Fair Trade Chocolate & Coffee Quick Bread

Continuing the celebration of Fair Trade month, today I have a recipe for you using some Fair Trade Certified products! Earlier this month, the kind people over at Fair Trade USA sent me a basket of products donated by each participating brand to help spread the message that every purchase matters. In case you haven’t heard of Fair Trade USA, they are the leading third-party certifier of Fair Trade products here in the US. They are the ones auditing transactions between companies and their international suppliers to guarantee compliance with Fair Trade policies; they also work to educate consumers, bring new retailers and manufacturers into the Fair Trade system, and provide farming communities with tools and training resources.

I was delighted to see some familiar brands in the package I was sent, such as Twinings tea, Green Mountain Coffee, and Near East quinoa, which I always have stocked in my pantry…but there were also a few brands that I wasn’t familiar with, so I was excited to learn about them. Using the Green Mountain brewed coffee and the new-to-me Sunspire chocolate chips, I whipped up these simple mini loaves. They make a perfect snack or a gift, not to mention that with the glaze, they taste just like chocolate-glazed doughnuts. I can’t wait to try out the other goodies in my kitchen as well!

One more reminder – don’t forget to enter my Fair Trade giveaway, courtesy of Green Mountain Coffee, for a cute new orange Keurig Mini Plus Brewing System and a box of Fair Trade Certified pumpkin spice K-Cup packs. To enter, leave a comment over on that post letting me know your favorite kind of Green Mountain Coffee by Sunday, October 21st at midnight.

Happy Fair Trade month and have a wonderful weekend!

For the bread:

For the glaze:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 3 mini loaf pans. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder.

In another large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg, and then add in the vanilla, olive oil, and coffee.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Let cool completely before glazing.

To make the glaze, in a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, water, and vanilla. Pour over the tops of the mini loaves.

Posted by on October 18, 2012.

Tags: , ,

Categories: breads & pastries, breakfast & brunch, desserts & sweets

1. I love that you’re starting your day with chocolate mmm mmm

by Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on Oct 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm

2. I sm not a coffee person, but I must admit that this cake looks very good :) Nice and chocolatey :D

by Becca- Cookie Jar Treats on Oct 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

3. Maybe I live under a rock, but I had no idea it was Fair Trade Month! This bread looks like the perfect way to mark the occasion.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Oct 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

4. I agree: this bread looks and sounds delish. Don’t have mini pans – could it be made in a 9×5 loaf pan instead, and then adjust the baking time to probably close to 1 hour? Hope so!

by Debbie on Oct 19, 2012 at 9:17 am

5. (In response to Debbie’s comment)

Same here! I hope you can do what Debbie suggests! Please reply Tracy! Love your site, by the way!

by Naomi on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:48 am

6. Debbie & Naomi – You absolutely can bake this up in a 9×5″ loaf pan, and yes, adjust the baking time to about an hour. Enjoy!!

by Tracy on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm

7. WOO HOO!!! Thanks, Tracy… I do believe you’ve made both Naomi and me very happy!

by Debbie on Oct 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

8. Uh oh… Tracy’s got some new chocolate chips to play with! Everyone look out…

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Oct 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

9. The quick bread looks delicious! The chocolate/coffee combo is always such a delicious one. And the glaze puts it over the top!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Oct 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

10. Coffee and chocolate together in a quick bread? Sign me up! Sounds like a great way to start the day!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Oct 22, 2012 at 12:20 am

11. I made this bread today and it is so good! Very easy to throw together and great flavor combo. Thanks for the great recipe!

by Amanda on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm

12. I made this twice and am finding the loaf to be dry. Why am I doing wrong? I put the batter in a 9×5 pan and reduced the baking time to 40 minutes.

by Erin on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm

13. Erin – Without looking over your shoulder, it’s hard to know exactly what went wrong…typically baking something in a full loaf pan that was originally baked in mini loaf pans will take longer though, so I’d start there. I’d recommend perhaps lowering the temperature to 325 degrees, baking for about 25 minutes, then checking with a toothpick every five minutes after that. When the toothpick comes out clean, it’s done. Then, make a note of the adjusted baking time on the recipe. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Feb 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm