Tart & Sweet Cherry Pie

Can you believe that this is my first summer ever sampling sour cherries? For some reason I just didn’t think they were grown locally, so I never bothered trying to find any. But when I started receiving requests for tart cherry jam via my business, I knew I had to do a little more digging…and it turns out there are plenty of places around here that grow their own sour cherries – or at least normally do. This year has been an especially bad year for them because of the freezing/warm weather we had back in April that destroyed a lot of the crop. Fortunately though, I was still able to get my hands on some to make jam…and, I bought  a few extra quarts so that I could make my very first sour cherry pie. I threw in some sweet cherries as well, and I think the resulting pie is a wonderful balance of tart and sweet, almost like a strawberry-rhubarb pie. I hope you give it a try, and have a great week!

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the pie crusts to 1/8″ thick. Place in a pie dish and crimp the edges, if desired.

In a large bowl, toss the cherries with the flour and sugar.

Spoon the filling into the pastry-lined pie dish. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the second pie crust to 1/8″ thick. Cut strips about 1/2″ to 3/4″ thick.

Arrange the strips over the top of the pie, weaving in and out to achieve the traditional lattice look.

Cut the excess lattice strips from around the edges, and sprinkle with additional sugar, if desired. (Note: Next time I plan to crimp the edges of the bottom crust after I put the lattice topping on, so that the top is secured to the bottom and strips aren’t poking out.)

Cover the pie edge with aluminum foil or a pie shield. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and the juice begins to bubble. Remove the foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.

Cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before serving.

Posted by on July 24, 2012.

1. The lattice top on this pie is beautiful!!! And I am sure it tastes wonderful. Such a perfect summertime pie!!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Jul 24, 2012 at 10:33 am

2. The pie looks so pretty. Could I use sweet cherries only? I love bing cherries.

by Annamaria @ bakewell junction on Jul 24, 2012 at 10:36 am

3. That is the prettiest darn pie EVER! Beautiful lattice–I wish I could take a gigantic bite right now.

by Jenna on Jul 24, 2012 at 10:59 am

4. The pie looks delicious! I love the cherries.

by Sarah on Jul 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm

5. Oooh, I’m so glad you’ve been introduced to the amazing flavor of sour cherries! I love to gobble ’em up like Pac Man.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm

6. This pie looks so delicious! I can’t wait to get some cherries!

by Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on Jul 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm

7. This looks terrific. Love the picture.

by carolinaheartstrings on Jul 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

8. What an interesting idea to combine the two types of cherries! Lovely pie.

by Jennifer on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

9. Beautiful crust and lattice work! I just received a bucket of fresh cherries so this would be a great idea!!

by Cathy @ Noble Pig on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

10. Beautiful! My mother used to make the most incredible cherry pie ever…I’m sure this one is similar. Love your pie dish too!

Thanks so much for sharing ~

Pat

by Pat on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

11. I’m so impressed…..pie looks beautiful & delecious. The lattice top is not easy to make. It seems that cherry pies are the lattice queens of baking….great job!

by Mom R on Jul 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

12. Perfect pie! 🙂

– Annika

by Annika (douxflavor.tumblr.com) on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm

13. Delicious! Love the lattice top!

by Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on Jul 26, 2012 at 5:13 pm

14. Oh, that pie is making me hungry! And I love the pie dish – where did you find it?

by Expedition Eat (Dina Krohne) on Jul 27, 2012 at 12:52 am

15. I have never made an cherry pie before, although I love to eat cherry pie. Your pie looks wonderful. I am sure that it tasted delicious with the sweet and sour cherries.

by Words Of Deliciousness on Jul 28, 2012 at 8:20 pm

16. I LOVE your lattice work! I’ve done the traditional weaving thing, but I’ve never had wavy edges! I think it makes it look so stinking cute. Also, we need to get together again! Email me 🙂

by Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:20 am

17. Give me cherries and I am happy, give me cherries in a buttery flaky crust and I super happy!! Love the pie!

by Catalina @ Cake with Love on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm

18. What a beautiful looking pie! Cherry pie is one of my absolute favorites! 🙂

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Jul 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm

19. I’ve just realized that I haven’t had cherry pie all summer! MUST FIX.

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:33 pm

20. Gorgeous lattice top! And I love the combination of both sour and sweet cherries.

by Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm

21. Such a beautiful pie, Tracy. I’m so glad you found sour cherries locally!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Aug 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

22. A gorgeous pie – I bet it tastes as delicious as it looks! One day I will conquer my pie fears and make this for my dad – he flips over homemade cherry pie. And his birthday is just around the corner, so maybe I should conquer my fear (or at least try to) sooner rather than later?

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

23. Really nice decoration! It look tasty to ! Worth trying!

by Vera Zecevic - Cupcakes Garden on Aug 4, 2012 at 7:50 am

24. This is positively gorgeous! That lattice is perfect!

by Amanda on Aug 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm

25. This pie looks absolutely divine… I adore cherry pie. Unfortunately, I missed cherry season around here this year. Love the lattice top on your pie, along with the pie dish… Beautiful!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:50 pm