Cranberry-Pear Crumble

Now that November is here, my holiday cooking and baking plans are in full swing. I have lists of Thanksgiving sides and desserts I want to try out for the main event this year, and I’m looking forward to posting about the keepers. I’ve even been jotting down some ideas for Christmas cookies already, which I also can’t wait to share! In the meantime though, things are a little busy around here as I wrap up this year’s farmers market season with holiday events – assembling gift boxes and baskets, filling orders, and as always encouraging people to shop local. So today, I’m sharing an easy autumn dessert that doesn’t take much time at all to put together. While I’m pretty partial to pie for Thanksgiving dessert, I’m definitely thinking about serving this for brunch the next day. Whether you make it around Thanksgiving or not, I hope you’ll give it a try. Enjoy!

For the crisp topping:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish or a casserole dish. In a large pot, combine the cranberries and water. Cook at medium heat 15-20 minutes or until the cranberries pop and reduce to a thick sauce.

Stir in the orange zest and sugars, then add in the pear slices. Stir to combine.

To make the topping, in a medium bowl, use a pastry blender to combine all of the topping ingredients, leaving pea-sized chunks of butter throughout.

Pour the cranberry-pear mixture into the prepared dish.

Sprinkle with the topping (since I used a 1.6 L casserole dish instead of a 9×13″ dish, I only used about 1/2 of the topping).

Bake 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.

Serve warm.

Posted by on November 6, 2012.

1. I love anything with fresh cranberries!

by Sarah on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm

2. Awww yeah. Pure deliciousness!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Nov 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm

3. What a gorgeous color – one of the things that I try to do with my Thanksgiving table is make sure that I’m not serving all brown foods. This fits the bill spectacularly!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Nov 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm

4. I love crisps! Pear and cranberry are great together too!

by Cassie | Bake Your Day on Nov 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

5. What a great fall dessert! Love the cranberry pear combination!

by Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on Nov 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

6. I have extra cranberry sauce on my hands right now, and pears have been dirt cheap lately… maybe I will have to make myself a little mini crisp… and I think I will have to top it with ice cream. 🙂

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Nov 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

7. yummy!!

by Nicole Underwood on Nov 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

8. I love cranberries and pears together. A crisp is such a fresh easy dessert and this one with some of my favorite flavors looks divine!

by Kate | Food Babbles on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm

9. Perfect timing, I just picked up my first bag of cranberries this season and was just contemplating what to make, a crisp it is!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Nov 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm

10. What a great combination! I love when cranberries start appearing at the store…

by Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen on Nov 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm

11. Cranberries and pears and sweet deliciousness. I love that you didn’t pair them with apples, choosing pears instead. Yerm.

by Shaina on Nov 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm

12. vibrant, gorgeous, tasty

by jennifurla on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm

13. Such a beautiful dessert! Love the bright colors from the cranberries. I bet it tastes as delicious as it is beautiful!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Nov 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm

14. Oh wow, this looks and sounds amazing!!

by JulieD on Nov 20, 2012 at 11:25 am