Apple Pie Steel Cut Oats

When I used to work full-time, breakfast every day was a rare occurrence. Since I worked in an office a half hour away (on good weather days) and I’m not exactly a morning person, I would normally run out the door with my laptop in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. Now that I work for myself, I’ve been putting a conscious effort into starting my days off right with more relaxed, not to mention nutritious, breakfasts. For some reason, I’ve just never been a huge fan of cold cereals. I’ll eat them, but they’re not my favorite. I’ve always enjoyed oatmeal, but it wasn’t until this year that I found a new breakfast love – steel cut oats. They’re chewier than old-fashioned oats, and I love that just like regular oatmeal, I can whip up a bowl in about 10 minutes and then customize it with whatever I’m in the mood for, or whatever is currently in season. Since apple season is underway here, I decided to experiment with an “apple pie” version for breakfast this week, and the results were wonderful. If you haven’t tried steel cut oats yet, I hope you’ll give them a try. Have a great week!

Combine the oats and water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until your desired consistency is reached.

Stir in the maple syrup, milk or cream, brown sugar, and spices. Garnish with apple slices. Serve immediately with another splash of milk or cream, if desired. Makes 2 servings.

Posted by on September 11, 2012.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. These oats look like an awesome way to start the day! Especially in the fall :) So hearty and yummy!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Sep 11, 2012 at 11:10 am

2. This looks lovely and is so awesome for fall! Yum!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Sep 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

3. Such a yummy fall breakfast! I’ve already been stirring pumpkin into my oatmeal even though fall has barely started – I’ll have to try my oats this way too!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Sep 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm

4. I LOVE steel cut oats, but am always looking for ways to jazz them up a bit. Your apple pie version sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try it…on a weekend, of course. During the week I am always racing out the door (usually late) like a crazy person!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Sep 11, 2012 at 2:09 pm

5. Believe it or not, I’ve never tried steel-cut oats. I’ll have to give them a shot!

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Sep 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

6. Steel cut oats are my favorite breakfast when the weather cools off. This looks yummy.

by Allison on Sep 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm

7. I absolutely need to try this since the weather is getting cold! A warm breakfast would be perfect.

by Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

8. A perfect fall breakfast!

by Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on Sep 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm

9. I love steel cut oats and this looks like such a fabulous way to fuel up in the morning. When I was a 9 to 5er I was also really bad about breakfast, now it makes or breaks my day. This looks wonderful!

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm

10. Funny, when I had a long commute, I always had to eat breakfasts like this or my stomach would yell at me halfway into the city. Now I sort of bop around with my coffee and forget to eat!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Sep 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

11. Wow! So tasty! Just made some this morning. Supper yum! I’ve had a jar of cardamon for over a year but never used it, it was really good!

by Meg S. on Sep 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm

12. I have a serious stash of steel-cut oats. All I need now is apples!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:09 am

13. I just picked up a new container of steel-cut oats yesterday. Now if only I could get up early enough to make them before work!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm

14. I really need to get over my fear of steel cut oats. I have a bag in the pantry, but I’m always too afraid to actually try them. This recipe looks really tasty… I need to give it a try this week!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Sep 30, 2012 at 9:39 pm