Pumpkin Spice English Muffins

I’m not really sure how I managed to make it to mid-October this year with only one pumpkin recipe, so I’m remedying that today! While pumpkin is one of my favorite things to bake with in the fall, I’ve been so busy with the end of the farmers markets this month and holiday orders that I haven’t been able to do as much baking as I’d like. I had a bit of time in the kitchen yesterday though, so I decided to cook up a batch of these English muffins that I’ve had on my to-do list for a while. Like my pumpkin bagels, they’re a perfect way to get a taste of fall in the morning, although rather than cream cheese I like to put butter or even pumpkin butter on them. I got about 21 muffins from this batch, so I popped most of them in the freezer for later; they defrost and toast up beautifully. Enjoy!

Pour the water into a large bowl. Stir in the yeast, baking soda, and 2 cups of bread flour. Let sit while you beat the egg whites.

In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they have formed stiff peaks.

Gently fold the pumpkin and egg whites into the batter. Fold in the salt and spices.

Stir in the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time. When the mixture becomes hard to mix, scoop out on to a floured surface and knead until smooth, adding additional flour if needed. Spray a clean bowl with cooking spray (I used an olive oil spray) and place the dough inside.

Cover and let rise about an hour.

When the dough has doubled in size, place it on to a floured surface and roll out to 1/2″ thick. Allow the dough to rest 2-3 minutes. Using a 3″ biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Sprinkle the cut circles with cornmeal. Repeat until all the dough has been used – I got about 21 muffins.

Let the muffins rest 45 minutes until about doubled again.

When ready to cook, heat a griddle or frying pan to medium heat. Add some oil, and then cook each muffin for 8 minutes on each side. Let cool and then enjoy with butter or jam!

Posted by on October 23, 2012.

Categories: breads & pastries, breakfast & brunch

1. Oh my gosh what!? I can have pumpkin in my English muffins!? LOVE

by Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:05 am

2. I would LOVE having one of these to eat right now. They look amazing!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

3. Total and complete GENIUS!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:14 am

4. Whoa! Serious awesomeness!

by Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:19 am

5. Those look delicious!

by Sarah on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:28 am

6. These look so scrumptious, thanks! :)

by Leann on Oct 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm

7. Wantttttttt.

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Oct 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm

8. They look so good!! Can you bake these? I always hate the mess when frying. I try to avoid it.

by Sharon on Oct 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm

9. Yeah, more pumpkin recipes! :)

And yum. I love English muffins but never thought of a pumpkin version. Genius!

by Erin @ Texanerin Baking on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm

10. These are an awesome idea to use up pumpkin! Yum!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Oct 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

11. look yummy!! I will make them soon. Big Pumpkin Fan

by Julie Depue on Oct 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

12. Oh my goodness. These look so nice. You are the first blogger I seen post about pumpkin English muffins.

by Becca- Cookie Jar Treats on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

13. I am so making these!

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm

14. Absolutely gorgeous! I’ve never seen pumpkin english muffins before. What a great start to a fall morning!

by Karly on Oct 25, 2012 at 10:20 pm

15. I’ve never thought of trying pumpkin english muffins before. Great idea!

by Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on Oct 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm

16. These look so good! I made English muffin bread in a loaf last week but not individual. This is inspired and awesome – I need to try. And with pumpkin …nice!

by Averie @ Averie Cooks on Oct 28, 2012 at 12:55 am

17. I’ve had some less-than-tasty attempts at making my own English muffins – they always turn out too dry. I have a feeling that these won’t have that problem!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm

18. Ahhh, I want these! I need to make these, they look so perfect. Maybe I will make them for Thanksgiving :)

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Oct 29, 2012 at 8:13 pm

19. What gorgeous photos! This post is making me very hungry – no joke. I have been totally obsessed with pumpkin recipes all month and I can’t wait to try these – I’m thinking breakfast tomorrow morning is going to be great.

by Allison on Oct 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm

20. This my be my favorite pumpkin recipe yet! These are so perfect, Tracy!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm

21. I have been itching to try making my own english muffins for a while now. I love the pumpkin twist in this recipe!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm

22. I FINALLY made homemade bread and bagels this week, so I’m on a total yeast kick. Maybe these will be my next project?

And you asked how to go about getting my book. Amazon has a bunch of options for reading kindle books if you don’t have a kindle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

And here’s the link to my book again, in case you lost it. Also, I can’t wait to see you guys in a month! :D http://www.amazon.com/Passions-Tide-ebook/dp/B0094YDMUI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346685258&sr=8-3&keywords=passion%27s+tide

by Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch on Nov 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm