which is fine by me!

While I was planning what to bake first, I thought about making pumpkin spice doughnuts with my doughnut pan – but since I sort of already did that (and they were pretty delicious), I thought back to those infamous doughnut muffins from a few years back, and decided to spruce them up with some pumpkin spice goodness.

Plus, since these are made in a regular muffin pan, you don’t need a special pan for making doughnuts – although you could certainly bake these in one if you wanted! I plan to experiment with a mini-muffin pan next time myself to make some “doughnut holes” for snacking. Enjoy!

• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup milk

For the coating:

• 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. In another medium bowl, stir together the oil, sugar, egg, pumpkin, and milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

While the muffins are baking, melt the butter for the coating. In a small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon and sugar. When the muffins are done, carefully remove them from the pan. While they are still warm, dip each one first into the melted butter, and then in the cinnamon-sugar to coat. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. These are best served the same day you’re going to eat them, otherwise the coating tends to get a little soggy.

10 Responses to “Pumpkin Spice Doughnut Muffins”

1. 1 Alyson - Lift, Bend, Bake Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 11:10 am

Oh these look so good! Rich, dense and moist.. yum!

2. 2 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 11:16 am

YES, please.
    That is all. :)

3. 3 Jessica Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 11:25 am

Yum! I was just thinking that I need a new muffin recipe for sending to school in my son’s lunchbox. I think I’ll leave the coating off so we can freeze some. I’m sure they’ll still be delicious!

4. 4 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

These sound perfect. I just love baking during this time of year!

5. 5 Allison Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 4:26 pm

It’s never too warm for pumpkin – especially pumpkin muffins that look as good as these. Yum! Bring on the pumpkin season!!

6. 6 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 6:01 pm

These sound soooo good! Love that you made your donut muffins pumpkin!

7. 7 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    September 14th, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I have a to-make list that is currently a mile long, but girl, these are going straight to the top. Do not pass go!

8. 8 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:55 pm

These look amazing! Can you believe I haven’t made anything with pumpkin yet? Most years I have a few cans of pumpkin hanging out in the pantry or a few containers of frozen pumpkin in the freezer, but I’m completely out this year. I need to change that ASAP!

9. 9 stephchows Says:
    September 16th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

OMG, can you drive some of these over to me right now??? drooling! hehe

10. 10 Crumblyandcrispy Says:
    September 26th, 2013 at 9:29 am

These look so tasty. I love every kind of pumpkin doughnuts and I will make some next week too. Mine will be slightly different to yours because they won’t have any pumpkin In the dough but even more in the filling :)