Breakfast Tostadas and a Baby Shower for Amber

I know I’ve said this before and I’ll probably say it again – but to me, the best part about blogging is the relationships I’ve made with other like-minded bloggers along the way. I am constantly awed by the creativity and generosity of my blogging friends, and the community aspect of blogging has always been one of my favorite parts. Today, I’m excited to come together with a group of some of those amazingly talented and lovely people to celebrate one of our own with a surprise baby shower. And, though Amber currently lives in New Jersey, she’s a Texan through and through – so, we thought it would be fun to make her shower Texas-themed! This one is for you, Amber!

I first met Amber of Bluebonnets & Brownies three years ago now at the Big Summer Potluck. Before the event, she reached out to me on Twitter, helping calm my nerves about meeting other bloggers in person for the first time…and afterwards, as we bonded over the Keurig brewer that I had won at the giveaway, we became fast friends as we realized that we had a lot in common. Over the last few years, our friendship has only grown as we’ve kept in touch and walked through similar life situations (always with permission to rant freely!). And even though we live far apart, we continue to get together when we can and to keep in touch, sharing life with one another – and of course geeking out about all things baking and blogging. Amber really is one of the most genuine and caring people I know, always quick to offer her help in any way she can and without expecting anything in return…and in October, Amber and her hubby (aka The Brit) will be celebrating a new addition – a much prayed for and loved baby boy. I couldn’t be happier for them!

To celebrate, I brought some breakfast tostadas to Amber’s virtual shower. As much as I wanted to bake up a crazy, over-the-top Texas-themed dessert, the fact is that I always think of Amber and her love for Texas when I make anything related to breakfast tacos. I’ve been skeptical of giving them a try for the longest time (beans for breakfast? I don’t know about that!), but Amber kept encouraging me to step outside my comfort zone – and when I finally did, I was wishing I had tried them sooner. They’re pretty quick and easy to whip up too, which I know is a big bonus when you’re so knackered that you can barely keep your eyes open…so Amber, I hope this recipe comes in handy in the coming months! Congratulations Amber & James – I wish you and your sweet baby boy all the best!

Drain the beans and place them in a medium-sized bowl. Add in the green onions, pepper, cilantro, and juice and zest from the lime. Mash the mixture, leaving small chunks of beans. Stir in the bacon pieces. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment. Brush the tops of each tortilla with olive oil and bake until browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven.

Heat a large frying pan with butter over medium heat. Fry each egg your favorite way – over-easy, sunny side up, whatever you prefer! Build each tostada by topping a tortilla with a fourth of the bean mixture, an egg, a fourth of the cheese, and some avocado slices. Garnish with tomato jam, sriracha sauce, or sour cream, if desired. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Please join me in congratulating Amber and James on their little boy, due in October – and, be sure to attend the rest of Amber’s shower by checking out the links below for more recipes and posts from more food blogger friends:

Sugarcrafter | Breakfast Tostadas
i am baker | Texas Brownie Cake
The Kitchen Trials | Banana Pudding
Cookies & Cups | Sticky Toffee Pudding Cookies
A Farmgirl’s Dabbles | Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas
Steph Chows | Fiesta Dip
One Tough Cookie | Texas Cookies

Posted by on August 19, 2013.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. I am totally diggin these. I want to make them for breakfast but I think my kids might want me to share or something! ;) #notsharing

by Amanda on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:06 am

2. These look so amazing Tracy! Perfect for Amber!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:08 am

3. Tostadas are the best! Quick, easy, and delicious. This version you made looks fantastic :)
    Congrats to Amber!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:18 am

4. Yes, I do think the best thing about having Amber as our friend is ‘permission to rant freely!” She’s the best! :)

by DessertForTwo on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:18 am

5. Loving this event! And these tostadas!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:19 am

6. I used to be skeptical about beans for breakfast, too. But I’m now a huge believer. Bring on the breakfast tostadas! And YAY for Amber’s baby on the way!!

by Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

7. Thank you so much, Tracy, for organizing this wonderful baby shower for Amber! These tostadas look incredible!! I am a little embarrassed to admit that I’ve never made an authentic breakfast tostada before, but as a big ‘breakfast for dinner’ kind of girl, I would eat these at any meal of the day! Plus, those napkins are adorable :)

by Emily on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:21 am

8. Tracy, our friendship has been such a gift to me over the last few years. Thank you for celebrating Evan today. I love you to the ends of the earth, and I’m so glad I finally convinced you on breakfast tacos!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:41 am

9. Yum! I am wishing I had made these for breakfast today… They are *perfect* for Amber’s baby shower. We all know she is a fan of the breakfast taco. :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:41 am

10. This is an absolutely PERFECT dish for Amber’s baby shower!! And suddenly, my Pop Tart breakfast is looking super pitiful :)

by Cookbook Queen on Aug 19, 2013 at 10:28 am

11. Ooooh! I may just have breakfast tacos for lunch. These look amazing!

by Sweetsugarbelle on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:18 am

12. This looks like the best breakfast! So perfect for Amber’s baby shower.

by Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen on Aug 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm

13. I love everything about this breakfast! (especially the avocado!)

by Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies on Aug 19, 2013 at 1:25 pm

14. Oh how perfect! This has Amber written all over it and sounds like the perfect breakfast. Yum!

by Kate | Food Babbles on Aug 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm

15. Funny, my husband *just* suggested these for brekky tomorrow and he has no idea about this post. Thanks, Tracy!

Yay for Amber! Thanks for organizing this.

by Aimee Wimbush-Bourque on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:17 pm

16. I would never rant freely about breakfast tacos – applaud freely, cheer freely, EAT freely (ok, eat with wild abandon)? Those things I would definitely do. A perfect choice for Amber!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:35 pm

17. oh these are perfect for Amber….and ME! lol they looks delicious Tracy!!

by TidyMom on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm

18. These look delicious–I could get on this bandwagon!

by Julia on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:48 pm

19. Ooo, Tracy! I love this! It’s perfect for our family–we are always eating non-breakfast foods for breakfast. I can tell you right now, this is a hit! Thank you!

by Jeanne on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:39 pm

20. Fabulous bring to the party!! I wish I had one to snack on now!

by stephchows on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:08 pm

21. Mmm… Breakfast tostadas… One of my favorite breakfasts — whatever the time of day. =)

by Steff @ The Kitchen Trials on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm