Blackberry and White Chocolate Scones

If you’ve been reading for a while, I’m sure by now you’ve noticed that I have a slight obsession with making every possible type of scone on the planet. However, I can’t take credit for today’s version – this one came from my sister! When I asked her what type of scone I should try next, she immediately responded with raspberry and white chocolate. I thought it was a great idea, except that I didn’t have any raspberries on hand. I did have a handful of blackberries frozen from when I went blackberry picking with a friend last summer though, so I decided to use those instead – I simply chopped them up so that we wouldn’t end up crunching on a whole blackberry. I glazed half of the scones right away, and then asked on Instagram whether I should keep going – of course, all the votes were for glaze! The hubby nabbed one of the unglazed scones though, and declared that those were much better suited for breakfast, while the glazed ones are perfect for dessert. However you decide to make them, make them soon and enjoy!

• 3 cups unbleached flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup half and half
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
  • 3 ounces fresh or frozen blackberries, chopped

For the glaze:

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.

Cut the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces, and using a pastry blender, incorporate into the dry ingredients. In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half and half, and vanilla extract. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and then fold in the white chocolate chips and blackberries. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead to combine. If you’re not using a scone pan, separate the dough into halves. Shape each half of dough into a circle, and then cut each half into four wedges. If you are using a scone pan, spray it lightly with cooking spray. Divide the dough into equal pieces and press them into the pan.

Place the scones in the freezer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Then, remove the scones and put them right in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Let cool completely before glazing.

23 Responses to “Blackberry and White Chocolate Scones”

1. 1 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I love the look of these! Yum!

2. 2 Cookbook Queen Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

These look absolutely AMAZING!!! I’d give anything to have one for breakfast RIGHT NOW.

3. 3 Allison Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Wish I had seen this recipe an hour ago! I just pulled a batch of scones out of the oven . . . but I really should have added blackberries and white chocolate. Next time!

P.S. These photos look as delicious as I’m sure the scones taste

4. 4 Shaina Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I need these in my morning routine. Blackberries and white chocolate in a scone and some Highlander Grogg…while reading a book instead of working…while I’m dreaming.

5. 5 Stephanie Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I’m trying my hand at scone making this month! These looks delicious! =)

6. 6 Sarah Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

These look amazing. Make sure to thank your sister. :0)

7. 7 Stephchows Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:55 pm

So pretty!!

8. 8 Becca- Cookie Jar Treats Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Scones are delicious. I haven’t made scones in so long, which is sad. These look beautiful :)

9. 9 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Scones are one of those things I should make more often for breakfasts on the go. I tend to gravitate toward muffins but scones aren’t much more work! All of that to say, these look and sound incredible. I’m so excited that berry season approaching (actually, it’s just about here already in north FL!).

10. 10 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    March 5th, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Every time you post about scones, my knees go weak. This combo is a dynamic one! Now I’m longing for one or two. Glazed or not, I need to taste them!

11. 11 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    March 6th, 2013 at 12:59 am

I just got myself a scone pan and have been itching to use it!

12. 12 Marilyn Says:
    March 6th, 2013 at 8:26 am

I, too, have an unhealthy scone addiction. :-) A good weekend is one that involves a trip to our local tea shop for a pot of our favorite and a scone the size of my fist. :-) The white chocolate glaze on these look particularly lovely.

13. 13 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    March 6th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Oh my goodness, I would love one of these for my breakfast right now! White chocolate and berry (just about any kind of berry) is a sure thing combination… These are so pretty :)

14. 14 Amanda Says:
    March 6th, 2013 at 9:45 am

These are my two favorite flavors in the whole world… so you get a great big thumbs up!!! Love the glaze and everything about them!

15. 15 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    March 6th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Blackberries are my favorite summer fruit. I love that you used them here, but I have to tell you I think Chris is crazy. Always glaze!

16. 16 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    March 6th, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Oh my these look so amazing. I cannot wait to make this recipe.

17. 17 Wendy Says:
    March 6th, 2013 at 10:45 pm

These look like they would be perfect with a cup of tea. Scones are such a cozy winter treat. Thanks for the recipe!

18. 18 Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen Says:
    March 6th, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love berries with white chocolate. They really help cut some of its sweetness! These look delicious!

19. 19 Jen @ Savory Simple Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 9:40 am

I can’t say I blame you, scones are the best! These look fabulous.

20. 20 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 11:42 am

The blackberry and white chocolate combination sounds perfect for scones!

21. 21 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    March 11th, 2013 at 1:30 am

These look deliciously decadent, Tracy! I am a big scone lover too, especially for breakfast, so I will try these glaze-free!

22. 22 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    March 11th, 2013 at 7:57 pm

After years of feeling “meh” about white chocolate, I’m suddenly obsessed with it – you’re not helping here! :)

23. 23 jenn Says:
    July 1st, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I made these last night & they are delicious!! I used a heart cookie cutter and they turned out super cute. I took them to work and they were a hit, will def be making them again & might try raspberries next time. :)