Strawberry Rhubarb White Wine Sangria

Dear Mother Nature,

I’m not really sure what’s going on out there, but in case you forgot, it’s supposed to be spring. I was not supposed to wake up and see this. Yes, I realize that it’s upstate NY, and we usually have winter 9 months out of the year. But you see, you’ve spoiled us with all the nice weather we’ve been having all winter long – and well, the mini snow storm we had yesterday? Not cool. So today, instead of enjoying some of this delicious sangria I made a couple days ago when it was still spring, I’m hitting up my Keurig for hot cocoa. On behalf of very cold northerners everywhere, I humbly request that we all move past this pesky little storm as quickly as possible and get on with spring. I’ll even share my sangria. Deal?

Sincerely,
Tracy

• 1 (1.5 liter) bottle semisweet white wine
  • 1/4 cup triple sec
  • 1 shot rum
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 orange, sliced, and the slices halved
  • 1 cup strawberries, quartered
  • 1 cup rhubarb, sliced
  • Ice cubes and club soda (optional)

In a large pitcher, stir together the wine, triple sec, rum, and sugar. Toss in the fruits. Let sit in the refrigerator until chilled (about 2 hours, but overnight is best) and the flavors are well-blended. When ready to serve, add ice and club soda, if desired.

20 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb White Wine Sangria”

1. 1 Sondra Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 9:39 am

Love your letter to Mother Nature. My daughter just said this morning that she must be going through menopause with all of her mood (season) swings and hot and cold flashes. :) I am going to pin your Sangria & mix some up as soon as Mother Nature lets us have warm weather again…it sounds divine.

2. 2 Caitlin @ Cake with Love Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 10:27 am

I am having some people over on Saturday and I was looking for a Sangria recipe this one is perfect not too many crazy ingredients, easy to make and looks beautiful, as always Tracy your recipes rock!!!

3. 3 Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 11:26 am

I heard your part of the country was getting hit with lots of snow. UGH! But, this sangria looks AMAZING! I love, love, love sangria, though I never thought to add rhubarb. What a great idea!!

4. 4 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 11:34 am

I can’t believe you just got snow! That’s crazy. Hubs was shocked when he heard areas in the NE got snow. Such a peculiar winter/spring we’ve all had.

5. 5 Joan Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Come to Minnesota and share your Sangria! Cannot wait to try the recipe.

6. 6 Mireia Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

It’s snowing? Amazing!! The sangria looks great!

7. 7 Jenna Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Mmmm! That pitcher full of goodness is reminding me of just how thirsty I am at the moment. Alas, water is all that awaits me.

8. 8 Katrina Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 7:28 pm

What a great drink for summer. This would be great for my girls weekend coming up soon :)

9. 9 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Man, Mother Nature is a dummy if she doesn’t take that deal. Tracy, this sangria looks so perfect. We’ll have to enjoy some on the deck this summer, hey?

10. 10 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    April 24th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I’ll sign your petition to Mother Nature. This is like a bad Earth Day hangover. What is UP?

White wine sangria is a favorite of mine! I make it with sliced melons, but your version sounds perfect for spring.

11. 11 Nina Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 10:43 am

Oflate i have taken a liking for rhubarbs….jes made some rhubarb souffle yesterday. I think my next try wud be your rhubarb sangria.Great recipe:)

12. 12 stephchows Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 10:54 am

LOL mother nature is having a bit of a fit! At least the sun is out today!

13. 13 elizabeth @ chronic venture Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 11:27 am

yum yum! I love white wine sangria. I just recently made one pretty close to this. so delicious!

14. 14 Aimee @ ShugarySweets Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Yum. That is all.

15. 15 Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 6:58 pm

SNOW?! That’s crazy. I live in Virginia and I’m kind of jealous…I love cold weather. I do also enjoy spring though, and this sangria looks like the perfect beverage for it!

16. 16 carolinaheartstrings Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Sorry about the snow! This drink looks so tasty. I am making a big pitcher this weekend. Come and visit us. We have some wonderful things to share.

17. 17 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I am not much of a drinker, but I’m thinking this might just change all that!

18. 18 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:35 am

I would never have thought to put rhubarb in sangria, but what a lovely idea! If spring ever decides to show her face around here I will be sure to make it! ;)

19. 19 Cassie Says:
    May 1st, 2012 at 11:48 am

It’s definitely the time of year for sangria here. And this is so perfect. This is on my menu for Memorial day. My family loves sangria!

20. 20 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    May 4th, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’m not sure how I missed this post a couple weeks ago but man am I happy that I’m seeing it now! Strawberry rhubarb anything is my favorite flavor! This sangria seriously looks fabulous!! :)