Nutella S’mores Bars

How was your week? Mine was fun, but also exhausting. In case you haven’t been following along on Instagram, at the beginning of last week I discovered a mama cat and her four kittens living underneath our deck! I called up a no-kill shelter and got some advice, because I really didn’t want to call Animal Control and have them come take the kitties only to kill them later since all of the local shelters are full. To make a long story short, we’re getting the mama cat spayed and placed in a barn home where she can continue being an outdoor cat…and, we’re now fostering the four kittens ourselves and looking for homes for them. They’re all very sweet, and I think they will make wonderful pets…so if you know anyone who is looking for a kitty or two, let me know!

Even with all of that going on, I still found time to get in the kitchen and bake. One of my favorite things to make in the summer when we go camping or get our backyard fire pit going are nutella s’mores, which are simply regular s’mores with the chocolate bars replaced with a generous spread of nutella. I decided to take that idea to the next level with these gooey s’mores bars, complete with nutella, chocolate, and toasty marshmallow sandwiched in between soft, graham cookie goodness. These are currently my new favorite dessert, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8″ baking dish with foil. Make sure to leave about an inch of foil hanging over each edge so that it’s easy to pull them out of the pan later. Spray the foil with cooking spray. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour, graham crackers, baking powder, and salt. Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.

Press half of the dough into the prepared dish.

Spoon the marshmallow creme over the dough.

Spoon the nutella over the marshmallow. I warm mine up in the microwave for about 30 seconds first so that it’s easier to spread.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the nutella.

Scatter the rest of the cookie dough over the top in large chunks – this allows some of the marshmallow to pop out on top and get all toasty and delicious.

Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Let cool completely, and then carefully lift from the pan by the foil. Cut into bars.

Posted by on June 5, 2012.

Tags: , ,

1. Yum! These look fantastic. Pinning for future use. :)

by Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:44 am

2. This looks like heaven! love your blog :)

by Bianca @ Sweet Dreaming on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:47 am

3. Those sweet kittens. I remember when I was younger I tried convincing my mom to let me bring a free kitten from a garage sale home. My dad is allergic, though, as is my sister, so there would be no kitten in our house.

The bars? Holy Nutella heaven. I need them.

by Shaina on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:48 am

4. Wow, these look amazing! Love the addition of nutella to s’mores bars…what a great idea!

by sara on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:48 am

5. Amazing looking bars! These pictures make me want to dig right in.

And too cute about the kittens! How kind of you to take care of them!! I hope you can find great homes for them :)

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:48 am

6. I love how much you love Nutella! This recipe is zooming to the top of my summer list. :)

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

7. Ooh, these bars look good. Nutella is the way to go for s’mores, I am convinced!

And, those kitties are super cute… Hopefully Riley is being a good foster-dog and helping you take care of them. :)

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:01 pm

8. Absolutely pinning these to make, as quickly as I can! These look *amazing*!!

by kendahl on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm

9. I’ve been experimenting with s’mores bars lately (like these http://yellebellyboo.blogspot.com/2011/08/smores-brownies.html and these http://yellebellyboo.blogspot.com/2012/05/smores-cookies.html) and I haveeee to try yours. They look phenomenal!!

by d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm

10. These look amazing Tracy! There’s just nothing better than s’mores in the summer. And kudos for taking in the kittens, hope you find good homes for them :)

by Tracey on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm

11. How fantastic these look! Can’t wait to make them for a summer party. :)

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm

12. Drool!

by Blog is the New Black on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

13. I don’t usually like smores but these look so good that I have to try them.

by Annamaria @ bakewell junction on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

14. Love this! Yum!

by Katrina on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm

15. Adorable kitty faces AND nutella smores….you’re killing me Tracy ; )

by Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

16. You are so sweet taking them in and getting the mamma set up in a new place!! You rock!!! I’ll ask around, John’s allergic so it’s a no for me :( SO CUTE!!

by stephchows on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm

17. Those kittens are the cutest things ever! I just want to take one home with me now :3

And the s’mores bars look terrific too! I just got my wisdom teeth out, so I’m not sure how eating them would go, but I’m willing to give it a try. They look worth it ;)

by Becca - Cookie Jar Treats on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm

