Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats

Finally, September is here – and without any further ado, apples and pumpkins are everywhere. From fall baking magazines at the grocery store to the early apples and tiny gourd pumpkins already available at the farmers market this week, the flavors of fall are already in full swing even though the official first day of autumn isn’t until the 22nd. That’s never stopped me before however, since I just love this time of year – and since I already made a recipe last September for apple pie steel cut oats, I decided to jump on the pumpkin bandwagon a little earlier this year with this recipe. Ever since trying steel cut oats for the first time last year, they’ve become been my go-to breakfast in the morning. They make a hearty and healthy breakfast, and of course I love that I can whip up a bowl in about 10 minutes and then customize it with whatever I’m in the mood for, or whatever is currently in season. If you haven’t tried steel cut oats before, I encourage you to give this recipe a try. Enjoy, and have a wonderful week!

• 1/2 cup steel cut oats
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 dates, chopped
  • Whipped cream, for topping (optional)

Combine the oats and water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until your desired consistency is reached.

Stir in the sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Garnish with dates and whipped cream. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

17 Responses to “Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats”

1. 1 Angie | Big Bear's Wife Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 9:38 am

YAY for pumpkin everything!! Bring it on! These look so good!

2. 2 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 9:46 am

I have steel cut oats and pumpkin at home that are just waiting to be made into this lovely recipe! Hooray for fall – I am so ready for it! :)

3. 3 Christina Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 9:53 am

I have never tried steel cut oats. I’m looking for new things to eat for breakfast, can’t wait to try this!

4. 4 steph@stephsbitebybite Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 10:12 am

So excited for PUMPKIN!! These oats look fabulous!

5. 5 Tracy | Pale Yellow Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 10:30 am

I love pumpkin oatmeal, but have never tried steal cut oatmeal, this is giving me the push. Dates are a fantastic addition instead of extra sugar. This looks fantastic!

6. 6 Norma Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:10 am

I love steel cut oats and can’t wait to try this recipe. Instead of dates, however, I’m going to try dried cranberries. I’ve never liked dates, that’s the reason for the substitution.

7. 7 Tracy Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:15 am

Norma – I think dried cranberries are a wonderful substitution – I’m going to try it sometime, too! :-)

8. 8 Becky Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:28 am

I love, love steel cut oats! I don’t even bother with regular oats anymore since the texture of steel cut is so much nicer. One short cut I’ve found to cut the longer cooking time of 30-40 minutes to soften the steel cut oats is to soak them in hot water overnight and then they will cook in 10-12 minutes. Raisins would be a great substitution for the dates as well! I am ready for cooler weather so I can bring out my oats which I keep in the freezer. Thank you!

9. 9 Kim of Mo'Betta Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:56 am

I make a version of pumpkin pie steel cut oats as well! One of my favorite things for breakfast. I hadn’t thought about adding dates!

10. 10 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

This post is making me so excited for Fall! I will definitely be making this recipe in the next couple of weeks!

11. 11 stephchows Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 3:07 pm

As much as I love pumpkin and fall… I don’t want summer to gooooo!!! :)

12. 12 Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 5:05 pm

What a perfect fall breakfast! I’m so ready for fall flavors!

13. 13 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I love pumpkin in oatmeal and this recipe is lovely!

14. 14 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I am obsessed with steel cut oats lately… And, I’m ready for some pumpkin. I think this is going on the breakfast menu this weekend. :)

15. 15 Shelly (Cookies and Cups) Says:
    September 8th, 2013 at 12:30 pm

So pretty! Pumpkin season is coming again!

16. 16 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    September 10th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I love steel cut oats and this recipe is no exception. Now if only the weather would catch up with all of my Fall cravings – 97 degrees here in Ohio today was NOT amazing! :)

17. 17 Laurie Says:
    October 5th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Have you tried making a larger batch, keeping it in the fridge and reheating? I need grab and go breakfasts, but can heat it up at work in a microwave. I’m planning on making this in the morning.