Shamrock Shakes

I’m not normally a huge fan of mint, but every spring when the Shamrock Shake advertisements begin flooding in, I find myself craving one. Fortunately, they are incredibly easy to whip up at home! I’ve provided a link to my homemade vanilla bean ice cream recipe in the ingredients list, but you can certainly substitute store-bought if you don’t want to make your own. I adapted my recipe from Michelle’s Homemade Shamrock Shakes since I think she found the perfect thickness for these shakes, and because the minty flavor isn’t at all overpowering, which is important for someone who doesn’t really love mint. I also enjoy changing things up and making chocolate Shamrock Shakes, simply by adding in a bit of chocolate syrup…a trick I learned from a friend and fellow Shamrock Shake addict last year. Either way, you can’t go wrong with this tasty treat. Have a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day this weekend!

Slightly adapted from here. Makes 2 shakes.

In a blender or food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. Divide between two glasses, and enjoy!

Posted by on March 15, 2012.

Tags:

Categories: desserts & sweets, drinks

1. Yum! We’ve decided to stay in for St P’s Day and make some (homemade) pizza. These Shamrock shakes look like a tempting addition to our night-in menu . . .

by Jenna on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:56 am

2. Wow, my boys would love these! What a pretty mint color, too.

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:09 am

3. YUM! What a great homemade alternative to the McDonald’s version. I love the color of yours. Your picture is lovely!!

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Mar 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm

4. Interesting – I’ve never used anything like that amount of ice cream to make a milkshake. It’s usually (much) more milk than ice cream, and lightens the calories too. For sure that’s how Mickey D’s gets them so thick though.

by Joe on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:09 pm

5. I’m pretty sure I’m the only human in the US that has never had a Shamrock Shake. It does look tempting though 🙂

by Becca - Cookie Jar Treats on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:23 pm

6. Oh my gosh, you’re my hero! I absolutely love these milkshakes, and I’ve been looking for a way to make my own. Thanks for posting this!

by Sarah @ a dash and a pinch on Mar 16, 2012 at 9:44 am

7. I don’t really like mint either but if you say it’s good I guess I’ll hav to try it

by Mireia on Mar 16, 2012 at 12:26 pm

8. I’m going to have to make my own shamrock shakes now! I’ve been sorely disappointed by them the past few years…ever since they switched them to the “thicker” McCafe version. Yuck.

by Crystal on Mar 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

9. I could live on Shamrock Shakes! I haven’t had the version from McDonald’s in forever, simply because I know it’s so calorie-laden. I’m trying your version, for sure!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Mar 16, 2012 at 8:38 pm

10. great home-made alternative to that yucky stuff at mcd’s… i just had one there recently and they changed their ‘formula’ definitely not what i remembered as a kid.

by laura tillinghast on Mar 16, 2012 at 10:39 pm

11. I have been tempted to stop for a Shamrock Shake about 10,000 times this month – love that I can make them at home!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Mar 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm

12. Oh man, Shamrock Shakes. Such a dangerous time of year.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:07 am