18. I hope you find good homes for the kitties. I found mine when I was throwing out the trash to the dumpster and she’s been with me ever since!

by Stephanie on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

19. Life doesn’t get much better than this!

by Tracy {Pale Yellow} on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm

20. These look wonderful-I can’t wait to try them!

I have a very basic question: I have always used butter on my pans or foil used in baking bars because I can’t stand the smell of the cooking sprays. Is there a type of cooking spray you would recommend that leaves no odor while spraying? Thanks!

by Alisa on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:52 pm

21. Hello!

I like this idea for bars! I have one problem. I cannot find marshmallow cream where I live. Is there any way I can make it myself?

by Louise on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:44 am

22. This post should be illegal. For real.

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jun 6, 2012 at 10:01 am

23. MMm, that’s an amazing looking treat!
    And I’m glad you are looking for good homes for the kitties. Maybe you could post a pic or two of their sweet little furry selves . . . =)

by Jenna on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm

24. I am supposed to be losing weight for my sisters wedding… this is not helping, of course I have to make and taste test all these goodies.

by Diana on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

25. Can a get a batch to go purty please? The guys will take you surfing and write you poems for them ;D YUMO!

by Tickled Red on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

26. My goodness, these look decadent!!!

by Jen @ Savory Simple on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm

27. O.M.G. I have no words!

by Mireia on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm

28. Holy Nutella!!! Those look INSANELY delicious! i am drooling all over my keyboard right now!! haha…but seriously, they combine 2 of my favorite things — smores and nutella! perfect for summer! and gorgeous photography! thanks for sharing!

by Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy on Jun 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

29. Oh my goodness, I’m totally drooling here! These look spectacular, Tracy!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

30. I’m not much of cat person, but kittens are a completely different story. So awesome of you to foster them – I hope you find fantastic homes for them! Oh and these S’mores bars look insanely delicious!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:33 pm

31. You are such a crazy genius, Tracy. This is all the best things about a campfire s’mores without having to build the campfire. Perfect for my kind of camping – in a cabin with an oven!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jun 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

32. Ahh, my sister would love these! She’s obsessed with both Nutella and s’mores. I will have to make them for her!

Good for you for fostering the kittens! Although I’m sure it means you have your hands full :) .

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jun 7, 2012 at 9:15 pm

33. I made these last night. They are delicious!

by Colleen on Jun 8, 2012 at 11:11 am

34. This looks rich and decadent!

by Angie@Angie's Recipes on Jun 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

35. Oh, Tracy! If I could have one of these bars AND a kitten, it just might be my idea of heaven. :)

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:26 am

36. I REALLY need to get an allergy test to see if I’m allergic to hazelnuts like I am walnuts. And if the test comes back negative, I am buying ALL the nutella I can find, and I’m going to make every single recipe you have on this site. You’re so creative with it!

by Sarah @ a Dash and a Pinch on Jun 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

37. The whole pan was devoured in 12 hours. You’re a freaking nutella genius!

by Indigo Scones on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm

38. these look awesoe. They would not last longer than a couple days in my house! Have to limit myself w/temptations as I obviously have no self control!

by Miss CandiQuik on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

39. ahh – sorry, I can spell, *awesome*

by Miss CandiQuik on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:37 am

40. I have been on a s’more kick lately…but nutella s’mores?!?! Love it! :)

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:55 pm

41. Holy cow! I made these this afternoon to have after our Father’s Day BBQ. The graham cracker base is chewy & soft, but holds the gooey marshmallow & chocolate together well. Seriously addictive. This is definitely a new family favorite. Thank you!

by Susan on Jun 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm

42. What is the regular marshmallow measurement (I have a ton of malllows, not creme). Thanks!

by Nicole on Jul 3, 2012 at 10:36 pm

43. Nicole – I didn’t make these with regular marshmallows, so I’m not sure how many you would need. I’d probably just take a few handfuls of mini marshmallows and sprinkle them over the nutella with the chocolate chips.

by Tracy on Jul 8, 2012 at 11:39 pm

44. These looked so amazing I had to try them…and LOVED them! Thanks for the recipe.

by Tiffany~One Bite of Anything on Jul 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

45. How many servings does the recipe make?

by Cheese on Nov 14, 2012 at 12:53 pm