Bison and Sweet Potato Tacos

I think recipes are best when shared with family and friends. Of course, since I’m a food blogger, I’m always sharing recipes…but I love receiving them, too! I got this recipe from my friend and former boss earlier in the summer after one of our lovely lunch get-togethers, and it has since become a regular in our meal rotation. Healthy and filling, it has been wonderful for lunches and light dinners…and with the abundance of sweet potatoes throughout the fall, I know we’ll have no trouble adapting the recipe as the seasons change. I plan to add in whatever winter squashes are currently in season through the fall and winter, and once fresh peppers are no longer available, I’ll substitute vegetables I’ve frozen over the summer, such as corn or the peas the original recipe calls for. I hope you’ll give it a try and that it’ll become a favorite of yours, too!

Adapted from my friend, who adapted it from The Feed Zone Cookbook by Biju Thomas and Allen Lim.

For the meat:

• 1 lb ground bison
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • Juice from 1 lime

For the sweet potato filling:

• 1 cup cooked sweet potato, cut into cubes
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 8″ flour tortillas
  • Goat cheese

In a sauce pan over medium heat, brown the bison. Add the spices and sugar and cook until the mixture is no longer pink. Season with the lime, and then remove to a bowl to let cool.

Add olive oil to the empty pan and then sauté the potato chunks, onions, and peppers.

Cook until the potatoes are crisp around the edges. Add in the brown sugar and stir.

Add the sweet potato mixture to the bison and stir to combine.

Warm up the tortillas, and then add about a half cup of the mixture to each tortilla. Sprinkle with goat cheese.

8 Responses to “Bison and Sweet Potato Tacos”

1. 1 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 11:03 am

These tacos look picture perfect! They contain some of my favorite ingredients, with the sweet potatoes and goat cheese. I’ve only had bison a couple times but I have enjoyed it, and I bet it tastes great in these tacos. Awesome recipe!!

2. 2 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I had a Bison burger in NYC that was *phenomenal*, and I keep meaning to pick some up when I’m at the grocery store. Thanks for the perfect reason to do so, Tracy. You know I’m in, whenever it’s Taco time.

3. 3 Mom R. Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 9:13 am

Wow….so many favorites, bison, sweet potatoes, and peppers. You know we will use hot peppers….LOL
    Never thought of combining these ingredients….now I will and have a delecious dinner. Love you.

4. 4 Cathy @ Noble Pig Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 10:11 am

Love the sweet potatoes in here, what a great addition.

5. 5 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Tacos? I’m in! Tracy, you’ve almost got me convinced for a fall meal. ;)

6. 6 Jen @ Savory Simple Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I have been on a taco kick recently so this is perfect timing!

7. 7 Mj@cardamomhills Says:
    August 31st, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Tacos with bison and sweet potato…sound really interesting….never tried bison, in fact i don’t think we get it in this part of the world but nevertheless we can always virtually eat via blogs like urs ;-) Will try it with beef and sweet potato.
    Cheers
    Mj

8. 8 Allison Says:
    September 3rd, 2012 at 3:40 pm

They were recently selling bison at the farmer’s market here and I didn’t get any – now I wish I had. I hope they still have it next weekend because this sounds delicious!