Quinoa Breakfast Bars

Ever just have one of those weeks? I had one last week, when my laptop battery died. With a background in software and computers, the matter of replacing an internal battery is normally a simple one – unless you happen to own a Macbook. Then, it apparently requires no less than 3 (each an hour long) trips to the Apple store, because they won’t allow you to replace the battery yourself. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to want to fix it for you either, unless you make an appointment six months in advance and sign over your firstborn child. Okay, I’m being a little dramatic with that last sentence…but the rest is true and caused a huge hassle over an issue that ended up taking them no more than ten minutes to actually fix. Ironically, the hubby and I were also eligible for phone upgrades over the weekend – suffice it to say that we did not go with iPhones!

Anyway, on to the recipe, which I’m excited to be able to share now that I have my laptop back! The nice folks over at Fair Trade USA sent me a bag of fair trade quinoa to try a while back, and since I normally gravitate toward quinoa salads, I decided to go in a different direction this time and make a portable breakfast bar. They make great snacks as well, although I recommend wrapping them individually since they get a little on the sticky side from the dates and honey. Enjoy!

• 4 ounces quinoa
  • 3 ounces millet
  • 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
  • 3 tsp ground flaxseed
  • 3 Tbsp dried currants (or any dried fruit)
  • 3 ounces honey
  • 2 1/2 ounces brown rice syrup
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 2 Tbsp mashed dates (about 3 dates)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8″ baking dish lightly with cooking spray, and then line the dish with parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir together the quinoa, millet, sesame seeds, ground flaxseed, and currants. In a small sauce pan over low-medium heat, add the honey, brown rice syrup, vanilla, sea salt, and mashed dates, stirring to until as smooth as possible. Remove from the heat and pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, stirring until well-coated.

Spoon the mixture into the lined baking dish, pressing with your fingers until evenly distributed. Bake 35-40 minutes or until the top just begins to brown. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes, and then gently lift the ends of the parchment paper to remove the bars from the dish. Cut into squares.

Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

12 Responses to “Quinoa Breakfast Bars”

1. 1 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I’m sorry you had one of those weeks! No fun at all…
    But on a brighter note, these quinoa breakfast bars seem sure to turn a bad day into a good one! Love creative, yummy recipes with quinoa.

2. 2 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Apple is not the easiest to deal with – I’ve had my fair share of difficulties with them over the past few years! Sorry for your frustration! However, these bars look wonderful – I love how seedy and hearty they are! I must bake more with quinoa.

3. 3 Tracey Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 2:27 pm

The battery on my Apple laptop died back in December and I still haven’t dealt with it. I’m out of warranty so I’m just going to do it myself because the thought of going to the Apple store makes me cringe! Glad you got yours all fixed up :) Your bars look awesome, I am loving quinoa these days!

4. 4 Shaina Olmanson Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I would never have thought to use it in a breakfast bar this way. I have a giant tub, and I’ll have to give these a go. I’m glad you’re up and running again with the laptop.

5. 5 stephchows Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

OOO Totally adding this to the list of things to make!! Where did you get the millet from? Natures market section?

6. 6 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Now you’re scaring me – I know my laptop battery is losing juice, and I’ve got a Mac too. Maybe I should make a preventative appointment… and bring one of these crunchy-looking bars with me while I wait.

7. 7 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    March 13th, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Heh. We made cereal bars today with puffed millet and I thought that was original, but you’ve got me beat. These look great!

8. 8 Monica De Angelis Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Wait – so is the millet and the quinoa uncooked? Isn’t that a little… hard?

9. 9 Tracy Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Monica – Yes. But, when you add in the honey/date mixture and then bake them, they soften up. They’ll still have a nice crunch when they’re finished though, so if you’re worried that you won’t like the texture, you can always use puffed millet and/or quinoa to make them less crunchy. Hope that helps!

10. 10 DessertForTwo Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Wow! This looks like my new go-to breakfast! THanks :)

11. 11 Kim - Liv Life Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 12:50 am

Yep… I’ve had those weeks. Fingers crossed that the next one will make up for this one!!
    LOVE these breakfast bars. Not sure I would have put all the ingredients together, but now that I see the recipe, I think they are simply perfect. I’ve never used milled before, but I’m just now adding it to my list!

12. 12 Jen @ Savory Simple Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

These just immediately went to the top of my list. I love quinoa and millet! These are gorgeous.