Mac & Beer Cheese

Remember that mac & beer cheese that I mentioned we had at Stone Brewery during our stay in San Diego? And how I promised I’d be recreating it at home? Well, this is its moment of pure, cheesy goodness. After a lot of research and a fair bit of tweaking, I’ve come up with a recipe for what I think is a pretty accurate representation of their dish. Of course, you can always get a little fancy with the spices if you want, or use milk instead of cream, or different kinds of cheese or beer – make it your own! This is by far the best mac & cheese I’ve made, and I know I’ll be making it again and again. I also know it’s going to be great this summer as a side to the many hot dogs and hamburgers we’ll be consuming once grilling season gets underway…and, I think it’ll be a perfect potluck dish as well. Enjoy!

For the pasta:

For the sausage:

For the beer-cheese sauce:

For the topping:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 12×8″ baking dish with cooking spray. In a large pot, boil water and the salt. Cook the macaroni according to package directions.Β In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and ale. Saute the sausage until good and browned. Drain.

To make the cheese sauce, scald the cream and beer (heat until just about to boil) in a medium sauce pan.

In a small bowl, microwave the butter and flour until the butter is melted, and then stir to make a thick paste.

Drop the paste into the hot beer mixture, and continue cooking over low-medium heat until thickened. Stir in the garlic and pepper. Stir in the cheeses (you may need to move the sauce to a bigger bowl like I did). If sauce is too thick, thin with more beer, if too thin, add more cheese.

In a small bowl, whisk together the topping ingredients.

Toss the beer-cheese sauce with the macaroni and sausage.

Spoon into the prepared dish and sprinkle with the topping.

Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.

Posted by on May 10, 2012.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. Is there a reason pinning is not allowed on this recipe?

by Carra on May 10, 2012 at 10:43 am

2. YES, please!!!! This looks just fabulous. I love cheese and I love beer. So how could I not love this dish? I love that you re-created what you had in San Diego!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on May 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

3. Carra – You were just too quick for me; I hadn’t made the Flickr photos public yet. You should be able to pin with no problems now. Enjoy! πŸ™‚

by Tracy on May 10, 2012 at 10:51 am

4. I want this for breakfast. But only if you make it for me. πŸ™‚

by Cookbook Queen on May 10, 2012 at 10:52 am

5. I want this for breakfast, lunch and dinner today. Maybe dessert too. I wonder if I can get James to eat it.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on May 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

6. Oh WOW! Nice recreation! It looks great!

by stephchows on May 10, 2012 at 11:31 am

7. Tracy, this looks AMAZING! If only my boyfriend wasn’t lactose intolerant, he would love this! Maybe I’ll make it and eat it all myself πŸ™‚

by Sarah @ a dash and a pinch on May 10, 2012 at 11:31 am

8. Oh I am so glad you decided to recreate this and share!

by Erin on May 10, 2012 at 11:55 am

9. OMG my husband will go crazy if I make him this!!! Looks delicious, and I love all the flavors and ingredients!! This is the perfect recipe for a Friday night, eating it under a blanket and watching TV!!

by Catalina @ Cake with Love on May 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

10. I LOVE the Dubliner with Stout. I got my sister-in-law hooked, too. She just made me bring her two wheels last weekend when we went down to visit since she can’t find it in the sticks.

by Shaina on May 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm

11. Oh WOW. After loving your gouda mac and cheese, I definitely have to make this one since you say it’s better. I can’t wait to get into the kitchen now!

by Jenna on May 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm

12. Kerrygold cheese cannot be beat for meals like this one. Love this Tracy!

by Cassie on May 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

13. oh my lord. I want in a baaaad way.

by shelly (cookies and cups) on May 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm

14. That looks so wonderful. I cannot wait to try this recipe out.

by carolinaheartstrings on May 10, 2012 at 9:21 pm

15. Thanks Tracy!! I had to pin this because it looked so amazing but I knew if I printed the recipe, it’d get lost in my Mary poppins-esque bag. πŸ™‚

by Carra on May 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm

16. You’re gonna love this! My sister in law saw this on Pinterest and asked me to make it for her! It looks GREAT!

by sweetsugarbelle on May 10, 2012 at 11:24 pm

17. I’m underage, so this dish isn’t really appropraite for me, but boy does it look delicious! I love the addition of sausage. I’ll have to try thtat with the go-to mac&cheese πŸ™‚

by Becca - Cookie Jar Treats on May 10, 2012 at 11:43 pm

18. This looks totally and utterly amazing! I love the combination of beer and cheese, can’t wait to try this!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on May 11, 2012 at 12:39 am

19. Drooling over here! This looks incredible! Great recipe Tracey.

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on May 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

20. Do you mind if I ask if you are supposed to use flat warm beer?

by Penny on May 11, 2012 at 11:11 am

21. Beer and Sausage? I’m pretty sure Brian would eat this for every meal of every day. Can’t wait to try it!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on May 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

22. Totally a keeper! Great creation.

by Jennifer on May 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm

23. beer, plus cheese, and pasta?!? yes, please!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on May 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm

24. Making this for Mother’s Day dinner, sans sausage. Next round, I’ll definitely try it WITH the sausage. Thanks for sharing this-it was perfect timing for me!

by Kerri on May 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

25. I don’t like beer as a beverage to sip on, but I think I might be able to tolerate it in mac and cheese! It looks amazing, love the sausage in there… great flavors.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on May 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

26. This looks incredible. I LOVE that Kerrygold cheese, so I know I’d love this mac and cheese. I’m not really much of a beer drinker, but I certainly like to have it around for fun kitchen experiments!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on May 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

27. This looks phenomenal!

by Rachel Cooks on May 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm

28. Wow this mac and cheese looks so insanely good. Love the cheddar stout and the gouda. YUM!

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on May 23, 2012 at 10:55 am

29. While this goes against both my healthy food and healthy wallet goals, I will be making this immediately!!

by Sarah on Aug 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm

30. Thanks for recipe!!! Sooo good. Made for Father’s Day. Better than Stone!

by CDO on Jun 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm