Black Bean Burgers

Now that you can make your own delicious homemade hamburger buns, I thought I should give you a recipe for some patties to use them on! While I love buying hamburger patties made using grass-fed beef at the farmers market, sometimes I also like to go for the vegetarian option. I threw together these simple black bean burgers over the weekend with ingredients I already had in my pantry and refrigerator, although you can certainly play around with the spices and use what you like best. Also, if you don’t want to wait around for dried beans to soak, you can substitute canned beans; simply use 3 cups drained and rinsed canned beans and you’ll be ready to go. These are perfect for a picnic, and I like to serve mine with some provolone cheese and lettuce on top. I hope you’ll give them a try!

In a large bowl, mash together the black beans and rice. Stir in the mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce, spices, and breadcrumbs. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent. Add in the carrots and mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes longer, and then remove from the heat. Add the onion mixture to the bean mixture and stir until combined. Form the mixture into six patties.

In the same skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the patties and cook 5 minutes per side or until browned and crisp. Serve on homemade burger buns.

Posted by on June 4, 2013.

Tags:

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. I’ve tried several veggie burgers but haven’t ventured to black beans yet. Love all the flavors in this one.

by Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie on Jun 4, 2013 at 1:39 pm

2. This burger sounds PERFECT! And it’s so pretty!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:34 pm

3. Gorgeous and hearty! I think I could even convince my husband to accept these as protein. (Constant battle!)

by Shaina on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:10 am

4. I have had many veggie burgers, but never thought about making my own patty. Thank you for sharing 🙂

by Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff on Jun 5, 2013 at 12:47 pm

5. Gosh do these look good! I agree with Erin: love all the flavors going on!

by Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm

6. These look really hearty and delicious!

by nessa on Jun 5, 2013 at 9:18 pm

7. These look fabulous, Tracy! We eat quite a few meatless meals each week, and I’ll definitely have to add some black bean burgers to the menu soon. Yum!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:18 pm

8. OOOOO these sound amazing!! And so do those buns!! YUMMM!!! I’d like one for lunch today, do you deliver? 🙂

by stephchows on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:11 am

9. I loooove black bean burgers! Especially ones that are filled with lots of good spices, which yours seem to do quite well. 🙂 Give me some avocado slices to top it off and I’m all set!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jun 11, 2013 at 8:06 am