Banana & Cherry Baked Oatmeal

First of all, I just want to say how touched I am from reading all of your comments on my post last week in which I announced the official launch of my new business, Sugarcrafter Sweets. It means more to me than I can put into words, and I can’t thank you enough for your support. Second, I wanted to answer a question that I’ve been asked a few times since my announcement – no, I’m not going to stop blogging. I’ll still be here on Sugarcrafter, cooking and baking up delicious things…although I may be posting a little less frequently now that I have a business to run!

Along those lines, today I have a simple recipe for baked oatmeal. I made mine with bananas and cherries that I had frozen from last year, but you can use strawberries, blueberries, or any other kind of fruit that you like. Also, feel free to get fancy with the spices, perhaps using nutmeg instead of cardamom or sprinkling a little cinnamon-sugar on top. It’s a perfect way to start your day. I hope you enjoy it!

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 12×8″ pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, baking powder, brown sugar, spices, and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, egg whites, butter, and vanilla.

Arrange the banana slices on the bottom of the dish.

Spoon 2/3 of the cherries over the bananas, and then sprinkle the oat mixture over the top. Drizzle the milk mixture over the top of the oats, making sure all of the oats are moistened. Scatter the rest of the cherries on top.

Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Posted by on May 21, 2012.

Tags:

Categories: breakfast & brunch

1. Never made oatmeal like this before, but there’s always a first. Thanks!

by Stephanie on May 21, 2012 at 12:06 am

2. Stop blogging?! Don’t even think such things!!! {{So excited for you!!}}

by Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen on May 21, 2012 at 5:52 am

3. Mmmm, I am loving the look of this baked oatmeal. I love the pretty color added by the cherries!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on May 21, 2012 at 7:25 am

4. So easy! Love this simple and tasty looking breakfast!

by Katrina on May 21, 2012 at 9:18 am

5. YUM! I love oatmeal in any form, and this one looks amazing!! And, SO glad that you don’t plan to stop blogging. =)

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on May 21, 2012 at 9:36 am

6. I love oatmeal, but have never tried it baked. I love how chewy it looks though, and the bananas and cherries added sound amazing!!

by Cookbook Queen on May 21, 2012 at 9:42 am

7. I’ve never baked oatmeal before–well, not in this type of way. It looks delicious!

by Jennifer on May 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

8. This looks amazing! Thank you!

by Sara on May 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

9. I need to bake me some granola! who knew?

by shelly (cookies and cups) on May 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

10. Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite comfort breakfasts. This looks wonderful!

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on May 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm

11. This looks fabulous! I need some new creative breakfast ideas, so I’m definitely going to whip up a batch of this baked oatmeal this week. Thanks for the inspiration and the recipe!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on May 21, 2012 at 3:53 pm

12. Is this like a bar? Sounds Delicious!!

by Sharon on May 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

13. Sharon – It does cut nicely into a bar once it cools a little!

by Tracy on May 23, 2012 at 8:18 pm

14. What a delicious looking baked oatmeal, Tracy! It would be perfect for a family or for when I have guests staying over. Love the fresh cherries and bananas you added in!

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on May 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm

15. I love fresh cherries this time of year, and into oatmeal is the perfect use for them!

by Baking Serendipity on May 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm

16. YAY! I was a little worried that you were going to stop blogging – thank goodness that isn’t happening! I love your blog, Tracy!

by Erika - The Teenage Taste on May 25, 2012 at 7:11 pm

17. wow, this looks amazingly good. I love how neatly you placed the bananas. I’m way too careless sometimes.

by Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef on May 26, 2012 at 8:44 am

18. I have been meaning to try baked oatmeal for ages and this combination looks like the perfect recipe to start with.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on May 26, 2012 at 12:28 pm

19. I tried the baked oatmeal… Mine came out a bit chewy (almost rubbery chewy )… Did I cook it too long? Thanks a bunch!

by Rachael on May 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

20. Rachael – They should be somewhat chewy, but not rubbery…I’d suggest mixing the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients (and adding in the cherries after doing so) before pouring them over the bananas to make sure that all of the oats are nice and moist. Hope that helps!

by Tracy on May 27, 2012 at 9:55 am

21. Thank you Tracy! I’ll try that next time!

by Rachael on May 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm

22. I have some bananas and strawberries just calling out for this recipe. Thanks, Tracy!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on May 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

23. Yum, this looks delicious! Congrats on your business 🙂

by Miss CandiQuik on Jun 20, 2012 at 1:47 pm

24. Just made it for my paddle tennis team for after our match. It was a big hit! I used the portable warmer and they said I should have brought ice cream with it it was so delicious. Thank you!

by Jen on Feb 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm