Rustic Rhubarb Galette

Anyone else out there hosting Easter this year? We host every year, and while it’s always a lot of fun, it’s also a bit of work, too. Right now I seem to have gotten behind on my to-do list, so I’m hoping that today I’ll be able to catch up. In the meantime, I’m leaving you with this recipe for a rustic rhubarb galette. If you have frozen pie crust on hand, it’s easy to throw together – and of course, no pie dish required! While you may not have a stash of rhubarb in your freezer like I do since I’m a little obsessed with it, I have seen some beginning to appear at the grocery store, and of course you can always get it from the frozen section as well. Enjoy, and have a happy Tuesday…and I’ll be back later this week with another great Easter recipe!

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the pie crust to form a 13″ crust, and then place it on the prepared sheet.

In a large bowl, mix together the sugars, flour, and ginger. Add in the rhubarb and toss until well-coated. Mound the filling in the center of the crust, leaving 2-3″ edge. Cut the butter into small pieces and sprinkle over the top of the filling. Fold the pastry over the filling. Sprinkle some extra granulated sugar over the top, if desired.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until the crust is light golden brown. If the crust begins to brown too much, cover with aluminum foil during the last 10 minutes of baking. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.

Posted by on April 3, 2012.

1. I am so happy it’s rhibarb season again. This reminds me I’ve got some in the freezer I should use up before my aunt gives us a big batch from her garden.

by Sarah on Apr 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm

2. I want to come to your house for Easter! How fab does this galette look?! Throw a few strawberries in there and you just might have my favorite pie ever.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

3. My rhubarb is still hibernating. No wonder, it is snowing today.
    Can’t wait for it to get going, since I love it, too.
    Great recipe!

by Kirsten@My German Kitchen...in the Rockies on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:17 pm

4. Oh I need to save this for my dad! He would love it.

by Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm

5. I LOVE rhubarb! Ours is peeking up out of the soil in our garden… can’t wait for it to grow a little more so we can pick and enjoy it. I’ll have to try this recipe with my 93 year old grandmother’s no-fail pie crust!

by SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm

6. Yum! I’m hoping I can find some rhubarb at the first Farmers’ Market of the year this weekend!

by Julie @Savvy Eats on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:58 pm

7. Three cheers for rhubarb season. And rhubarb + cardamom is one of my favorite pairings. Your tart looks and sounds delicious. Can’t wait to try it…maybe with a little creme fraiche!

by Bobbi on Apr 3, 2012 at 7:07 pm

8. I just saw rhubarb last week and it was looking great!! My mom loves it, maybe I should make her this for Easter!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:43 pm

9. I’m also obsessed with rhubarb and have many recipes on my blog to show for it! Are you gearing up for the new rhubarb we’ll be getting this June?? I’m trying to use up my frozen stuff now since I know tons more will be coming my way in no time. Exciting!! Also, I totally bookmarked this. I shall be making this bad boy soon! 🙂

by Katrina on Apr 4, 2012 at 7:20 am

10. Love rhubarb!

I thought for sure, I was the only person that does. It pairs so well with strawberries in homemade jams. So great to make your own.

Not sure if I can prepare the above this week. Maybe for Mother’s Day!

Enjoy the holidays folks.

by Marcee ..... ILLINOIS on Apr 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

11. We’re going over to another family’s house for Easter lunch (so glad about that!) so no work for me this year . . . but if I were hosting, I’d seriously consider putting this on the menu for dessert.

by Jenna on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:09 am

12. LOVE RHUBARB! Can’t wait to give this a shot. I am also loving the rustic look of this! Great job 🙂

by Rebecca on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

13. I don’t know where I could find rhubarb in Spain but this looks pretty good!

by Mireia on Apr 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm

14. What a great idea for a galette! Very spring-inspired and I bet absolutely delicious. Lovely recipe, Tracy!

by Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

15. I love the color!

by Noble Pig - Cathy on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm

16. Totally appreciate your being rushed and the hostess, again! I’m sure everything will get done and it will all be beautiful (and delicious) – the galette looks wonderful! Happy Easter.

by Laura @ WyldeThyme on Apr 4, 2012 at 9:53 pm

17. I made this today! But I have to admit that I really only like rhubarb ALOT when it is married to strawberrys..so that is what I did. I made a strawberry/rhubarb version..and it is YUMMO!!!! Thanks!

by Amy DeKok on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

18. This looks fabulous! I love pie, but it can be hard to make, so this seems like a really quick and easy way to get the taste of pie without all of the work. Thanks for sharing!

by Laura Dembowski on Apr 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm