Maple Scones with Maple Glaze

I think scones are one of my favorite breakfast foods to make, as evidenced by the many scone recipes already on my blog. This week they’ve been particularly good since my sister is staying with me; they made for an easy breakfast that I baked up a few mornings ago, and since then we’ve been enjoying them throughout the week for breakfast or whenever we’re hungry. I decided to change up my favorite King Arthur Flour recipe yet again, this time with the addition of maple, and I used the same glaze that I used for myΒ pumpkin spice scones, only with a scant teaspoon of milk so that the glaze would be nice and thick. If you’re planning to make brunch on your day off tomorrow but don’t want a lot of fuss, these scones are perfect. Hope you have a happy and safe 4th of July!

For the glaze:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.

Cut the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces and incorporate it into the dry ingredients. Stir in the eggs and maple syrup.

Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead to combine.

If you’re not using a scone pan, separate the dough into halves. Shape each half of dough into a circle, and then cut each half into four wedges. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet as shown here. If you are using a scone pan, spray it lightly with cooking spray. Divide the dough into equal pieces and press them into the pan.

Place the scones in the freezer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. When the scones are ready to be baked, put them right in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

To make the glaze, mix all of the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until well-combined and thick.

Remove the scones to a wire rack to cool before drizzling with the glaze.

Posted by on July 3, 2012.

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. These look lovely! Scones are the best – so delicious and comforting. And maple is ALWAYS a wonderful flavor choice!!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

2. I could go for one with my morning coffee right now! They sound delicious!

by Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

3. I love scones–I totally need one of those scone pans! These look amazing, Tracy!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:45 am

4. I don’t usually make scones but my mouth waters just looking at these. I’ll have to try this recipe.

by Annamaria @ bakewell junction on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:55 am

5. These look so good, I cannot even begin to tell you….

by Lauren on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

6. Mmmm I love maple! These look perfect!

by Natasha on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

7. i love that scone pan! really, i just love scones. this is going on the to-make list!

by brandi on Jul 3, 2012 at 11:04 am

8. These would’ve been a perfect breakfast for Canada Day a couple days ago. Loving the scone pan, by the way!

by Madeleine on Jul 3, 2012 at 11:12 am

9. I’d happily eat these! Love maple. πŸ™‚

by Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on Jul 3, 2012 at 11:21 am

10. Scones are one of my faves and your maple on maple version may just force me to crank up my oven in this crazy heat!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jul 3, 2012 at 11:28 am

11. I really need one of those cute scone pans! I love it every time I see it! And maple? quite possibly one of my top 10 flavors (right now)! These look good girl.

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Jul 3, 2012 at 11:39 am

12. These look and sound fabulous. I love that glaze!

by Katrina on Jul 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm

13. I *just* got some maple flav-r-bits from King Arthur. I am SO throwing them in this recipe. Hello Maple-plosion!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jul 3, 2012 at 6:24 pm

14. The maple glaze looks heavenly.

by Shaina on Jul 3, 2012 at 9:54 pm

15. I’m going to save this recipe for fall. A cup of hot chai and one of these during my quiet time….mmmmmm. Fall come quickly!

by CJ on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:46 pm

16. That scone pan gets me every time- SO cute! Of course, we’re all about the maple. Mmmm.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:49 pm

17. These look like something I can could undoubtedly eat the whole pan of….I love maple anything! Wow. Love that scones pan too…do they come out of their easily?

by Cathy @ Noble Pig on Jul 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

18. Wow… I have that pan which I have always used for corn bread… Never thought to make scones in it! Thanks for opening a whole new avenue for me! Off to make these scones!

by Wendy on Jul 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

19. Ohhh I do love anything to do with Maple! These look so delicious, and perfect to grab on the way out the door to work! thanks πŸ˜€

by Hailey @ nakedcupcakes on Jul 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm

20. Looks fantastic. I know my family will love this recipe. Great picture. Come and visit. We have some wonderful recipes this week.

by carolinaheartstrings on Jul 4, 2012 at 9:47 pm

21. Mmm, perfect! I love maple-y treats. πŸ™‚

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:36 am

22. I feel sure that I could eat the entire batch in one sitting. πŸ˜‰

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

23. Nommy is all I can say, I do love scones too

by jennifurla on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm

24. These scones look fabulous! Can’t wait to give them a try… Of course, I still need to get my hands on one of those handy scone pans that you have!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jul 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm

25. Maple syrup is one of my favorite ingredients, the flavor just can’t be beat. I think I’m in love!

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Jul 7, 2012 at 8:08 am

26. Oh my gosh, that glaze looks incredible!! I try not to eat pastries and such for breakfast everyday, but these would be great on a weekend morning or something. I do love a good scone, and the thought of a maple one sounds amazing!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jul 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm

27. I am also a huge fan of homemade scones! Love the maple version – that glaze is making my mouth-water!

by Erika - The Teenage Taste on Jul 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

28. Seeing as I’m currently writing this from a small town in Vermont, I’m proud to see a maple-on-maple dish. Nice!

by Michael @ BlueberryChuckle on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm

29. I don’t think I’ve ever had a scone before, is that bad? And I definitely don’t have a scone pan…is there another way to make them? They look so cute!

by Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:25 am

30. I totally agree….scones are one of my favorite breakfasts! These maple ones look incredible! πŸ™‚

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Jul 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

31. Love maple.. dare I say sometimes more than chocolate (maple topped donuts have always been my fave. Can’t wait to try these!

by Alyson @ Bend & Bake on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm

32. I am so glad to see that you use the Lodge cast iron skillet for making your scones! That makes me want to get one to make scone making an easier job! (not that they are hard, but the skillet will keep them from falling to pieces!!) Thank you!

by Simple Dinners by Vicky D on Aug 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm

33. I don’t have a pan like that…. What would be best to use since I don’t have one??

by Emily on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm

34. Emily – You don’t have to have a scone pan. I already have directions in the recipe for making them without one. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on Oct 30, 2012 at 11:25 pm