Grilled Personal Polenta Pizzas

Recently I’ve been craving grilled food. In fact, just a couple nights ago I made a meal we frequently have in the summer – hot dogs on the grill with sautéed peppers and onions, homemade relish, and homemade roasted potato fries. It definitely hit the spot, but it also reminded me that I hadn’t yet shared these personal polenta pizzas that I made for a light dinner last week, which I am quite addicted to now. I used my George Foreman grill since I didn’t want to brave the cold (the hubby is the true grill master around here), and it worked just as well. Also, if you prepare the polenta ahead of time or buy it pre-cooked, these can be ready in a snap for a quick lunch or light weeknight meal. Enjoy!

Makes two individual-sized pizzas (about 5″ pizzas depending on how thick you make the crust).

To make the polenta, bring the water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Stir in the instant polenta, and then continue cooking until the polenta thickens. Remove from the heat.

Divide the polenta in half. Using a spoon (or your fingers, if the polenta is cool enough), press each half of the polenta into a rough circle on a parchment-lined baking sheet, making it as thick or thin as you like – it doesn’t have to be perfect!

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm and set. When ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium, and brush both sides of the polenta crusts with olive oil. Grill on both sides until light golden brown and grill marks are noticeable. Then, still on the grill, top with the sauce, cheese, rosemary, and pepperoni (or your toppings of choice).

Reduce the grill heat to low, and let the pizzas sit on the grill for just a few minutes longer until the cheese melts, being careful not to let the bottom burn. Serve warm.

Posted by on February 28, 2012.

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. Ooooh, what a unique idea!! These looks so easy and tasty!! Love the twist on a traditional crust.

by Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

2. I am also so, SO ready for grilling season! These little pizzas might just tide me over–I love the idea of using polenta! We will have to give these a try!

by Ashley {Kitchen Meets Girl} on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

3. What a creative idea! I think i might have to try this with my hubs soon!!!

by Kerry on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm

4. This is such a great idea! I love it!

by Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

5. Ah the joys of living in the cold North…I too have been dreaming of my outdoor grill! These pizzas also look delicious…will have to try them 🙂

by Sunny @foryourpiesonly on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:27 pm

6. Hi! Looks delightful! So – where I live is now being hit by a white – out blizzard, impossible to grill anything – I saw them and now I am craving them, could I bake them in an oven instead? Thanks!

by Victoria on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:44 pm

7. Ooooh, what an awesome idea! I love how you use polenta as the pizza base. I’m going to have to adopt that into my kitchen!

by Jenna on Feb 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm

8. I would never have thought to use polenta as a crust. What a great idea! They look gorgeous, Tracy.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm

9. Oh my goodness… I am kind of obsessed with ordering polenta at restaurants lately (and let’s not even discuss the polenta fries I have been eating!). Have never made it at home, but I want to. This pizza is calling my name!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm

10. Aren’t you creative!! I love polenta in every form, now topped with cheese & herbs? Yes please!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm

11. Oohhh! What an terrific idea, Tracy! I love polenta. I could eat it everyday. Plus, this is a quicker (and less expensive) way to enjoy pizza, gluten-free. 🙂

by G. on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

12. What a fantastic idea – now I’m craving polenta and pizza!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm

13. Love that you broke out the used my George Foreman grill for these. I dont have a grill (and I think I donated my G.Foreman to Goodwill)…whooops!

by Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm

14. This looks so good. I love polenta but for some reason I don’t really cook with it often….I need to experiment with this!

by Aggie on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:25 pm

15. Wow does that look good! You are making me very hungry. I would never have thought to use polenta this way but I will definitely have to make it:)

by Raina on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm

16. You’re so creative Tracy! Would you believe that I’ve never eaten polenta before?! Me thinks I need to give it a try!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:03 pm

17. This is such an awesome idea. Even though it’s been warm enough to grill here, I’m afraid that if I pull it out, we’ll get hit with a blizzard – so I think I’ll griddle these inside!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:16 pm

18. I’ve been wanting to try Polenta for awhile and this looks like the perfect recipe! I might try it on the stove or under the broiler though 🙂

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:29 am

19. LOVE this idea! Can’t wait to try.

by Stacy on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

20. What a great idea! it looks fantastic!

by Mireia on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

21. What a great twist on regular ol’ pizza! I love new ways to use polenta!

by The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

22. I like polenta very ,uch, but I never thought of polenta pizza, great idea!

by Caitlin @ Cake with Love on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:29 pm

23. loving all of the new twists on pizza im seeing today!! this one is awesome!

by elizabeth @ chronic venture on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm

24. I love the idea of making the pizzas on the grill with polenta.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:55 pm

25. I haven’t always been the biggest fan of polenta, but throw some sauce and cheese on top, and I might jump on board. 😉

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:23 am

26. Oh my gosh….polenta crust! Genius!!! We have pizza and movie night every week…and while my boys love the traditional, I always like to shake things up a bit for mine. Will be trying..and loving…this!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:47 am

27. Oh my goodness….. this looks awesome! I’ve never made instant polenta though. I’ve only bought it in tubes. I’m guessing that would probably work also. 🙂 Thanks for the delicious recipe.

by STUFT Mama on Mar 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm

28. Oh my! They look yummy and the grilled polenta must task so good. I want to do them as minis and use as appetizers.

by Expedition Eat (Dina Krohne) on Mar 7, 2012 at 11:04 am

29. Wow, these look amazing. I’ll have to remember this when I want pizza at the last minute and don’t have time to make traditional pizza dough. Thanks for sharing.

by Stacy on Mar 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm