Corn and Summer Squash Cakes

Anyone else wondering how it got to be the middle of August already? I mentioned last week that I’m starting to think about fall, and while I was worried that would start a riot, I can see that I’m certainly not the only one – my Pinterest is currently overloaded with fall recipes. I even saw fall baking magazines out on the stands at the grocery store already (and yes, I bought one. The shame). However, there are still a few weeks of summer left, and I’m not quite ready to give them up. I made these simple cakes with fresh sweet corn that I got from one of our local farms, and since I also have a ton of squash, I decided to throw some of that in, too. You can pretty much toss in any summer vegetables you have on hand – diced peppers, garlic scapes if you still have them, eggplant, radishes, cucumber…whatever you like best. Enjoy!

In a medium bowl, stir together the squash, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, basil, and salt.

Stir in the corn.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and butter.

Stir the wet ingredients into the corn mixture just until combined.

In a skillet over medium heat, add just enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Drop the batter into the skillet one spoonful at a time (I fit about 4 cakes comfortably in the pan). Fry 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown.

Remove the cakes to a paper towel to soak up excess oil.

Serve warm.

Posted by on August 14, 2012.

Categories: appetizers, dinner, lunch

1. Time is zooming by! It’s a little bit scary. By the way I’m totally making these.

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Aug 14, 2012 at 10:58 am

2. My husband makes something that looks similar with just the squash and bisquick but yours look better. I’ll have to try these.

by Annamaria @ bakewell junction on Aug 14, 2012 at 11:20 am

3. Mmm, these look great–and I’m getting corn in my CSA this week! Thanks for giving me a way to use it. 🙂

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Aug 14, 2012 at 11:24 am

4. Oh Fall, how I love you so! I just wish you weren’t followed by winter…these corn cakes look lovely!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Aug 14, 2012 at 11:27 am

5. I love these! Like I am IN LOVE with them!! YUM!

by Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen on Aug 14, 2012 at 11:59 am

6. I love corn! Can’t ever use it enough when it’s in season and these sound delicious though I”ve never made anything like this before. Do they stay together fairly easily when you cook them?

by Kadee on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:21 pm

7. No worries there. I’m totally thinking about fall already! And these little squash cakes are perfect for the upcoming season 🙂

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

8. These look like the perfect way to enjoy summer’s bounty. I might tuck a bit of shrimp and cilantro in them also, if that’s alright. Sounds like dinner!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Aug 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm

9. This seems like a great way to hold on to summer 🙂 They look great!

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on Aug 15, 2012 at 6:36 am

10. Why yes, I DO have garlic scapes still hanging around the fridge! How did you know??

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Aug 15, 2012 at 8:03 am

11. One of my favorite ways to use fresh corn!

by Cathy @ Noble Pig on Aug 15, 2012 at 10:20 am

12. These look delicious, going to try them tonight! 🙂

by Sheryl @ Flowery Prose on Aug 15, 2012 at 10:27 am

13. These remind me of a tempura crab and sweet corn appetizer that Shaina and I had at her favorite Japanese restaurant when I was in MSP a few weeks ago. I could have eaten 10 of them! I reckon Aimee’s got the right idea – let’s tuck some crab or shrimp in too. NOM! (But of course, I’ll eat them all on their own too. Will you come over and make them for me?)

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

14. Very delicious and looks so easy to prepare.

by Michelle on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:05 am

15. Oh my goodness… This is a *perfect* recipe for me today. I have tons of corn and zucchini (like 20 pounds of zucchini… don’t ask) to use, and I was trying to come up with something that used both. This is it. Delish! I will probably try it tomorrow. 🙂

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm

16. I made these for dinner last night and they were a hit, Thank You for the recipe.

by Dawn on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:28 am

17. These look so tasty! What a great way to use late summer veggies.

Speaking of fall, I’ve even heard candy corn is already out in stores! Crazy.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Aug 18, 2012 at 11:38 am

18. Just got the chance to make these only I used zucchini instead of summer squash. Another recipe to use up the excess of zukes I have every year.

I made these and dusted them with corn meal then froze them on sheet pans. Then I’ll vaccum package them in 2’s for later in the year. To avoid the frying in oil I’ll toss them in the oven for a bit. Works like a charm with croquettes.

Thanks for the delish dish!

by dave on Sep 10, 2012 at 11:25 pm