Breakfast Tostadas and a Baby Shower for Amber

I know I’ve said this before and I’ll probably say it again – but to me, the best part about blogging is the relationships I’ve made with other like-minded bloggers along the way. I am constantly awed by the creativity and generosity of my blogging friends, and the community aspect of blogging has always been one of my favorite parts. Today, I’m excited to come together with a group of some of those amazingly talented and lovely people to celebrate one of our own with a surprise baby shower. And, though Amber currently lives in New Jersey, she’s a Texan through and through – so, we thought it would be fun to make her shower Texas-themed! This one is for you, Amber!

I first met Amber of Bluebonnets & Brownies three years ago now at the Big Summer Potluck. Before the event, she reached out to me on Twitter, helping calm my nerves about meeting other bloggers in person for the first time…and afterwards, as we bonded over the Keurig brewer that I had won at the giveaway, we became fast friends as we realized that we had a lot in common. Over the last few years, our friendship has only grown as we’ve kept in touch and walked through similar life situations (always with permission to rant freely!). And even though we live far apart, we continue to get together when we can and to keep in touch, sharing life with one another – and of course geeking out about all things baking and blogging. Amber really is one of the most genuine and caring people I know, always quick to offer her help in any way she can and without expecting anything in return…and in October, Amber and her hubby (aka The Brit) will be celebrating a new addition – a much prayed for and loved baby boy. I couldn’t be happier for them!

To celebrate, I brought some breakfast tostadas to Amber’s virtual shower. As much as I wanted to bake up a crazy, over-the-top Texas-themed dessert, the fact is that I always think of Amber and her love for Texas when I make anything related to breakfast tacos. I’ve been skeptical of giving them a try for the longest time (beans for breakfast? I don’t know about that!), but Amber kept encouraging me to step outside my comfort zone – and when I finally did, I was wishing I had tried them sooner. They’re pretty quick and easy to whip up too, which I know is a big bonus when you’re so knackered that you can barely keep your eyes open…so Amber, I hope this recipe comes in handy in the coming months! Congratulations Amber & James – I wish you and your sweet baby boy all the best!

• 4 corn tortillas
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tsp ground cilantro (or 2 tsp fresh)
  • 4 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped
  • Juice and zest from 1 lime
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
  • Tomato jam or sriracha sauce, sour cream (optional)

Drain the beans and place them in a medium-sized bowl. Add in the green onions, pepper, cilantro, and juice and zest from the lime. Mash the mixture, leaving small chunks of beans. Stir in the bacon pieces. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment. Brush the tops of each tortilla with olive oil and bake until browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven.

Heat a large frying pan with butter over medium heat. Fry each egg your favorite way – over-easy, sunny side up, whatever you prefer! Build each tostada by topping a tortilla with a fourth of the bean mixture, an egg, a fourth of the cheese, and some avocado slices. Garnish with tomato jam, sriracha sauce, or sour cream, if desired. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Please join me in congratulating Amber and James on their little boy, due in October – and, be sure to attend the rest of Amber’s shower by checking out the links below for more recipes and posts from more food blogger friends:

Sugarcrafter | Breakfast Tostadas
i am baker | Texas Brownie Cake
The Kitchen Trials | Banana Pudding
Cookies & Cups | Sticky Toffee Pudding Cookies
A Farmgirl’s Dabbles | Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas
Steph Chows | Fiesta Dip
One Tough Cookie | Texas Cookies

21 Responses to “Breakfast Tostadas and a Baby Shower for Amber”

1. 1 Amanda Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 8:06 am

I am totally diggin these. I want to make them for breakfast but I think my kids might want me to share or something! ;) #notsharing

2. 2 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 8:08 am

These look so amazing Tracy! Perfect for Amber!

3. 3 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 8:18 am

Tostadas are the best! Quick, easy, and delicious. This version you made looks fantastic :)
    Congrats to Amber!

4. 4 DessertForTwo Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 8:18 am

Yes, I do think the best thing about having Amber as our friend is ‘permission to rant freely!” She’s the best! :)

5. 5 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 8:19 am

Loving this event! And these tostadas!

6. 6 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 8:54 am

I used to be skeptical about beans for breakfast, too. But I’m now a huge believer. Bring on the breakfast tostadas! And YAY for Amber’s baby on the way!!

7. 7 Emily Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you so much, Tracy, for organizing this wonderful baby shower for Amber! These tostadas look incredible!! I am a little embarrassed to admit that I’ve never made an authentic breakfast tostada before, but as a big ‘breakfast for dinner’ kind of girl, I would eat these at any meal of the day! Plus, those napkins are adorable :)

8. 8 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 9:41 am

Tracy, our friendship has been such a gift to me over the last few years. Thank you for celebrating Evan today. I love you to the ends of the earth, and I’m so glad I finally convinced you on breakfast tacos!

9. 9 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 9:41 am

Yum! I am wishing I had made these for breakfast today… They are *perfect* for Amber’s baby shower. We all know she is a fan of the breakfast taco. :)

10. 10 Cookbook Queen Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 10:28 am

This is an absolutely PERFECT dish for Amber’s baby shower!! And suddenly, my Pop Tart breakfast is looking super pitiful :)

11. 11 Sweetsugarbelle Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:18 am

Ooooh! I may just have breakfast tacos for lunch. These look amazing!

12. 12 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

This looks like the best breakfast! So perfect for Amber’s baby shower.

13. 13 Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I love everything about this breakfast! (especially the avocado!)

14. 14 Kate | Food Babbles Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Oh how perfect! This has Amber written all over it and sounds like the perfect breakfast. Yum!

15. 15 Aimee Wimbush-Bourque Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Funny, my husband *just* suggested these for brekky tomorrow and he has no idea about this post. Thanks, Tracy!

Yay for Amber! Thanks for organizing this.

16. 16 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I would never rant freely about breakfast tacos – applaud freely, cheer freely, EAT freely (ok, eat with wild abandon)? Those things I would definitely do. A perfect choice for Amber!

17. 17 TidyMom Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 12:41 pm

oh these are perfect for Amber….and ME! lol they looks delicious Tracy!!

18. 18 Julia Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:48 pm

These look delicious–I could get on this bandwagon!

19. 19 Jeanne Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Ooo, Tracy! I love this! It’s perfect for our family–we are always eating non-breakfast foods for breakfast. I can tell you right now, this is a hit! Thank you!

20. 20 stephchows Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Fabulous bring to the party!! I wish I had one to snack on now!

21. 21 Steff @ The Kitchen Trials Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Mmm… Breakfast tostadas… One of my favorite breakfasts — whatever the time of day. =)