I realized the other day that I really don’t use my doughnut pan enough…so, I decided that for this month’s Keurig K-Cup Ambassador post, I would do something a little different. Green Mountain Naturals sent out samples of their hot apple cider K-Cups now that the weather has turned a little cooler, so I decided to use the cider to create a fun fall recipe. You may remember my apple cider doughnut holes from a couple years ago, and while they were quick to disappear to family and friends, they were a little messy to make with the fryer. I decided to adapt that recipe to make some healthier, baked doughnuts using my doughnut pan – and of course, hot apple cider brewed fresh with my Keurig brewer. For the salted caramel sauce, I simply followed Michelle’s recipe and directions- no need to mess with perfection! Or, if you don’t want to make your own, you can always use store-bought and simply heat it up in the microwave for a few seconds to make it nice and spreadable. Enjoy!

• 1 cup apple cider
  • 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 3 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Salted caramel sauce, for glazing

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a doughnut pan with cooking spray. In a small sauce pan, boil the apple cider down until it is reduced to 1/4 cup. Allow to cool.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.

In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat in the olive oil, reduced cider, and egg. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients alternately with the milk.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 9-10 minutes or until golden.

Remove the doughnuts from the pan and let cool completely before glazing with the caramel sauce.

Makes 6 doughnuts.

Full disclosure: I am a paid Keurig K-Cup Ambassador, however the opinions expressed here are all my own.

16 Responses to “Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts with Green Mountain Naturals Hot Apple Cider and Salted Caramel Glaze”

1. 1 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    September 18th, 2012 at 11:05 am

Mmmm, such a great way to use apple cider! I, too, have realized I don’t use my donut pan nearly often enough. I have some fall-themed donut recipes (including this one) that I really need to make time for this fall!!

2. 2 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    September 18th, 2012 at 11:06 am

Be still my heart! Tracy, they’re just gorgeous. I can just taste a warm bite with that beautiful caramel sauce right now.

3. 3 Sarah Says:
    September 18th, 2012 at 11:16 am

Sometimes I wish I had a donut pan. These look delicious!

4. 4 Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen Says:
    September 18th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I love apple cider donuts – they’re my favorite part of going pumpkin picking, since they place I go always has them fresh and hot! Nice to know I can make good ones without a fryer!

5. 5 Annamaria @ bakewell junction Says:
    September 18th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

My husband loves apple cider donuts. I don’t have a donut pan but I bet I can make these without the holes in mini pie pans. Thanks for the post.

6. 6 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel Says:
    September 18th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

How fun! I love their cider and these donuts are a perfect Fall treat!

7. 7 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    September 18th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

So true. No need to mess with salted caramel perfection. And I’m so excited it’s apple cider season again!

8. 8 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction Says:
    September 19th, 2012 at 9:48 am

I love how you glazed these with salted caramel sauce!

9. 9 Allison Says:
    September 19th, 2012 at 10:45 am

I didn’t even know there were donut pans! What! I always shape my own. Now I need a pan and I need to try this recipe – perfect for autumn!

10. 10 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    September 19th, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks so delicious. Love the pictures.

11. 11 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    September 19th, 2012 at 7:46 pm

These are just gorgeous, Tracy! You’ve just reminded to that I can totally enjoy a cup of Hot Apple Cider tonight! :)

12. 12 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 1:05 am

I don’t use my doughnut pan enough either! These sure make me want to pull it out though. What a lovely treat for Fall!

13. 13 Vera Zecevic – Cupcakes Garden Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 4:22 am

Wholly, molly! It looks so delicious! Really nice post

14. 14 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    September 21st, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Baked apple cider donuts, SO much healthier than the apple cider donuts everywhere around NY this time of year (but oh, how delicious those are…). These look delicious, if it ever cools off in Florida, I would love to cozy up with one of these and a mug of cider!

15. 15 Kristen Says:
    September 22nd, 2012 at 12:25 am

I had to come right over to see these doughnuts after hearing about them all day. They look AMAZING. Seriously – what a great use of K-Cups!

16. 16 Eva @ Eva Bakes Says:
    January 14th, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I recently discovered apple cider donuts after a work outing to an apple orchard and wanted to recreate them at home. Your recipe is awesome! I’ve linked back to you here: http://evabakes.blogspot.com/2013/01/baked-apple-cider-donuts.html