S’mores Cookies

It seems that my offer went over well with Mother Nature…even though it’s still on the chilly side out there, there’s been no more snow to speak of, and for that I am very thankful. Now, we can get back to all things spring…and even a little bit of summer. My friend Shelly over at Cookies & Cups has been doing a S’mores Week on her blog all week, so I’ve been dreaming about going camping and one of my favorite parts, sitting around the campfire talking and making s’mores. Since I was really craving cookies one night this week, I decided to take that inspiration and whip up a batch of s’mores cookies. Not only are these cookies fun to make when you want a little taste of summer, but I’m thinking about making them for our next camping trip since I think they’d make a great portable snack to take on a walk or hike. Hope you enjoy the cookies, and if you’re looking for more s’more-inspired desserts, head on over to Shelly’s blog!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until pale and fluffy.

Add in the egg and vanilla, and beat an additional 1-2 minutes.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and graham cracker or cereal crumbs.

Add the dry ingredients gradually to the wet ingredients, and mix on low speed until the dough comes together. Stir in the chocolate and marshmallows.

Since the marshmallows can be a little hard to incorporate into the batter, use your hands to form the dough into 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized balls, and then place them on the prepared sheet. Update: One of my readers commented that they had a problem with the marshmallows melting out of the cookies and making them stick to the parchment, which I saw in a few of my cookies as well – and I’ve decided the best way to combat this is to stuff the marshmallows into the center of the cookie dough balls. That way you get a nice, melty marshmallow center, and the cookie stays intact.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Some of them might be a little lumpy from the marshmallows, and that’s okay.

Once the cookies are cool, dip the bottoms in the melted chocolate. Let sit upside-down until the chocolate firms up. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Want more s’mores? Don’t forget to check out the lovely mini s’mores whoopie pies by Liz of Little Bitty Bakes and gooey red velvet s’mores bars by Jessica of How Sweet It Is, which they made for me while I was on vacation on San Diego – they’re both too fabulous for words!

Posted by on April 26, 2012.

Tags: , ,

1. Yay! I love love these! Dipping the bottoms is genius!

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

2. These look delicious! And I love the idea of dipping the bottoms in chocolate. Awesome!

by Anna on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:37 am

3. omg omg omg LOVE smores!! and a week dedicated to them! she knows what she’s talking about! I just made these frozen smore bites… will be posted within the week. they look bad, but they taste delicious!

by stephchows on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

4. Whoa, lady! They look so yummy, and not nearly as messy as a normal s’mores. I’m in!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:55 am

5. Love these! Great S’mores treat!

by Maria on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

6. I love the dipped bottoms! It’s a nice change to many of the s’mores cookies I’ve seen around lately :)

by Katrina on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:24 am

7. I have four words for these cookies…get in my belly!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:49 am

8. Gorgeous cookies!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:51 am

9. OMG these are so cute and tall, and look delicious!! I want one right now, too bad I am at work!!

by Catalina @ Cake with Love on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

10. OMG!! These look so good!! I am going to have to make these!!

by Alice on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

11. I love s’mores of any and all varieties! It seems we’re all dreaming of them and camp fires recently :)

by Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:39 pm

12. Oooh, so pretty! I like that they turned out lumpy–it makes the cookies more fun to eat if you’re anticipating a gooey marshmallow bite or a sweet chocolate bite!

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Apr 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm

13. Ooo I love that you dipped them into chocolate

by Erin on Apr 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

14. These look amazing! I love s’mores anything!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:37 pm

15. These look so tasty, I am sitting at work craving one!

by Brian on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:57 pm

16. Yummy, I love s’mores, and I really love that you dipped these in chocolate!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm

17. Now that is just the way I like my cookies…filled with lots of yummy stuff and dipped in chocolate! These look amazing!!!

by Jocelyn @BruCrew Life on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm

18. These look absolutely amazing! I’ a senior in high school and I’m graduating in about 3 weeks, and I could not be more excited about summer. These cookies scream “summer” (and “I’m tasty! Eat me!”!)

I can’t wait to try these!!! :D

by Becca - Cookie Jar Treats on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm

19. These look wonderful. Love the idea of the dipping. Thanks for sharing

by rick on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:24 am

20. Ooooh! They must be delicious! Chocolate and Marshmallows! Wow!
    Where I come from, we don’t bake with Marshmallows.
    When the cookies are cold, does the Mm goes back to its initial texture?

Would be great if you’d join the “International and Virtual Cookie Swap” on:

by Ckay on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

21. Yum those cookies look really good and easy to make. :)

by Joan on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

22. This recipe will go my “things I must try” list!!

by Dinah S on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

23. Dee-licious!! They almost make me want to go camping and make real s’mores . . .

by Jenna on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:52 pm

24. S’mores in pretty much any form are delicious!

by Elizabeth on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

25. This is the kind of cookie my little guy would go crazy for!

by Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:03 pm

26. Now this is my kind of cookie! They look amazing, Tracy. Thanks for sharing!

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Apr 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

27. These look really yummy, definitely makes me wish summer would come sooner. I especially like that you dipped them in chocolate.

by Raina on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm

28. Those cookies look terrific. I cannot wait to make them and eat them all!!!!

by carolinaheartstrings on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:30 pm

29. I have to tell you – these are a new family fave. I absolutely adore them. We made them without the dipping chocolate and they were still sweet and wonderful!

by CariP on May 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm

30. I’m not sure what went wrong, but I seemed to have a much different experience based on the other comments! I followed the recipe perfectly (only I skipped the dipping part) but my cookies were a disaster. The dough (if you can call it that) was too dry to stick, so I had to add canola oil to even form the cookies. The marshmallows burst and spread all over the parchment paper. Out of a little more than 3 dozen cookies, about 6 look like actual cookies. The rest are a mess. I’m very disappointed.

by jolier on Apr 22, 2013 at 10:42 pm

31. Jolier – I’m sorry the cookies didn’t turn out for you! I double-checked the recipe to make sure that I had written everything down correctly, and it looks okay, so I’m not sure what may have went wrong. I hope your next cookie-making experience turns out better, though!

by Tracy on Apr 23, 2013 at 8:56 pm