New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

Friends, I have some good news today: I have found the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. Even though it’s been floating around the Internet for a while now and I’m probably the last person to try it out, it doesn’t matter – this recipe makes THE best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had, so I absolutely have to share it with you. About a week ago, I finally got fed up with the recipe I’ve always used – the results were never consistent, and more often than not I ended up with big puddles of cookie that baked up flat and slightly burnt. But these – these are where the magic is. Big, soft, bakery-style cookies that melt in your mouth. They do require a bit of planning, since you need both cake flour and bread flour in order to make these. People also swear by the 24-hour chill time before baking, but honestly, I’ve baked them after 4 hours and after 24 hours, and I didn’t really taste too much of a difference. In any case, do yourself a favor and give these a try, at least once! I can’t say enough about them; I’ll never need to use another chocolate chip cookie recipe again. Happy baking and have a great week!

Very slightly adapted from here.

• 2 cups minus 2 Tbsp cake flour
  • 1 2/3 cups bread flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 pounds dark or semisweet chocolate chips
  • Sea salt, for topping (optional)

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until very light, about 5 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time until each is well-combined with the butter mixture. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low, and gradually add in the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Stir in the chocolate until well-distributed. Press plastic wrap against the dough and refrigerate 24 hours. You can refrigerate the dough up to 72 hours, but any longer than that and I recommend rolling the dough into ready-to-bake cookie balls and freezing.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form six balls of dough – the original recipe says 3.5 ounces each, but I took Cheryl’s advice and made 3.15 ounce balls, and they were the perfect size. Place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt if desired (I normally don’t), and then bake until the edges are browned, 18-20 minutes. Transfer the sheet with the cookies still on it to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Then, slip the cookies off the sheet directly on to the rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.

Makes about 22 cookies.

33 Responses to “New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. 1 Amanda Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 10:33 am

One of my favorite cookie recipes ever! :)

2. 2 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 10:41 am

Oh my, these do look perfect! I’ve seen that recipe too but have yet to try it. Your rave reviews have convinced me. I definitely need to make these! :)

3. 3 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 10:50 am

I haven’t ever made the NYT cookie.. and I have to say that yours honestly are the best looking version I have ever seen.
    I’m gonna give them a go today!

4. 4 Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 10:50 am

Oh my gosh I can’t wait to try these. Is bread flour the same as all purpose flour?

The Kidless Kronicles

5. 5 Tracy Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 11:05 am

Nicole – No, bread flour has more protein content than all-purpose flour does, which helps with gluten development. I usually use King Arthur Flour brand bread flour. I hope that helps!

6. 6 stephchows Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 11:14 am

I do love this recipe, although I never add in as many chips, it’s too much for me LOL. But tasty none the less!

7. 7 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 11:31 am

OMG Tracy, I just want to shove those in my mouth RIGHT NOW.

8. 8 Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 11:44 am

I saw the recipe from Cheryl … printed it and set it aside. You have convinced and reminded me to make them! Thank you ;)

9. 9 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these FOREVER! Lovely recipe!

10. 10 nessa Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Will have to make a trip out to get bread and cake flours. Look amazing!

11. 11 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Ha! I know you’re not the last person to try it – there’s no way my mom would ever take the initiative to make these cookies, so you’re still ahead of her! I have my own secret adaptation of these too, but you GOTTA try them with the Valrhona discs just once. They’re so worth shelling out for!

12. 12 Kate Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 3:43 pm

TRY THESE!!! I just made this for the first time a few weeks ago when I too was fed up with not having mastered a good chocolate chip cookie recipe! THESE ARE AMAZING!! Soft a delicious, everything about them is perfect! I didn’t even bother chilling my dough at all, I couldn’t wait to get them into the oven and the turned out great!

13. 13 Allison Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I just made these for the first time about a week ago and they are so good. I do think that next time I will follow you advice and make them just a bit smaller though. Yours look absolutely perfect!

14. 14 Liz Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Mm yes, the NY Times recipe is one of the best I’ve ever tried!! I think the chilling of the dough and the size are key.

15. 15 Tara Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

How did they taste the next day? I heard these don’t keep well. I just wanted to know if I make these, can I serve them next day?

16. 16 Tracy Says:
    May 7th, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Tara – They taste great the next day – even better, in my opinion! And, they keep very well for several days stored in an airtight container or resealable bag.

17. 17 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel Says:
    May 8th, 2013 at 9:15 am

Aren’t they simply amazing? Best ever.

18. 18 Becca- Cookie Jar Treats Says:
    May 8th, 2013 at 10:22 am

I have not tried this cookie recipe yet. But I keep seeing it everywhere I turn. So I think one of these days I’m just going to have to buckle down and try it.

19. 19 Kat Says:
    May 8th, 2013 at 10:47 am

Those look amazing. Perfect chocolate chip cookie.

20. 20 Marisa Says:
    May 8th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I’ve always meant to try this recipe, thanks for reminding me about it! And your photos are seriously gorgeous. :)

21. 21 Staci Says:
    May 8th, 2013 at 9:44 pm

OMG I am in love! I just made these cookies, and followed the recipe to a tee. The only difference I made was that I made my dough balls 1.5oz and baked them for 14/15 minutes. They were still very large cookies and the texture was PERFECT! Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and OH SO tasty!! This really is the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe! I am throwing my old recipes away and only making this one from now on. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!

22. 22 Staci Says:
    May 8th, 2013 at 9:45 pm

P.S.
    The temptation was killing me, so I didn’t wait 24 hours to bake them. I went ahead and baked 6 tonight and will bake the rest tomorrow. They were so good though, I can’t imagine them tasting any better tomorrow, but I guess we’ll see! Thank again!!

23. 23 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I just made these for the first time last fall and OMG, aren’t they the best?! I definitely think they’re the best ever. I love the combination of the dark chocolate and sea salt.

24. 24 Sharon Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 5:45 pm

This recipe is definitely a good one. I definitely add the salt on top. My question is…why do yours look so much better than mine? :-)

25. 25 Aimee @ ShugarySweets Says:
    May 12th, 2013 at 8:10 pm

It is a fantastic cookie!!! Your photos are awesome too Tracy!

26. 26 sue ann Says:
    May 13th, 2013 at 4:30 pm

How do 6 balls become 22 cookies? How big are the final cookies?

27. 27 Tracy Says:
    May 13th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Sue Ann – Each cookie weighs 3.15 ounces each. If you bake 6 cookies at a time, you should get about 22 cookies total once you’ve baked all of the dough. Hope that helps!

28. 28 TidyMom Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 9:12 am

My husband has a friend who is helping up move and wants to be “paid” in these cookies! lol they are THAT good!!

need to bake a batch soon!!

Thanks for the link love Tracy

29. 29 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I must purchase a kitchen scale (which has been on my to-do list forever now) and I MUST make these cookies. They look perfect!

30. 30 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    May 15th, 2013 at 9:34 am

These are pretty much the best cookies on the planet! I can’t even tell you how many batches I’ve baked in the past couple of years! Yours look amazing!

31. 31 Maria Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Made these cookies a couple of weeks ago. Used little less chocolate chips than what the recipe called for. I left the cookie dough in the fridge for 24 hours. Absolutely the best chocolate cookies ever. They are soft and chewy just like a cookie should be. My kids and in laws loved them.

32. 32 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I’ve been meaning to give that recipe a try for a very long time… And, I still haven’t done it. This a good reminder to give it a try. :)

33. 33 Terry Says:
    June 16th, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I want to make these, though i do not have a mixer. do you think i’ll get by with doing everything by hand?