Grilled Personal Polenta Pizzas

Recently I’ve been craving grilled food. In fact, just a couple nights ago I made a meal we frequently have in the summer – hot dogs on the grill with sautéed peppers and onions, homemade relish, and homemade roasted potato fries. It definitely hit the spot, but it also reminded me that I hadn’t yet shared these personal polenta pizzas that I made for a light dinner last week, which I am quite addicted to now. I used my George Foreman grill since I didn’t want to brave the cold (the hubby is the true grill master around here), and it worked just as well. Also, if you prepare the polenta ahead of time or buy it pre-cooked, these can be ready in a snap for a quick lunch or light weeknight meal. Enjoy!

Makes two individual-sized pizzas (about 5″ pizzas depending on how thick you make the crust).

• 2 cups water
  • 4 ounces instant polenta
  • 4 Tbsp tomato sauce, divided
  • 2 Tbsp rosemary, divided
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • Pepperoni slices

To make the polenta, bring the water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Stir in the instant polenta, and then continue cooking until the polenta thickens. Remove from the heat.

Divide the polenta in half. Using a spoon (or your fingers, if the polenta is cool enough), press each half of the polenta into a rough circle on a parchment-lined baking sheet, making it as thick or thin as you like – it doesn’t have to be perfect!

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm and set. When ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium, and brush both sides of the polenta crusts with olive oil. Grill on both sides until light golden brown and grill marks are noticeable. Then, still on the grill, top with the sauce, cheese, rosemary, and pepperoni (or your toppings of choice).

Reduce the grill heat to low, and let the pizzas sit on the grill for just a few minutes longer until the cheese melts, being careful not to let the bottom burn. Serve warm.

29 Responses to “Grilled Personal Polenta Pizzas”

1. 1 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 11:09 am

Ooooh, what a unique idea!! These looks so easy and tasty!! Love the twist on a traditional crust.

2. 2 Ashley {Kitchen Meets Girl} Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 11:12 am

I am also so, SO ready for grilling season! These little pizzas might just tide me over–I love the idea of using polenta! We will have to give these a try!

3. 3 Kerry Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

What a creative idea! I think i might have to try this with my hubs soon!!!

4. 4 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

This is such a great idea! I love it!

5. 5 Sunny @foryourpiesonly Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Ah the joys of living in the cold North…I too have been dreaming of my outdoor grill! These pizzas also look delicious…will have to try them :)

6. 6 Victoria Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Hi! Looks delightful! So – where I live is now being hit by a white – out blizzard, impossible to grill anything – I saw them and now I am craving them, could I bake them in an oven instead? Thanks!

7. 7 Jenna Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Ooooh, what an awesome idea! I love how you use polenta as the pizza base. I’m going to have to adopt that into my kitchen!

8. 8 Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I would never have thought to use polenta as a crust. What a great idea! They look gorgeous, Tracy.

9. 9 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Oh my goodness… I am kind of obsessed with ordering polenta at restaurants lately (and let’s not even discuss the polenta fries I have been eating!). Have never made it at home, but I want to. This pizza is calling my name!

10. 10 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Aren’t you creative!! I love polenta in every form, now topped with cheese & herbs? Yes please!

11. 11 G. Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Oohhh! What an terrific idea, Tracy! I love polenta. I could eat it everyday. Plus, this is a quicker (and less expensive) way to enjoy pizza, gluten-free. :)

12. 12 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

What a fantastic idea – now I’m craving polenta and pizza!

13. 13 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Love that you broke out the used my George Foreman grill for these. I dont have a grill (and I think I donated my G.Foreman to Goodwill)…whooops!

14. 14 Aggie Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

This looks so good. I love polenta but for some reason I don’t really cook with it often….I need to experiment with this!

15. 15 Raina Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Wow does that look good! You are making me very hungry. I would never have thought to use polenta this way but I will definitely have to make it:)

16. 16 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 11:03 pm

You’re so creative Tracy! Would you believe that I’ve never eaten polenta before?! Me thinks I need to give it a try!

17. 17 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 11:16 pm

This is such an awesome idea. Even though it’s been warm enough to grill here, I’m afraid that if I pull it out, we’ll get hit with a blizzard – so I think I’ll griddle these inside!

18. 18 megan @ whatmegansmaking Says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 7:29 am

I’ve been wanting to try Polenta for awhile and this looks like the perfect recipe! I might try it on the stove or under the broiler though :)

19. 19 Stacy Says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 10:55 am

LOVE this idea! Can’t wait to try.

20. 20 Mireia Says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 11:17 am

What a great idea! it looks fantastic!

21. 21 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh Says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 11:50 am

What a great twist on regular ol’ pizza! I love new ways to use polenta!

22. 22 Caitlin @ Cake with Love Says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I like polenta very ,uch, but I never thought of polenta pizza, great idea!

23. 23 elizabeth @ chronic venture Says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 1:07 pm

loving all of the new twists on pizza im seeing today!! this one is awesome!

24. 24 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I love the idea of making the pizzas on the grill with polenta.

25. 25 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    March 1st, 2012 at 8:23 am

I haven’t always been the biggest fan of polenta, but throw some sauce and cheese on top, and I might jump on board. ;)

26. 26 bridget {bake at 350} Says:
    March 1st, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh my gosh….polenta crust! Genius!!! We have pizza and movie night every week…and while my boys love the traditional, I always like to shake things up a bit for mine. Will be trying..and loving…this!

27. 27 STUFT Mama Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh my goodness….. this looks awesome! I’ve never made instant polenta though. I’ve only bought it in tubes. I’m guessing that would probably work also. :) Thanks for the delicious recipe.

28. 28 Expedition Eat (Dina Krohne) Says:
    March 7th, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh my! They look yummy and the grilled polenta must task so good. I want to do them as minis and use as appetizers.

29. 29 Stacy Says:
    March 7th, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Wow, these look amazing. I’ll have to remember this when I want pizza at the last minute and don’t have time to make traditional pizza dough. Thanks for sharing.