Pumpkin Hot Wings

I’m a little late posting this week due to the hurricane weather on Monday and Tuesday, and then scrambling around to get ready for trick or treaters yesterday. Still, I am very grateful. Despite the bottled water and bags of ice I picked up before the storm hit, we never lost water or power, and there was no serious damage done outside. A lot of people, especially friends in NYC and NJ, are dealing with a much worse situation right now. For many of them, it’ll be weeks before their power is restored and life can get back to normal…and many more will have to find a new normal, rebuilding what was destroyed by the storm. So today, I have the kind of food that invites a get-together: the casual kind of food where everyone pulls up a chair and digs in while chatting about life, from the big to the small things, because it helps us find comfort. And, even though the wing sauce is hot, you can still taste a little sweetness from the pumpkin. I’m thinking they’ll be great for Thanksgiving as well – perfect football food for when the games begin. Either way, serve these hot – and make sure to enjoy them with family and friends!

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the chicken on top and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.

Bake 30 minutes, turning every 10 or so minutes until the chicken is cooked through and golden in color.

To make the wing sauce, combine the Frank’s, pumpkin, garlic powder, brown sugar, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, cinnamon, Worcestershire sauce, and cider vinegar. Let simmer for a few minutes until hot and slightly thickened, and then remove from the heat.

Toss the cooked wings with the hot sauce to coat.

Serve immediately and enjoy!

Posted by on November 1, 2012.

Categories: appetizers

1. Tracy, these look phenomenal! I have leftover pumpkin puree in my fridge – freezing it until I have a chance to make these next week.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm

2. You are so smart! I’m not normally a wings person, but these? These I will eat. A lot of.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm

3. Pumpkin…wings? I don’t even have words.

by Jorja on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm

4. These are such a good idea! I love pumpkin, I love wings…I never would have thought to combine them on my own though!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm

5. Brilliant idea! Love it, Tracy!

by Sarah on Nov 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

6. looks and sounds wonderful. so sorry for those hit by the storm.

by Lorie on Nov 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

7. They look incredible! I love the vivid color…I’m so intrigued by the sweet/hot combination.

by Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen on Nov 2, 2012 at 10:41 am

8. This is such a great idea! Glad to hear that you are safe!

by Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on Nov 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

9. So glad you weathered the storm OK! Your wings sound so good, the pumpkin is a wonderful addition. Brilliant!

by Veronica on Nov 2, 2012 at 11:53 am

10. I would have never in my lifetime thought to use pumpkin puree on my wings! This is a recipe I am going to try it sounds like it would be really good.

by Cindy Brickley on Nov 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm

11. What is the cornstarch for? The sauce? Dredging the wings?

by Doup on Nov 3, 2012 at 6:43 am

12. This recipe looks fantastic. I cannot to try it out.

by carolinaheartstrings on Nov 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm

13. Doup – The cornstarch was a typo – sorry about that! I thought I might need it to help thicken up the sauce, but it was thick enough on its own. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Nov 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm

14. Thanks Tracy!

I’d give the recipe as written a 8.5/10. I did use buffalo style wings instead of the little wings. It was a little hotter than Wing Stops “Hot wings”. Not much of a pumpkin flavor. If I do them for Turkey Day football, I’m going to double the pumpkin & cinnamon. 1/8th of a tsp isn’t enough for any type of noticeable flavor.

by Doup on Nov 3, 2012 at 11:47 pm

15. These are definitely happening in my kitchen soon!

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Nov 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm

16. Woah. I would never have thought to put pumpkin in there…genius!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Nov 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm

17. You are so stinking creative. I never ever would have thought of combining those two flavors! I love it.

by Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch on Nov 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm