Baked Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts

Of all the baked doughnuts I’ve made so far using my doughnut pan, I think these are my favorite. It could just be that I’ve been on a chocolate kick lately, but something about these rich, double-glazed doughnuts really hit the spot. Or, maybe it’s because they remind me of the ones I used to get as a kid when my mom and I stopped by the bakery for a special treat, only healthier since they’re baked instead of fried. Either way, I’m totally digging these, and I think you will too! Just make sure that you have a big glass of milk or hot cup of coffee nearby before you make them.Β Enjoy, and have a wonderful weekend!

For the glaze:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray a doughnut pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, sugars, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until blended. Spoon the batter into the doughnut pan until 2/3 full.

Bake 12-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool and then carefully turn out of the pan.

To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl. If the glaze is too thick for dipping, add a little more milk as needed. Dip each doughnut in the glaze. Add sprinkles if desired. Makes 6 doughnuts.

Posted by on January 31, 2013.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. What’s not to love about a chocolate donut – that’s glazed?! Yes, please, for breakfast or dessert!
    Love the new image at the top of your page! πŸ™‚

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:56 am

2. What’s not to love about a glazed chocolate donut? I definitely need to get a donut pan………..

Love, love, love your new screen page design!

by Naomi on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:10 pm

3. I like the sprinkles, adds a nice pop of color to the photo πŸ™‚ I wish I had one here now to eat!!

by Stephchows on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:12 pm

4. I could use a few of these this morning! πŸ™‚ Look so delish!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:16 pm

5. I recently got a donut pan and haven’t baked anything in it … yet! This will be the first thing πŸ™‚ I pinned it

by Brenda on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:46 pm

6. The glazed chocolate flavor is the only Dunkin Donuts flavor I truly crave – these look like the exact same thing!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jan 31, 2013 at 1:38 pm

7. These look fabulous! I just got a donut pan, and have been looking for a reliable chocolate donut recipe! Pinning this to make soon πŸ™‚

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:16 pm

8. P.S. I may be completely oblivious and it may have changed awhile ago, but I really like your new blog header!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:17 pm

9. Chocolate baked donuts? YES PLEASE!!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm

10. Fabulous! I bought a doughnut pan about a year ago that’s gotten very little use. I must change that sad fact very soon, and this looks like a great recipe to start with.
    Love your new design too! πŸ™‚

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:11 pm

11. These sound so scrumptious, and I love the new design! So fun!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:47 pm

12. I adore baked donuts, these look fantastic. I can’t wait to try.

by tracy {pale yellow} on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm

13. I’ve been craving chocolate doughnuts in a major way lately. Thanks for coming to the rescue, I definitely need to make these asap!

by Tracey on Jan 31, 2013 at 7:52 pm

14. These look soooo good! Chocolate is never the donut flavor I typically go for, but you’ve got me rethinking that whole situation!

by Ari @ Ari's Menu on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:32 pm

15. I want to eat it. Please tell me you’re moving across the street.

by Shaina on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm

16. Oh YUM!
    I am going to try to make these with gluten free flour!
    I need a donut pan… do you think it would work in a n electric donut-maker? (have one of those!)
    I may just have to experiment tonight.
    mmmmmmm

by eliz on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:14 pm

17. First off, I’d like to say I’m digging the new layout πŸ™‚ It’s very pretty.

Now I’m going to compliment you on these donuts. Donuts are slowly becoming some of my favorite things to bake. And these look like Oreo donuts, something I’m also really starting to like right now. πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to try these!

by Becca- Cookie Jar Treats on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm

18. I just HAD to try these last night– Thank you so much for the inspiration!
    I used King Arthur Gluten Free flour, and baked them in a mimi-donut maker. They turned out amazing, and are DELICIOUS!! The recipe made 15 mini donuts.
    There aren’t many left this morning πŸ™‚

by eliz on Feb 2, 2013 at 8:58 am

19. Oh my these look amazing. I love making baked donuts!

by katie on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:50 am

20. I, like Maggie in comments 7-8, recently purchased a donut pan as well. I’ve been looking for an easy, yummy-looking recipe and this is definitely both! Trying them out tonight! Thank you!

by Cody on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:31 pm

21. I’m assuming I can find this pan at Micheals or William Sonoma???

YUM!