Pumpkin Spice Doughnut Muffins

I don’t care that it was 92 degrees outside yesterday, nor that the heat wave continues today – my oven has continued to operate in full force, and it’s been baking up all things pumpkin. Fortunately, after today the weather should resume with much cooler temperatures – which is fine by me!

While I was planning what to bake first, I thought about making pumpkin spice doughnuts with my doughnut pan – but since I sort of already did that (and they were pretty delicious), I thought back to those infamous doughnut muffins from a few years back, and decided to spruce them up with some pumpkin spice goodness.

Plus, since these are made in a regular muffin pan, you don’t need a special pan for making doughnuts – although you could certainly bake these in one if you wanted! I plan to experiment with a mini-muffin pan next time myself to make some “doughnut holes” for snacking. Enjoy!

For the coating:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. In another medium bowl, stir together the oil, sugar, egg, pumpkin, and milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

While the muffins are baking, melt the butter for the coating. In a small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon and sugar. When the muffins are done, carefully remove them from the pan. While they are still warm, dip each one first into the melted butter, and then in the cinnamon-sugar to coat. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. These are best served the same day you’re going to eat them, otherwise the coating tends to get a little soggy.

Posted by on September 11, 2013.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. Oh these look so good! Rich, dense and moist.. yum!

by Alyson - Lift, Bend, Bake on Sep 11, 2013 at 11:10 am

2. YES, please.
    That is all. 🙂

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Sep 11, 2013 at 11:16 am

3. Yum! I was just thinking that I need a new muffin recipe for sending to school in my son’s lunchbox. I think I’ll leave the coating off so we can freeze some. I’m sure they’ll still be delicious!

by Jessica on Sep 11, 2013 at 11:25 am

4. These sound perfect. I just love baking during this time of year!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Sep 11, 2013 at 2:31 pm

5. It’s never too warm for pumpkin – especially pumpkin muffins that look as good as these. Yum! Bring on the pumpkin season!!

by Allison on Sep 11, 2013 at 4:26 pm

6. These sound soooo good! Love that you made your donut muffins pumpkin!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Sep 11, 2013 at 6:01 pm

7. I have a to-make list that is currently a mile long, but girl, these are going straight to the top. Do not pass go!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Sep 14, 2013 at 4:16 pm

8. These look amazing! Can you believe I haven’t made anything with pumpkin yet? Most years I have a few cans of pumpkin hanging out in the pantry or a few containers of frozen pumpkin in the freezer, but I’m completely out this year. I need to change that ASAP!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 15, 2013 at 9:55 pm

9. OMG, can you drive some of these over to me right now??? drooling! hehe

by stephchows on Sep 16, 2013 at 1:15 pm

10. These look so tasty. I love every kind of pumpkin doughnuts and I will make some next week too. Mine will be slightly different to yours because they won’t have any pumpkin In the dough but even more in the filling 🙂

by Crumblyandcrispy on Sep 26, 2013 at 9:29 am