Tomato Pie

I’ve been wanting to make this tomato pie from the moment I saw it on Amber’s blog in June of last year. However, as it often does, the rest of the summer got away from me…and by the time I sorted through my pile of summer to-dos and came upon it in the list again, the weather had already turned cool and fresh tomatoes were long gone. Not wanting to settle, I decided to wait until summer rolled around again and big, juicy heirloom tomatoes were at their peak…and they certainly did not disappoint. I picked up the tomatoes at the farmers market during the week, and then baked up the pie for the hubby and I the following Sunday for brunch. Both of us loved it; we put it in the same category as quiche as a savory breakfast food, and it’s definitely a new summer breakfast staple around here. I hope you’ll give it a try -make it before your local tomatoes disappear until next year!

Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour and Bluebonnets and Brownies.

For the pâte brisee pastry:

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, divided
  • 4-6 Tbsp ice water

For the filling:

• 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 lb fresh Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
  • 1-2 large fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbsp garlic scapes, chopped
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded

To make the pastry, whisk together the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl.

Cut in half the butter until pea-sized pieces remain and the mixture resembles crumbs. Then cut in the second half, leaving larger chunks of butter.

Add the water a few tablespoons at a time until the dough comes together. Press into a disk about an inch thick, and wrap in plastic wrap. Let rest 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and roll out the pastry to fit a 9″ pie dish. Press into the dish and trim any excess pastry. Crimp the edges as desired…I didn’t make mine super fancy; I like the more rustic look.

Spread the mustard over the base of the pie, and then top evenly with the mozzarella slices.

Place tomato slices on top of the mozzarella layer.

Sprinkle with the garlic scapes, oregano, salt, and pepper.

Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden.

Allow to cool slightly before serving.

19 Responses to “Tomato Pie”

1. 1 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 11:03 am

This is the PERFECT dish to use up the several tomatoes I have in my kitchen right now! Gosh this looks delicious. :)

2. 2 Jen @ Savory Simple Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 11:07 am

I think I would devour this gorgeous pie!

3. 3 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 11:55 am

That is SO gorgeous. I wish I weren’t so afraid of pie crust!

4. 4 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Tara, I won’t tell if you use refrigerator pie crust. When I’m in a hurry, I do.

Tracy, your pie is so gorgeous! The use of heirlooms, magnifique! I like that you left out the ham, that makes this perfect for a meatless Monday dinner too.

5. 5 Jenna Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 12:57 pm

That pie looks like a great way to celebrate the end of summer which is suddenly upon us! And how do you think it would freeze? I’m looking for freezer-friendly (and non-casserole) items to stockpile getting ready for Alice’s birth . . .

6. 6 Tracy Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Amber – I didn’t even see the ham in the original recipe – ha! That sounds good too, though. :-)

Jenna – Amber says in her post that the pie freezes well after baking, so I’d definitely make one of these up and stick in the freezer for later!

7. 7 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Tracy, I’m a dummy. I always remember that pie with ham or bacon in it, because when we were making it at KAF, they said they original recipe called for that. Since we had vegetarians in the group, and they knew we’d be transporting the pie, they left it out. I had to go back and read my post to realize I didn’t put it in there when I posted it! Oy vey.

8. 8 Allison Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 3:06 pm

This looks amazing! Almost too pretty to eat. But I think I will make it AND eat it.

9. 9 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar Says:
    August 21st, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I’ve been meaning to make tomato pie for a while now. It’s so pretty!

10. 10 Cheryl Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 9:32 am

What can we use if we don’t have garlic scapes?

11. 11 Cathy @ Noble Pig Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 9:46 am

Honestly I’m drooling…whoa!!!

12. 12 Sharon Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 10:49 am

Your pie looks amazing. The only other one I have ever seen was on Paula Deens recipes. Yours looks even better with the different colored tomatoes. If I recall correctly, Paula had some mayo in hers as well as cheeses. Can’t wait to try yours.

13. 13 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:16 am

This looks so yummy! I could totally get behind this kinda pie!

14. 14 megan @ whatmegansmaking Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:43 am

This looks really good! I’ve tried a tomato pie before and it was awful, but this one looks like something I would like!

15. 15 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 7:13 pm

This is gorgeous! A friend of ours dropped off a tomato pie after we got home from Yellowdog’s surgery, and it was so tasty. I’ve been wanting to make my own ever since. I think this recipe may just be the place to start!

16. 16 Marci Johnson Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Amazing!!! I cannot wait to try this!!!

17. 17 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    August 24th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Those tomatoes look beautiful!! I don’t know if I’ll be able to find fresh tomatoes like that down here — Florida seems to be a month or two ahead on produce, compared to NY. Definitely will try to find some, though! I could use a fun new recipe to try for weekend breakfast!

18. 18 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

That looks fantastic! I cannot wait to try it out.

19. 19 Noel Chapman Says:
    July 10th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

This recipe sounds really good! I make our meal plans around what we have growing in our garden and I’m really looking forward to adding tomatoes from our garden into dishes like this one for our monthly meal plan.