Fourth of July Funfetti Cupcakes with Triple Swirl Frosting

I know we still have a week to go before the 4th of July, but these cupcakes are so much fun that I wanted to make sure you had plenty of time to practice making them! Aside from a bit of preparation, the triple swirl frosting is actually fairly easy to do; Katie of GoodLife Eats has posted detailed instructions for the piping technique on her blog post here. And while the patriotic frosting on top and explosion of sprinkles on the inside of these homemade funfetti cupcakes makes them the perfect 4th of July dessert, I’m also looking forward to trying this frosting technique for orange, white, and black Halloween cupcakes and red, white, and green Christmas cupcakes…the possibilities are endless! If you give these a try, let me know about it in an e-mail or a comment, or post pictures of your finished product on my Facebook page – I’d love to see them! Have fun!

Makes 12 cupcakes.

For the cupcakes:

For the vanilla buttercream frosting:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar about 3 minutes or until fluffy.

Add in the egg whites and vanilla, and beat 1-2 minutes longer.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.

Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beating until combined. Add the milk, and then add in the remaining dry ingredients. Fold in the sprinkles.

Spoon the batter into the tins, 2/3 full.

Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.

To make the frosting, beat the butter until pale. Beat in the vanilla extract, then gradually beat in the powdered sugar, half at a time. Separate the frosting into three separate bowl, and add in the food colorings. Beat until well-combined.

Cut about a half inch off the end of each of the three frosting bags, and spoon each color frosting into a separate bag.

Load all three frosting bags inside a fourth bag fit with your favorite piping tip. Practice on a paper towel before piping on a cupcake to work out all the kinks.

Enjoy!

Posted by on June 26, 2012.

Tags:

1. Love all the sprinkles and the 3 color frosting, so perfect for this Holiday!

by Catalina @ Cake with Love on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:18 am

2. These are so fun!! LOVE!

by Lauren on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

3. The frosting on these cupcakes is so pretty! Such a fun idea to combine the 3 colors. Love the way it turned out 🙂 And honestly; who doesn’t love funfetti cupcakes??

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:44 am

4. These are too cute! I just adore that piping technique from Katie.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:05 am

5. I love them! So festive!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:05 am

6. This is such an interesting and fun idea. Thank you for detailed instructions. I’m sure going to try it.

by Kimmy on Jun 26, 2012 at 12:21 pm

7. This is such a great idea! I’ve only ever piped with swirl color by dyeing the inside f the bag and just making stripes. This looks a lot neater too 🙂

by Becca - Cookie Jar Treats on Jun 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

8. SO fun and perfect for the 4th!

by Maria on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

9. These are so fun!! Perfect for our 4th of July picnic this year – thanks!

by Allison on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm

10. Freakin’ gorgeous cupcakes, girl! Love funfetti in general, but going at it from scratch is pretty awesome of you. Will you bring these over and we’ll have a barbecue?

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:34 pm

11. These turned out just gorgeous–and I LOVE the homemade funfetti cake! My son’s 5th b-day is in less than two weeks, so I might just have to use this recipe. Thank you!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm

12. These make me happy! 🙂 I love sprinkles, cupcakes and lots of frosting.

by Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:48 pm

13. Incredible! You’re so right, the multi-color combo would be awesome for Halloween and Christmas too.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jun 26, 2012 at 6:25 pm

14. These are great! They look so yummy and patriotic. Thanks for the piping technique idea. I agree, many fun possibilities:)

by Raina on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

15. Such sweet cupcakes! That frosting is amazing!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:47 am

16. Perfect for the 4th. And a great idea to use other colors for other holidays. Fun tip!

by Margi on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:46 am

17. Wow, Tracy, what a very clever way to get the multi color frosting on the cupcakes. This way you have equal ratios of color and it is so much neater than the old fashioned way of filling one bag with 3 colors. Great Job!

by Mom R. on Jun 27, 2012 at 11:25 am

18. I love the way the icing looks!

by Elizabeth on Jun 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm

19. Those look so cute! Definitely more portable than what I made, so perhaps I’ll make your cupcakes on the actual 4th of July (which happens to be my birthday!!!)

by Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:57 pm

20. These are so cute! I bet you could swirl different flavors of frosting together too – like a chocolate/vanilla swirl.

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Jun 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm

21. I really must try this technique! It looks so cool.

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Jun 29, 2012 at 7:37 am

22. I love the way you did the icing – very festive and perfect for the fourth of July. Very nice!

by Chuck on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm

23. love these! Have a great holiday week!

by Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. on Jul 1, 2012 at 4:52 pm

24. Awesome decorating idea! I used it today in decorating my son’s birthday cupcakes and they look amazing! Thanks for sharing.

by Laura B. on Jul 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm

25. I’ve been looking for a good cupcake recipe, and this looks like it. Love the addition of sprinkles. Too bad I didn’t find it in time for the Fourth, but I’ll just have to celebrate again 😉

by Laura Dembowski on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm