Creamy Rhubarb Custard Pie

I hope you all had a lovely Memorial Day weekend! Ours was pretty relaxing and the weather was beautiful, perfect for working at the farmer’s market, spending time with each other and with friends, and of course, grilling out. We even got some much-needed yard work done, although I didn’t enjoy that as much…I am pretty clueless about plants and have a bit of a black thumb, which is why I don’t really enjoy working in the yard (and allergies don’t really help either). If I could grow anything though, it would be a small vegetable garden complete with tomatoes, strawberries, zucchini, peppers, and rhubarb…I mean, how great would it be to walk out to the backyard and grab a few stalks of rhubarb to make this pie? In the meantime though, this pie is just as creamy and delicious with rhubarb from the farmer’s market. I hope you enjoy it!

For the crumble top:

Roll out the pie crust to 1/8″ thick. Place the crust in a pie dish and crimp the edges, if desired. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.ย To make the filling, in a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and flour.

In a smaller bowl, beat together the eggs and yogurt.ย Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the rhubarb.

To make the crumble topping, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom. Cut the butter into the mixture using a pastry blender. Stir in the oats.

Spoon the filling into the crust.

Sprinkle the topping over the filling.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 35-40 minutes longer or until the topping is golden brown.

Let cool completely, then transfer to the refrigerator. Let chill 2 hours before serving.

Posted by on May 29, 2012.

1. I have to try this pie! Our rhubarb plants are still going crazy!

by Maria on May 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

2. I really love cooking/baking with Greek yogurt. It’s so creamy. I was introduced to rhubarb only a few years ago, but I really enjoy it now, and this looks like a great recipe!

by Jennifer on May 29, 2012 at 9:25 am

3. Mmmm, this looks heavenly! I’m a huge fan of rhubarb and would love a slice of this pie. ๐Ÿ˜€

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on May 29, 2012 at 9:36 am

4. This looks amazing! I have to try this recipe…tonight!

by Becky on May 29, 2012 at 10:31 am

5. This looks fantastic! Going to try it out this week!

by Sheryl @ Flowery Prose on May 29, 2012 at 10:33 am

6. Was wondering if I could use different fruit strawberry or how about blueberries. Oh how about peaches this summer.

by Michele on May 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm

7. Michele – I don’t see why not! All of those sound delicious! ๐Ÿ™‚

by Tracy on May 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm

8. I don’t have a green thumb either and my allergies go crazy! I am thinking of growing an herb garden though. =)

by Stephanie on May 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm

9. I don’t have a green thumb either. I like the idea of having a garden, but I just can’t be bothered to give one the love it needs :/

Great looking pie by the way ๐Ÿ™‚

by Becca - Cookie Jar Treats on May 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm

10. Now I’m hankering after a homemade pie, rhubarb or other!

by Jenna on May 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm

11. Creamy rhubarb pie??? Now THIS is different. Love it!

by Katrina on May 29, 2012 at 1:31 pm

12. You just took rhubarb pie to a whole new level! I’ve got to try this!

I can help you with your garden. Just ask me any questions ๐Ÿ™‚ Rhubarb is soooo easy to grow. It’s a weed. You can run the lawn mower over it (after it’s established for about 3 years) and it will come back every time!

by DessertForTwo on May 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

13. Do you think frozen rhubarb would work? My husband would (will) love this pie!

by Jen on May 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm

14. I love that this pie is vreamy and that you combine the rhubard with custard, I am sure it tastes heavenly!

by Catalina @ Cake with Love on May 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

15. Oh my goodness this pie looks sooooo good and so beautiful! I love rhubarb times a million ๐Ÿ™‚

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on May 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm

16. I made this pie today and my husband said it was an amazing pie. Thanks for the recipe.

by Dawn on May 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm

17. I HAVE BEEN MAKING A SIMILAR PIE FOR DECADES WITH SOUR CREAM!! MOST DELICIOUS & POPULAR PIE, EVER! PEOPLE LOVE IT; EVEN THOSE WHO THINK THEY WON’T BECAUSE IT IS ”RHUBARB”! MY HUSBAND WOULD HAVE ME MAKE IT EVERY FEW DAYS! IT IS SO CREAMY & SOUR CREAM CUTS THE BITTERNESS THAT RHUBARB TENDS TO HAVE.

AND YES, I USE FROZEN RHUBARB ALL WINTER–JUST DON’T THAW IT 1ST!!! ALSO HAVE A RECIPE USING PEACHES BUT I LOVE PEACH PIE SO MUCH, I CAN’T BEAR TAMPERING WITH IT WHEN I HAVE FRESH PEACES TO USE, FINALLY!

by BONNIE JOHNSON on May 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm

18. P.S. NO EGGS OR SPICES IN MY RECIPE.

I ALSO HAVE A ”PEANUT BUTER” PIE TO DIE FOR!!

by BONNIE JOHNSON on May 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

19. Jen – I think frozen rhubarb will work as well, though I haven’t tried it yet. I’d pop it into the filling still frozen just as I would for a strawberry-rhubarb pie.

Dawn – Wow, you are quick, hehe! I’m so glad you enjoyed the pie! ๐Ÿ™‚

by Tracy on May 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

20. I absolutely LOVE this idea — and that the middle is made with Greek Yogurt; brilliant! You can bet we’ll try this one.

by SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen on May 29, 2012 at 7:03 pm

21. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I’m all about rhubarb right now, so this sounds incredible.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on May 29, 2012 at 8:10 pm

22. Such a pretty pie! I don’t make near enough custard pies. Love this rhubarb version.

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on May 30, 2012 at 5:44 pm

23. I’ve never tried rhubarb before but, let me tell you, I have a love affair with custard. I’ll eat any dessert made with custartd…I’m obsessed!

by Erika - The Teenage Taste on May 31, 2012 at 7:19 am

24. Is it bad that I would totally consider this pie breakfast food? I mean, it’s creamy, and there’s yogurt and oats, and well – rhubarb is healthy, right?

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on May 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

25. I’m so into rhubarb at the moment, this sounds fantastic!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jun 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm

26. I’m a huge rhubarb lover, this recipe is just for me! Thanks for sharing!

by Emmanuelle on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:56 am

27. I can’t get enough of rhubarb lately! Yum!!

by Elizabeth on Jun 9, 2012 at 11:03 am

28. This was delicious!!! My grocery store didn’t have any rhubarb so I used strawberries. Yum!

by Maria on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:52 am