Teacup Cupcakes

Each year I try to bake up something a little something special for my sister’s birthday – previous year’s sweet treats include a puffle cake, a butterbeer cake, and nutella-filled lamingtons, all of which were fun to make (not to mention delicious!).  This year, I was so overwhelmed with ideas that I was having trouble deciding on just one. While I was doing some research, I decided to check out my sister’s food board on Pinterest, and I saw that she had pinned these hot chocolate cupcakes. Since my sister loves tea, I decided to run with the cupcake mug idea, and these little teacup cupcakes are the result. They definitely take a bit of patience since there are so many steps, but each individual step isn’t so bad. I think it’d be fun to dye the fondant next time to make different colored mugs, or even use edible color markers to decorate them. Happy birthday, sister! Enjoy your special day!

For the marshmallow fondant:

In a large, microwave-safe bowl, pour the water over the marshmallows. Microwave the marshmallows 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time, until melted.

Pour the powdered sugar over the top and then turn out on to a greased surface. Knead like you would bread dough until all of the sugar is incorporated.

Your fondant is now ready to use. If you’re not quite ready to use it yet, you can store it in the refrigerator. Make sure to coat it lightly in shortening before wrapping it in plastic wrap and placing it in a resealable bag. It will store well in the refrigerator for several weeks.

For the yellow cupcakes (adapted from here):

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until pale. Beat in the vanilla and then the eggs one at a time. Reduce mixer speed and beat in the milk or buttermilk just until combined. Add the flour half at a time, beating until just combined. Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan 5 minutes before removing the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 15 cupcakes.

For the vanilla buttercream: Follow the buttercream recipe here.

For the chocolate ganache “tea:”

In a small sauce pan, heat the cream and agave until almost boiling. Pour over the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Let sit for a few minutes and then whisk until smooth. Stir in the vanilla.

Assembly:

After you bake the cupcakes and they have cooled completely, remove them from their wrappers and coat the sides with the some of the buttercream frosting. Cut out strips of fondant long enough to wrap around the cupcakes, which have edges slightly higher than the tops of the cupcakes. Wrap them around the cupcakes and press the sides together, using water to seal the seam if necessary. Cut out smaller pieces and shape them into handles. Use water to secure them to the sides. Pour a little bit of the chocolate ganache on top of each cupcake for the “tea” in the cup. If desired, decorate by cutting the string from a tea bag and sticking it in the ganache.

Posted by on March 19, 2013.

Tags: , , ,

1. Wow! Consider me impressed 🙂

by tRISH on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm

2. You are won good sister!! WOW. I totally wouldn’t be able to make these, I’d go nutty, but I do love how they look! Super cool!

by stephchows on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

3. OMG I wrote won… you are ONE good sister… I need a nap…

by stephchows on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm

4. This is just too cute!!!

by Annesta on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm

5. These are SO impressive! So much work. I don’t know if I’d have the dedication to make these, but I am glad you did! I love them!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm

6. WOW!!! Those are seriously impressive! Happy birthday to your sister! (I can’t believe she has grown up so much…I remember when she was really little)

by Special K :) on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:58 pm

7. Tracy, these are absolutely stunning! Your sis is one lucky girl 🙂 Happy birthday to her!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm

8. These are absolutely adorable!

by Shaina Olmanson on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:14 pm

9. These are adorable, and so creative!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:56 pm

10. Those are so good! At first glance I thought it was a real teacup!

by IDK My BFF Jes on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm

11. These are so awesome! Being one of a pair of sisters, I totally get the impulse to go all out for your sis’s birthday – I’d do anything for mine, but you set the bar really high here.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:25 pm

12. How incredibly cute are these???

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:23 pm

13. These look incredible, Tracy! You have more patience (and talent) than I, that’s for sure. You’re amazing!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:23 pm

14. Oh my gosh, these are amazing! Haha, so when I first got to this post and read the title, I looked at the top picture and thought “OK, she’s warming us up to the idea of teacup cupcakes by showing mugs of tea” — I can’t believe you made the cupcakes look SO much like a mug of tea! What a special birthday treat.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Mar 19, 2013 at 8:19 pm

15. SO CUTE!

by Tieghan on Mar 19, 2013 at 10:46 pm

16. SO freaking cute!!! And I’ve always wanted to make marshmallow fondant!

by Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:37 am

17. Oh my goodness! This is adorable! And your teacups are spot on! I actually thought you baked some cakes in ceramic mugs!

by Becca- Cookie Jar Treats on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:43 am

18. SO cute!!!

by Maria on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:32 am

19. absolutely love these! so clever.

by Lorie on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:20 am

20. This is such a great idea. I appreciate your step by step instructions btw. I think this would be a great idea for a little girls (or boys) “tea party” birthday. Definitely a must for next year.

by Michelle on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:25 am

21. Holy Cow….I thought they were real tea cups and you baked the cupcake into them!!!!!!!!!
    Remarkable…you outdid yourself this time!!! Shows how much you love your sister!!!

by Mom R. on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:36 am

22. I have to try making these!! Love them! I have a silly question though….do you take the wrappers off before you ice them and apply the fondant?? Not sure from the picture 🙂 Thanks!

by Marilyn M. on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

23. I too, thought they were real cups! Your sister is a lucky woman and you are a talented woman 🙂

by Brenda on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm

24. Marilyn – Yes, take off the wrappers first! I realize that I did not specifically state that in the instructions, so I’ve updated them accordingly. Sorry about that!

by Tracy on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm

25. Adorable! You are so creative!

by Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

26. These are just adorable!!

by Marcia on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm

27. So wonderful! Your sis must be thrilled! Nettie

by nettie moore on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm

28. I had no idea from looking at your first shot how that was a ‘cupcake’. Thank goodness for the inside shot! These are so cool and I’ve never seen anything like them. You’ve got a lucky sister 🙂

by Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:47 pm

29. Wow! you’re such a great sister. I’m impressed. I definitely wouldn’t be able to pull this off. I initially thought they were real cups when I saw the picture! Great job, Tracy! =D

by Candice on Mar 21, 2013 at 10:48 am

30. So creative! I thought they were real teacups too!:)

by Cloe on Mar 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

31. So creative and so cute!!! Now I need to have a tea party.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Mar 23, 2013 at 9:22 am