Bison and Sweet Potato Tacos

I think recipes are best when shared with family and friends. Of course, since I’m a food blogger, I’m always sharing recipes…but I love receiving them, too! I got this recipe from my friend and former boss earlier in the summer after one of our lovely lunch get-togethers, and it has since become a regular in our meal rotation. Healthy and filling, it has been wonderful for lunches and light dinners…and with the abundance of sweet potatoes throughout the fall, I know we’ll have no trouble adapting the recipe as the seasons change. I plan to add in whatever winter squashes are currently in season through the fall and winter, and once fresh peppers are no longer available, I’ll substitute vegetables I’ve frozen over the summer, such as corn or the peas the original recipe calls for. I hope you’ll give it a try and that it’ll become a favorite of yours, too!

Adapted from my friend, who adapted it from The Feed Zone Cookbook by Biju Thomas and Allen Lim.

For the meat:

For the sweet potato filling:

In a sauce pan over medium heat, brown the bison. Add the spices and sugar and cook until the mixture is no longer pink. Season with the lime, and then remove to a bowl to let cool.

Add olive oil to the empty pan and then sauté the potato chunks, onions, and peppers.

Cook until the potatoes are crisp around the edges. Add in the brown sugar and stir.

Add the sweet potato mixture to the bison and stir to combine.

Warm up the tortillas, and then add about a half cup of the mixture to each tortilla. Sprinkle with goat cheese.

Posted by on August 28, 2012.

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. These tacos look picture perfect! They contain some of my favorite ingredients, with the sweet potatoes and goat cheese. I’ve only had bison a couple times but I have enjoyed it, and I bet it tastes great in these tacos. Awesome recipe!!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Aug 28, 2012 at 11:03 am

2. I had a Bison burger in NYC that was *phenomenal*, and I keep meaning to pick some up when I’m at the grocery store. Thanks for the perfect reason to do so, Tracy. You know I’m in, whenever it’s Taco time.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:01 pm

3. Wow….so many favorites, bison, sweet potatoes, and peppers. You know we will use hot peppers….LOL
    Never thought of combining these ingredients….now I will and have a delecious dinner. Love you.

by Mom R. on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

4. Love the sweet potatoes in here, what a great addition.

by Cathy @ Noble Pig on Aug 29, 2012 at 10:11 am

5. Tacos? I’m in! Tracy, you’ve almost got me convinced for a fall meal. 😉

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Aug 29, 2012 at 7:18 pm

6. I have been on a taco kick recently so this is perfect timing!

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Aug 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm

7. Tacos with bison and sweet potato…sound really interesting….never tried bison, in fact i don’t think we get it in this part of the world but nevertheless we can always virtually eat via blogs like urs 😉 Will try it with beef and sweet potato.
    Cheers
    Mj

by Mj@cardamomhills on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

8. They were recently selling bison at the farmer’s market here and I didn’t get any – now I wish I had. I hope they still have it next weekend because this sounds delicious!

by Allison on Sep 3, 2012 at 3:40 pm