Tart Cherry Jargaritas

I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to make these after first tasting them at the Big Summer Potluck three years ago (seriously, where did the time go?) – but since I’ve had Amber’s post bookmarked and we’ve run into some scorching hot weather these past few days, I decided that it was finally time to bust them out. The original recipe comes from Colleen, who passed out these little half-pint treasures during the social hour Friday evening, and I still remember the taste of them as we stood by the open windows slurping them and chatting as we tried to cool off on a hot summer’s evening. As Amber said, the reason that these “jargaritas” as we’ve come to call them are so brilliant is because they take just moments to mix together, and then all you need is a little freezing time and you have a perfectly slushy frozen drink. They’re also great if you have a barbecue or picnic coming up, since you can prepare them well in advance. Feel free to substitute ingredients in the basic recipe to suit your tastes as well by using your favorite fruit juice or liqueur. Remember to enjoy responsibly, and have a wonderful weekend!

In a large pitcher, add all of the ingredients and stir to combine. Pour the mix into four pint jars (or eight half-pint jars), filling until you have approximately 1/2″ liquid from the top of the jar. Place lids on top and screw tightly. Freeze at least 5 hours. Whenever there’s a really hot day, grab a jar! They’ll be quite thick and slushy at first (because of the alcohol content, they’ll never freeze completely), but they’ll thaw out quickly in the warm weather.

Posted by on July 18, 2013.

Tags:

Categories: drinks

1. I totally want one of these! Such a great idea to make and freeze ahead!

by Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:24 am

2. OMG this is the best idea EVERRRRRRR. It’s totally fine that it’s before noon to drink one right?

by stephchows on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:29 am

3. These look delicious !! Can u tell me where you would find tart cherry juice?

by Vegasmel on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:41 am

4. Oh man, Tracy. I definitely miss jargaritas this summer, and I am so down with a cherry version. It’s like a cherry limeade!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

5. Vegasmel – You can use juice from cherries you’ve picked yourself, or companies like R. W. Knudsen Family carry tart cherry juice in the grocery store. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Jul 18, 2013 at 1:17 pm

6. I love this frozen drink recipe! and the Mason Jars are so cute!! =)

by Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books on Jul 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

7. Bookmarking and definitely making these this summer. They sound so delicious and look fun too! I’m convinced that everything tastes even better when drank (drunk?) out of a mason jar!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm

8. Can you make it with another type of alcohol if you happen to have had a bad tequila experience in the past? 🙂

by Heather Fisher on Jul 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm

9. These are still a favorite of mine (I seem to be a bit obsessed with Chambord, lol – even ordering my Margarita’s out with a shot of Chambord). I love your cherry version!! Pass me a jar!

by Colleen (Souffle Bombay) on Jul 20, 2013 at 8:59 am

10. I am totally crushing on these!!

by Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:19 am

11. Cherry is brilliant for these. Dang, now I have jargaritas on the brain!

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm

12. My mouth is seriously watering right now!

by Nessa on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm

13. Heather – I don’t see why not – rum would probably be pretty tasty as well! 🙂

by Tracy on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:51 pm

14. All I can say is….YES!!! I’m so making these! I’ve had Pineapple Margs this summer, and this cherry version is calling my name!

by Kim of Mo'Betta on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm

15. Hi Tracy

Where did you buy your mason jars with the white lids.

by Jackie on Jul 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm

16. Jackie – The mason jars are just regular Ball pint jars. I bought the white storage lids separately – you can order them from Fillmore Container here. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Jul 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm

17. Hi Tracy

I made these for my niece’s birthday dinner, wen’t to get them out of my chest freezer and they were solid frozen, I thought they don’t freeze completely if alcohol is in them. My niece said they were good.

by Jackie on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm