Nutella Yogurt Cake

Even though it’s the middle of summer and everyone is talking about how they don’t want to turn on their ovens, I can’t seem to keep mine off, despite my best efforts…I guess that’s just how it goes when you love to bake. Right now I have a 450 degree oven full of bread, which I’ll be bringing along to the farmers market this evening to sell alongside my jams and jellies. The bakery that attended the market the first week back in June hasn’t been able to come again due to lack of staff, so another vendor and I are trying to help fill the void with some breads of our own. I’m excited but also nervous, although I guess I could say that about every step I’ve taken in starting my new business!

Meanwhile, I realized that I haven’t yet shared this delightful nutella cake with you, so I am remedying that today. It’s better to bake this cake in a springform pan rather than a regular cake pan because of how much rise it has, but the resulting tall, fluffy cake makes a perfect brunch or snack cake that is lovely on its own or dusted with powdered sugar, or my favorite way, spread with a bit of warm nutella. Enjoy!

• 1 cup Greek yogurt (I used Chobani vanilla)
  • 1/2 cup nutella
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp dark cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9″ springform pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, nutella, eggs, olive oil, honey, and vanilla.

In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool before removing from the pan.

Top with additional nutella, if desired.

37 Responses to “Nutella Yogurt Cake”

1. 1 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I never understand the “not baking in summer.” I mean, I have my A/C cranked at all times. I think it’s cooler in here now than it is in winter. ;) Ha!

I love reading about your business ventures…and seeing your pics on instagram.

PS….cake, Nutella, yogurt?!? I’m in!!!

2. 2 Heather@French Press Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Wow! Now that is a cake I’d eat.

3. 3 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I ALWAYS bake in the summer, no matter how darn hot it is! This cake looks A-mazing. Wow. Beautiful pics!

I love that you’re selling your goodies! I hope it’s going well :)

4. 4 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I completely agree with you, Tracy. A little heat certainly isn’t going to stop me from baking. I am in love with the look of this cake, especially with a slathering of extra nutella. Yum!

p.s. That is SO exciting about the market – I would totally buy your homemade bread.

5. 5 Allison Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Oh wow! I have been avoiding the oven because of the heat (with the exception of making homemade bread each week, because I really can’t stand any other kind) but this recipe is tempting me to turn the oven on for dessert tonight – yum! Thank you for sharing this.

6. 6 stephchows Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 2:39 pm

OMG I bet your breads will go over amazingly tonight! Good luck!!! And this cake looks over the top delicious! :)

7. 7 Trish Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I never understood not turning the oven on in the summer, UNTIL our a/c broke. Now it’s torture to have that that thing on. But believe me as soon as we get it fixed or the weather cools down, I’ll be making this. It sounds delish!

8. 8 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Mmmm, this cake looks a-maz-ing. And I could even mix it by hand!

(In the defense of those of us afraid to turn on our ovens, window AC units are not always so effective in tiny apartments!! Haha. But I might make an exception for this. ;) )

9. 9 Erin Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Definitely worth turning on your oven! I have been scaling down how much I turn it on, but haven’t been able to completely avoid it (I did just make meatballs that cook for 2.5 hours)

10. 10 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I continue to bake all through the summer too. I can’t help it, I love to bake! This cake looks delicious!

11. 11 Becca - Cookie Jar Treats Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I can’t seem to keep my oven off either, but it’s been so hot, I don’t even really notice a difference in the temperature of the kitchen much unless the stove is going alone with the oven and the door is open.

Delicious looking cake!

12. 12 Angela @ The Dancer Bakes Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Oh, summer baking has happened and will continue to happen – how else can I have biscuits and a birthday cake?? And considering how much my husband LOVES simple everyday cakes and especially Nutella, this cake is going on the must-bake list for the season! YUM.

13. 13 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I can never say no to Nutella cake no matter what the time of year and yes please on the extra Nutella on top!

14. 14 bianca @ sweet dreaming Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Looks so yummy! :) I love anything Nutella!

15. 15 Katrina Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Mmm I love how simple this is. So pretty too :)

16. 16 Baking Serendipity Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I always end up baking in the summer, even when I say I won’t. It’s because I run into recipes like this one and can’t resist! I love this cake!

17. 17 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

If I had AC, I would totally be using my oven so much more. Actually, I bet when I move to FL I’ll bake more in the summer bc I will finally have AC, ha!

The cake looks amazing, but I’d expect nothing less from the Nutella Queen herself. ;)

Good luck with the bread-selling! I would think it’d perfectly complement your jams and jellies. Now you just need to start selling nut butters and you’ll have kids’ lunches packed up and ready to go by September!

18. 18 Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 9:30 pm

This looks delicious! I still bake in the summer, although it’s certainly rough sometimes with a small kitchen. This cake looks worth it!

19. 19 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 8:35 am

As someone who spent nearly every day of the recent heat wave in her kitchen with the oven on and no A/C, I am right there with you on summer baking! Congrats on the latest business “expansion” – sometimes the best things in life aren’t what you planned for!

20. 20 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 9:40 am

This cake is incredible! I love that you use yogurt!

21. 21 Cathy @ Noble Pig Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 9:49 am

Oh wow, I love seeing that warm Nutella dripping down the sides…holy cow! I hope it went well with your bread sales…I’m sure it did.

22. 22 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 10:52 am

My oven has been on the entire summer too!
    Love this cake :)

23. 23 Tracy {Pale Yellow} Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 11:23 am

I didn’t have A/C for a long time so there was zero baking in the summer, but now that I have A/C, whatever! I bake all the time! I love simple yogurt cakes and this one looks delicious!

24. 24 Annamaria @ bakewell junction Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 11:32 am

I too bake in the summer but only because I have A/C otherwise I don’t think I could handle it. This recipe looks like a keeper.

25. 25 Jen @ Savory Simple Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

When you gotta bake, you gotta bake! I’m right there with you this week. This cake sounds amazing.

26. 26 Crystal Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’m wondering what would happen if I used regular yogurt as opposed to greek yogurt. I make my own yogurt so I always have it on hand. I know I can strain it but that just seems like extra work just to have thicker yogurt. Should I dcrease the amount of yougurt? Or increase the amount of flour? Any thoughts?

27. 27 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    July 11th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Oh heaven help me. This cake is the perfect treat. Looks fantastic!

28. 28 Hailey @ nakedcupcakes Says:
    July 12th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

It may be +30C outside, but I know what I am whipping up tonight! This looks AMAZING! oh how I love nutella :)
    and I am so happy to hear that your business is going so well! so fun and exciting :)

29. 29 Aimee @ ShugarySweets Says:
    July 13th, 2012 at 6:57 am

I love this! Well, I’m pretty sure I will love this! Gorgeous.

30. 30 Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch Says:
    July 13th, 2012 at 10:23 am

Tracy, you’re killing me with all these amazing nutella recipes! I’m almost willing to break out in hives just so I can try some of them!

31. 31 Katelyn Says:
    July 13th, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Hello, fellow Rochester blogger! How have I not seen your blog before?! I love baking with Chobani, especially using it in place of oil. This looks so delicious! How can you go wrong with nutella?

32. 32 Maja Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 5:47 am

Yogurt+Nutella = two of my favorite treats! It looks so yummy, I’m so making this tomorrow night.

33. 33 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:24 am

I will have to make this cake for the boys they will love it and I know I will too!

34. 34 Erika - The Teenage Taste Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 10:47 am

I’m the same way…I’d go crazy if I didn’t bake in the Summertime!
    This Nutella cake looks amazing! I love the way the Nutella is dripping down the sides in the last picture.

35. 35 Sus Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 10:02 am

This was delicious! I made it with regular yogurt (vanilla) and it came out fine! I like that it’s not too sweet and so nutella-y with nutella on top :)

36. 36 Avanika {Yumsilicious Bakes} Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:23 am

The weather in Bombay is such, if I decided to not cook in the summer, I’d only cook for a month, in December! This cake looks delicious. Congratulations on the new business.

37. 37 Vera Zecevic Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 1:00 pm

My favorite ingredients! Nutella and yogurt! I can’t resist! Thanks for recipe!