Spiced Plum Crumb Bars

I’ve been spending a lot of my time over the last week and a half picking some fruits as fast as I can before their seasons are over – and while most of that fruit goes into jam, I just couldn’t help setting some aside for a bit of baking as well. With a few quarts of ripe and juicy red plums and a recipe I came across recently on AllRecipes.com fresh in my mind, these beautiful bars came together in no time at all. As I have reduced the sugar in the recipe quite a bit from the original though, the filling in these bars is rather on the tart side, which I love – but feel free to add more sugar to suite your tastes, or to substitute your own favorite fruit in the filling rather than red plums. Either way, I hope you’ll enjoy them!

Recipe adapted from here.

For the crust:

For the Filling:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray. To make the crust, in a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter and egg until the mixture has crumbs that are the size of peas. Press half of the crust mixture into the baking dish.

To make the filling, in a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, spices, and corn starch. Add in the diced plums and stir to combine. Spoon the fruit mixture over the crust in the baking dish. Crumble the remaining crust mixture over the top of the fruit.

Bake 45 minutes until the top is lightly golden brown. Let cool on the counter, and then place the dish in the refrigerator to chill – this will make the bars much easier to cut. Cut into 15 squares and serve.

Posted by on August 7, 2013.

Tags:

1. Beautiful color in these bars! We have been eating so many plums lately. It’d be a nice change-up to bake them IN something – these bars may be just the thing! 🙂

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Aug 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

2. This is my kind of bar! Love the bright pop of color from the plums too!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Aug 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm

3. These sound sooo good!! Love this idea!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Aug 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm

4. These look so good!
    Fruit goes well with everything

by Shelly (Cookies and Cups) on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm

5. Yum! Last summer we belonged to a fruit CSA, and I got way more plums than I knew what to do with. This year we decided it wasn’t really a good fit for us, and I’ve just been buying what I want at the farmer’s market. And, naturally, I can’t get enough plums. 🙂 I think I need to add these plum bars to my baking list this weekend!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:19 pm

6. This looks fantastic. I cannot wait to try this recipe. I know it will be terrific.

by carolinaheartstrings on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:18 pm

7. I’m a sucker for crumb bars and yours look perfectly jammy!

by Aimee Wimbush-Bourque on Aug 17, 2013 at 11:50 am

8. These bars look amazing!

by Leah on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:21 am