Cherry Chocolate Truffles

Although I already shared a recipe for white chocolate strawberry thumbprint cookies for Valentine’s Day last week, I couldn’t help but share another recipe that falls more into the “rich and decadent chocolate” category – especially since for those of us who suffer from peanut/nut allergies, it’s very frustrating to find any chocolate nowadays that isn’t processed in a facility with peanuts, tree nuts, and a number of other things. Fortunately, there are still a couple of brands that make regular milk or dark chocolate chips that are safe, so if you have a bag or two on hand you can easily whip up these tasty truffles. If you don’t like cherries, you can substitute strawberry or seedless raspberry jam, or even an orange marmalade if you like the combination of citrus and chocolate. However you make them, enjoy them with someone special, and have a happy Valentine’s Day!

Place the chopped chocolate in a medium-sized bowl.

In a small saucepan, scald the cream and butter (bring almost to a boil). Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir until smooth.

Stir in the jam, extract, and salt. Place plastic wrap over the top of the bowl and let chill for about 2 hours or until firm.

Using a small scoop, form the chocolate into 1″ balls. Roll each ball in cocoa powder and then place back in the refrigerator until firm again.

Store truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to two weeks. Makes 12-15 truffles.

Posted by on February 13, 2013.

Tags:

1. Who doesn’t love truffles?! These look sinful…in the best way possible, of course!
    Happy Valentine’s tomorrow!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Feb 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm

2. My hubby is a chocolate/cherry lover … I may need to make these for Valentine’s Day!

by Brenda on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:31 pm

3. I have some brandied cherries. Do you think those mixed in the jam would be ok? This recipe screams Valentines Day to me.
    Thanks for the great recipe.

by Sharon on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:41 pm

4. Anything involving cherries and chocolate and I’m in!! Love that you used jam in these! I want to try making them with a cherry in the center too! Like a fun little surprise!

by Stephchows on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm

5. I adore truffles…somehow they don’t seem that bad for you since they’re bite sized πŸ™‚ Love that you made these cherry flavored! Sounds yummy!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:14 pm

6. These are adorable! Love cherry liqueur in it! Didn’t know that truffles can be kept up to two weeks. Thanks for the recipe and the info!

by zerrin on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm

7. This looks great! It’s definitely becoming a part of my future To-Do list! πŸ™‚

by Stephanie (Velez Delights) on Feb 14, 2013 at 11:07 am

8. These look decadent, Tracy. I’ve never made truffles before but I’d definitely like to try!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Feb 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm

9. I never seem to have the patience to make things like truffles, but if I ever do, I’ll have to try these! Chocolate and cherry are such an awesome combination.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Feb 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

10. These are so adorable! I’m obsessed with anything involving truffles, and the cherry addition makes these absolute perfection!

by Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm

11. I made these and just shared the recipe with a link back to you. YUMMY !!!

by Brenda on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm