I’m Back! Our Trip to San Diego

As promised, I’m back from my vacation! And, the first thing I want to do is give a huge THANK YOU to all of my lovely guest posters. Each one of their posts had me drooling and wishing I could get to my kitchen immediately to whip up all of their delicious treats! The reason I couldn’t however is because the hubby and I were in San Diego for the last three weeks – and even though we did have a tiny kitchenette in our hotel room, there was definitely no way to bake.

It was a fantastic vacation though; the break from the cold weather here in upstate NY was a very welcome one indeed. I was also excited to meet up with Marie of Meandering Eats a few times during our stay; we had so much fun together! During one of our outings, we had lunch together at Cucina Urbana, and I had the best mushroom pizza I’ve ever tasted:

With foraged mushrooms, braised leeks, and truffle oil, how can you go wrong? The atmosphere was nice too, although we didn’t stay for dessert…instead, we headed over to Venissimo Cheese shop.

Several samples and a pound or so of cheese later, we headed back to Marie’s place and made ourselves a little cheese tray with crackers and wine, which we nibbled on while we chatted. It was beyond amazing.

Oh, and while I’m on the subject of cheese…the mac & beer cheese from Stone Brewery is definitely something I need to recreate at home. The hubby and I went there for lunch one day, and while I wasn’t thrilled about the rest of the food we had there, this dish was perfection in my book.

Although there was plenty of good food to be had (fresh berries in the middle of winter is always a wonderful thing), we didn’t spend all of our free time eating (although we did spend a considerable amount of time at Jamba Juice)! The hubby and I also hiked around Torrey Pines together and took in some beautiful views:

We visited the Safari Park:

We took a trip to LA and the surrounding areas, and visited the canals at Venice Beach:

As well as the iconic Santa Monica pier:

We even ducked into a little restaurant on Hollywood for dinner, on route to the Chinese Theatre:

Those are the hand and foot (and wand) prints of the main cast of Harry Potter, in case you were wondering…I just had to snap a photo for my sister, who is a huge Harry Potter fan!

We also toured the USS Midway, a retired aircraft carrier. The view from the Island was pretty sweet:

And I couldn’t help but take a photo (on my phone, hence the bad quality) of a brownie recipe they had sitting in one of the mess halls, which literally feeds an army. 5 1/4 pounds sugar anyone? Also, prune purée is an interesting addition…I might actually have to try that.

All in all, we had a great time…and I’m so thankful for the hospitality of such a wonderful food blogging community! Now that we’re back home and getting back into the swing of things, I’m looking forward to getting back into the kitchen – and so is my kitchen buddy, who definitely missed us while we were gone – so stay tuned for more recipes soon!

25 Responses to “I’m Back! Our Trip to San Diego”

1. 1 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 11:58 am

Love all of your photos… Makes me want to hop on a plane and head West!

And, glad to see you’re home safe and sound with your doggy again. He’s such a cutie :)

2. 2 Tanya Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Sounds like a great time… I got a kick out of the brownie recipe- it’s like the ones we use for work! Too funny, although we don’t order prune puree anymore (we used to, but it was called prune whip)

3. 3 Connie Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Looks like you had a wonderful trip! I find the “large quantity” recipes to be a kick, as well. I think maybe prune puree is added to keep brownies moist…or add fiber?

4. 4 Cora Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed our fine city! It’s amazing the variety there is here in Southern Cal!

5. 5 Flavia Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Great pictures Tracy! Peter and I traveled to San Diego last summer and had such a wonderful time. We also toured the USS Midway–what an incredible place! Coronado Island had to be my favorite place of all–it’s so beautiful and I loved seeing a picture of the bridge in your post. I’m sure Riley missed you so much–he’s gotten so big and is so beautiful! Wish we lived closer so he and Sienna could play together. :) Welcome back!

6. 6 Jenna Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I’m glad you had such a great time! But of course I’m also glad you’re back . . . =) And I’m already looking forward to your recreation of that mac and cheese dish, FYI.

7. 7 Sunny @foryourpiesonly Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:32 pm

What a wonderful trip! I love visiting Cali in midwinter. :)

8. 8 Rebecca Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:36 pm

You had me at mushroom pizza! Ohh… and mac and cheese! And cheese tray! Sounds like a great trip! Your kitchen buddy looks just like my sister’s dog! CUTE!

9. 9 Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:42 pm

The brownie recipe makes me wonder how big the mixer is to hold all those ingredients.

Thanks for sharing bits of your trip.

10. 10 stephchows Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Love using prune puree in cookies and brownies!! Makes them so nice and moist! Welcome home!!!!!! I have your cowl done, just let me know when and where we’re meeting :)

11. 11 Sarah Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Sounds like a wonderful trip! As a huge Harry Potter fan, I am so jealous that you saw their wand and hand prints!

12. 12 Becca- Cookie Jar Treats Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 2:21 pm

It looks like you had a wonderful trip. I would have been so excited to see the hand and foot prints of the little Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliff, and Rupert Grint :P

13. 13 Erica Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Looks like you had an awesome trip! On a less positive note, is it just me, or does Daniel Radcliffe’s signature (especially the ‘D’ in Daniel) make you want to slap him silly?!?

14. 14 Marie Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 2:33 pm

So glad we had chances to spend some time together… it was great to see you! Your pictures are incredible! The shot of Santa Monica pier is postcard-perfect. Give your pup a pat for me!

15. 15 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Glad you had such a wonderful time! But glad you’re back. :)

16. 16 E Says:
    February 21st, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Great photos, thanks for sharing!
    And, yes, please recreate the beer mac and cheese, it sounds so delicious!

17. 17 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 5:16 am

Next time you head out this way let me know, we could have met up when you were in town!

18. 18 Catalina @ Cake with Love Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 11:22 am

Mushrooms pizza with truffle oil is a pairing made in heaven, it makes my heart sing :)

19. 19 Mireia Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Glad you had fun and that you’re back!!!!

20. 20 Faye Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Looks like you had an amazing time! My friend Yvonne and I (from LiveBakeLove) both live in San Diego so it’s always great to hear such great feedback about the city we love.

21. 21 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Sounds like you had an amazing trip, Tracy! Wonderful pictures. I’m sure you’re happy to be home though! I love to travel but at the end of the day, there’s nothing better than your own space… Thanks for sharing!

22. 22 Traci Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 1:51 pm

That mac and cheese looks incredible! I love going to San Diego. Always beautiful out there!

23. 23 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 1:59 pm

It looks as though you had an amazing vacation! All of that “cheese” talk is making me salivate.

24. 24 Ashley {Kitchen Meets Girl} Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 7:46 pm

It looks like you had a fabulous vacation, Tracy–but I’m also so glad you’re back! =)

25. 25 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    February 24th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Didn’t know you were vacationing while everyone was pitching in here! I dream of vacationing in southern California! I’ve been to Santa Monica, but I’d love to explore the whole area.