Chocolate Banana Cream Pie

Ever since Thanksgiving when I made a banana cream pie for my dad, I’ve had my mind on a version that includes chocolate since I love the chocolate-banana combo, especially in smoothies. I adapted this recipe from the one I used to make coconut cream pie. The resulting pie is luscious and creamy, and with a chocolate flavor that is complimentary rather than overpowering. You can easily dress up the pie with some chocolate curls, shredded chocolate, and sliced bananas, and you can even add white chocolate into the mix, too. This is a great pie to make during the winter when berries are out of season…although I have to say now that we’re nearing the end of February , I am definitely itching to welcome spring! Hope you enjoy the pie, and have a happy Thursday!

Adapted from here.

Roll out the pie crust to 1/8″ thick. Place in a pie dish and crimp the edges, if desired. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper on the crust and then fill the crust with pie weights, dried beans, or dried rice. Blind bake the crust for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely before filling.

In the meantime, make the filling. In a large sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.

Stir in the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Boil for one minute longer, continuing to stir. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks.

Temper the yolks with some of the cornstarch mixture. Once tempered, pour the egg mixture into the sauce pan and whisk to combine with the cornstarch mixture. Boil one minute and then remove from the heat.

Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl.

Pour half the filling over the chocolate chips and stir until the chips melt and the mixture is well-combined.

Add the vanilla to the other half of the mixture and stir to combine. Cover the bottom of the crust with the sliced bananas.

Pour the chocolate filling over the bananas, and then pour the vanilla filling over the chocolate filling.

Press plastic wrap directly to the surface of the filling and refrigerate two hours or until set. In a medium bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Once the filling has set, remove the plastic wrap from the pie and top the pie with the whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Posted by on February 23, 2012.

Tags: , ,

1. This looks fantastic! I bet it would be great with coconut too!

by Candy @ Candy Girl on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm

2. This is one of my favs :)

by Sally on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm

3. Looks delicious!! Great process pictures too, they always help :)

by Living The Sweet Life on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:36 pm

4. This looks so good! I love banana cream pie and chocolate cream pie, having them together seems like a match made in heaven.

by Laura @ WyldeThyme on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

5. This cream pie looks incredible! I have had a banana cream pie on my list of things to make for a while now….I think I need to give this one a try! Yummy! :)

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

6. This sounds awesome! I love the combination of chocolate and banana, throw in cream, woo!

by Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:21 pm

7. Cut me a slice, please!!

by Aimee @ Simple Bites on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm

8. This is beautiful! I’m going to try my hand at pie-making this spring and this one will definitely be on my list. Gorgeous photos, too!

by Ashley {Kitchen Meets Girl} on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm

9. what a wonderful layered pie, delish.

by jennifurla on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:36 am

10. So pretty, Trace! I bet straight out of the fridge this is reminiscent of a chocolate covered banana, with the added yumminess of pie crust!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

11. Oh my goodness! This looks divine! I love me some banana cream pie, and now you’ve gone and added chocolate to it?! I. die.

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Feb 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm

12. Amazing! This combination is incredible, it must be delicious!

by Mireia on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:27 pm

13. oh wow does this look good! I actually am planning to make something very similar next weekend! Bananas and chocolate just go so well together! :)

by megan @ whatmegansmaking on Feb 27, 2012 at 7:29 am

14. As someone who doesn’t have a whole lot of experience making cream pies, your step-by-step really helps and motivates me that much more to make the recipe – the visuals are very helpful! I’ll have to wait for a special occasion (someone’s birthday or something) to make this or else I would eat the whole thing myself…likely in one or two sittings. No seriously. :) I like your site and look forward to seeing more of your recipes!

by Julia {The Roasted Root} on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm

15. Ooooh yum!! What a great twist on a delicious classic :)

by Angela @ The Dancer Bakes on Feb 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm

16. I love banana cream pies, never attempted my own, nut it looks easy!

by Catalina @ Cake with Love on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:21 am

17. Oh yum!!! This pie looks sooo good! I wish I had a giant slice right now. Ok I wish I had the entire pie, haha. :)

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:59 pm

18. I adore banana cream pie and the addition of chocolate puts this pie over the edge!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm

19. What a glorious flavor combination. Now I’m craving pie!

by Barbara @ Barbara Bakes on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:24 pm

20. This looks scrumptious! What a great idea :)

by Sarah @ a dash and a pinch on Mar 16, 2012 at 9:46 am

21. Just perfect!! i Love the combination of banana and chocoloate and have been searching for a pie that combined the two. One for myself and one for a friend. Can’t wait to try this.

Love your Blog!!