Apple Cider Spice Bread

Is anyone else wondering where September went? I always feel like fall flits by more quickly than I would like it to, but for some reason this year seems extra busy. I’ve been making a conscious effort lately to slow down, take a deep breath of cool, crisp air, and try to refocus. I find it especially important to do in the morning, when I’m already starting to feel overwhelmed by the list of to-dos that stretches out before me. Lately, it’s been as simple as a hot cup of coffee and a little nibble, a few quiet moments to myself before taking on the day…and that’s where this apple cider spice bread comes into play. It’s simple, seasonal, and one of those snacks you probably already have all the ingredients for in your pantry already since it’s the season for apple cider. Make this bread – heck, you can even glaze it if you want – and have a little “you” time. Have a wonderful week!

• 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp molasses
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or apple butter
  • 2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan. I a large bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, brown sugar, molasses, apple cider, and applesauce.

Whisk in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake about an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

15 Responses to “Apple Cider Spice Bread”

1. 1 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

This looks fabulous! Loving apple breads right now :)

2. 2 Sarah Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love anything with apple cider in it!

3. 3 Sarah Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Anything with nutmeg is OK with me! :0)

4. 4 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I AM in fact wondering where September went! Fall is my favorite season – I’m not ready to rush into winter yet. Give me more time with orange leaves, apple cider, comfy sweaters, and football games!

5. 5 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I want a slice of this. I’d be extremely happy having a loaf to myself lol ;)

6. 6 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Beautiful bread! And yes, I frequently wonder where the heck the time goes – Christmas will be here before we know it!

7. 7 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I’m totally down with the glaze idea – this is a real stunner, Tracy.

8. 8 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

NO idea where September went but i am loving this bread, Tracy! We just went apple picking and so have a good stash on hand for baking.

9. 9 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

That is the perfect bread. I cannot wait to make this one. I know it will be a new family favorite. Come and visit us. We have a wonderful giveaway this week. You will love it.

10. 10 Erin @ Texanerin Baking Says:
    October 10th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I couldn’t wait for September to be done with! October is my favorite month. :)

And this bread looks amazing! Love that it’s whole wheat.

11. 11 Laurie Says:
    October 14th, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I made this today. Perfect texture, warm & cozy flavor. I will up the spices next time even more than I did, but it’s already delicious. I swapped out half the butter for half as much yogurt and opted for apple butter instead of applesauce since we’d just picked some up at a local farm. Oh, and mine was done in 30 minutes. (I didn’t use a glass pan, which may be partly why.) Anyway, terrific recipe. I put it on my baking blog with a link to here, thanks so much!

12. 12 Allison Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Perfect timing! I was just saying out loud yesterday that I’ve seen so many good pumpkin bread recipes, but not very many apple bread recipes. I happen to have tons of applesauce that I just canned, so I’m adding this to the fall queue.

13. 13 Marilyn Says:
    October 16th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I’m really hoping that since I can’t stop thinking about this recipe, I will actually make it this weekend. :-)

14. 14 Veronica Says:
    October 20th, 2012 at 5:04 am

I KNEW there was a reason I just HAD to buy apple cider! yup, along with homemade applesauce, I need to use it in this bread. It looks soo good and I love that it is made with whole wheat flour. Could it BE any prettier? Bravo!

15. 15 Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch Says:
    October 24th, 2012 at 11:35 am

Love, I am so sorry I have fallen out of touch with you! It’s been a hectic two months since we hung out, and that needs to be remedied. Also, I need to make this recipe!