Chocolate Cream Pie

Happy Thanksgiving! As promised, today I’m back with a pie for dessert, just in case you’re looking for some last-minute inspiration. Although I do have recipes for twists on both apple and pumpkin pies, today I’m posting a recipe using something that my sister and I feel is often overlooked on Thanksgiving dessert tables: chocolate. This chocolate cream pie comes together as easily as my chocolate banana cream pie, especially if you already have a pie crust in your freezer that you can pull out the morning of or even the day before Thanksgiving if you want to blind bake the crust beforehand to save on oven space. Without further ado, here is the recipe. Have a wonderful day with family and friends, and enjoy the holiday!

For the pie: 1 pie crust

For the chocolate filling:

For the whipped cream topping:

Roll out the pie crust to 1/8? thick. Place in a pie dish and crimp the edges, if desired.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper on the crust, and then fill the crust with pie weights, dried beans, or dried rice. Blind bake the crust for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely before filling.

Place the the chocolate and butter in a large mixing bowl.

Then, in a medium sauce pan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. Stir in 1/2 cup of cream until smooth, and then whisk in the egg yolks. Gradually whisk in the remaining cream and milk and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.Β Remove the pan from the heat and pour the cream mixture over the chocolate mixture. Strain to remove any lumps, if desired (I didn’t).

Pour the filling into the pie crust and then press plastic wrap directly to the surface of the filling to prevent a film from forming on the top. Refrigerate at least two hours or until set.

In a medium bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Pipe the whipped cream on top and chill until ready to serve. Garnish with mini chocolate chips, if desired.

Posted by on November 22, 2012.

1. What a gorgeous pie! I adore chocolate, so I wouldn’t mind a slice of this any time of year! I have a potentially dumb question, mostly because I rarely (ever) make pies. When you blind bake a crust, what do you do with the rice/beans afterwards. Can they still be used/cooked?
    Happy Thanksgiving Tracy!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Nov 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm

2. I’ve never made a chocolate pie and they look so fabulous! Great recipe πŸ™‚

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Nov 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

3. This looks so good! I was just saying last night I think I’ll make a chocolate cream pie soon (not today, too late!). I will have to tuck away your recipe. πŸ™‚

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Nov 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm

4. Happy Thanksgiving, lady! This looks fabulous… might have to be a last-minute addition to our dinner tomorrow. Hope all is well with you!

by Marie on Nov 22, 2012 at 5:51 pm

5. This looks great!

I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving πŸ™‚

by Becca - Cookie Jar Treats on Nov 23, 2012 at 10:06 am

6. What a beautiful pie! Love how easy it is! Definitely will be keeping this in mind for upcoming Christmas parties!

by Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on Nov 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

7. I always like a bit of chocolate at Thanksgiving. You can never go wrong.

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Nov 24, 2012 at 12:00 am

8. Amanda – Not a dumb question at all! I wouldn’t eat the rice or beans once used, but I do keep using the same ones over and over again for pie weights – it’s a cheap and easy solution! πŸ™‚

by Tracy on Nov 24, 2012 at 3:32 pm

9. Chocolate cream pie is a favorite of mine. Yours looks delicious!

by Kristen on Nov 26, 2012 at 7:02 pm

10. This pie is gorgeous! That chocolate cream layer looks absolutely perfect!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Nov 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm

11. Mmmm chocolate pie! Yes, yes yes.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Nov 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm

12. I love what you did with the topping! The last time I made chocolate cream pie I figured the weighting wasn’t that big of a deal. Big mistake. I’m using beans for sure next time!

by Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:37 pm

13. This pie looks amazing. I love chocolate pies, though I haven’t ever tasted a pumpkin pie yet. Need to make one someday soon.

by Avanika {Yumsilicious Bakes} on Dec 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm

14. Oh my word…this pie needs to happen. That filling!!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Dec 4, 2012 at 9:23 am