Tomato Pie

I’ve been wanting to make this tomato pie from the moment I saw it on Amber’s blog in June of last year. However, as it often does, the rest of the summer got away from me…and by the time I sorted through my pile of summer to-dos and came upon it in the list again, the weather had already turned cool and fresh tomatoes were long gone. Not wanting to settle, I decided to wait until summer rolled around again and big, juicy heirloom tomatoes were at their peak…and they certainly did not disappoint. I picked up the tomatoes at the farmers market during the week, and then baked up the pie for the hubby and I the following Sunday for brunch. Both of us loved it; we put it in the same category as quiche as a savory breakfast food, and it’s definitely a new summer breakfast staple around here. I hope you’ll give it a try -make it before your local tomatoes disappear until next year!

Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour and Bluebonnets and Brownies.

For the pâte brisee pastry:

For the filling:

To make the pastry, whisk together the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl.

Cut in half the butter until pea-sized pieces remain and the mixture resembles crumbs. Then cut in the second half, leaving larger chunks of butter.

Add the water a few tablespoons at a time until the dough comes together. Press into a disk about an inch thick, and wrap in plastic wrap. Let rest 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and roll out the pastry to fit a 9″ pie dish. Press into the dish and trim any excess pastry. Crimp the edges as desired…I didn’t make mine super fancy; I like the more rustic look.

Spread the mustard over the base of the pie, and then top evenly with the mozzarella slices.

Place tomato slices on top of the mozzarella layer.

Sprinkle with the garlic scapes, oregano, salt, and pepper.

Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden.

Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Posted by on August 21, 2012.

Categories: breakfast & brunch, lunch

1. This is the PERFECT dish to use up the several tomatoes I have in my kitchen right now! Gosh this looks delicious. :)

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:03 am

2. I think I would devour this gorgeous pie!

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

3. That is SO gorgeous. I wish I weren’t so afraid of pie crust!

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

4. Tara, I won’t tell if you use refrigerator pie crust. When I’m in a hurry, I do.

Tracy, your pie is so gorgeous! The use of heirlooms, magnifique! I like that you left out the ham, that makes this perfect for a meatless Monday dinner too.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm

5. That pie looks like a great way to celebrate the end of summer which is suddenly upon us! And how do you think it would freeze? I’m looking for freezer-friendly (and non-casserole) items to stockpile getting ready for Alice’s birth . . .

by Jenna on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

6. Amber – I didn’t even see the ham in the original recipe – ha! That sounds good too, though. :-)

Jenna – Amber says in her post that the pie freezes well after baking, so I’d definitely make one of these up and stick in the freezer for later!

by Tracy on Aug 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm

7. Tracy, I’m a dummy. I always remember that pie with ham or bacon in it, because when we were making it at KAF, they said they original recipe called for that. Since we had vegetarians in the group, and they knew we’d be transporting the pie, they left it out. I had to go back and read my post to realize I didn’t put it in there when I posted it! Oy vey.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm

8. This looks amazing! Almost too pretty to eat. But I think I will make it AND eat it.

by Allison on Aug 21, 2012 at 3:06 pm

9. I’ve been meaning to make tomato pie for a while now. It’s so pretty!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Aug 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

10. What can we use if we don’t have garlic scapes?

by Cheryl on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:32 am

11. Honestly I’m drooling…whoa!!!

by Cathy @ Noble Pig on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:46 am

12. Your pie looks amazing. The only other one I have ever seen was on Paula Deens recipes. Yours looks even better with the different colored tomatoes. If I recall correctly, Paula had some mayo in hers as well as cheeses. Can’t wait to try yours.

by Sharon on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:49 am

13. This looks so yummy! I could totally get behind this kinda pie!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:16 am

14. This looks really good! I’ve tried a tomato pie before and it was awful, but this one looks like something I would like!

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:43 am

15. This is gorgeous! A friend of ours dropped off a tomato pie after we got home from Yellowdog’s surgery, and it was so tasty. I’ve been wanting to make my own ever since. I think this recipe may just be the place to start!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm

16. Amazing!!! I cannot wait to try this!!!

by Marci Johnson on Aug 23, 2012 at 9:01 pm

17. Those tomatoes look beautiful!! I don’t know if I’ll be able to find fresh tomatoes like that down here — Florida seems to be a month or two ahead on produce, compared to NY. Definitely will try to find some, though! I could use a fun new recipe to try for weekend breakfast!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Aug 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm

18. That looks fantastic! I cannot wait to try it out.

by carolinaheartstrings on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:15 pm

19. This recipe sounds really good! I make our meal plans around what we have growing in our garden and I’m really looking forward to adding tomatoes from our garden into dishes like this one for our monthly meal plan.

by Noel Chapman on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm