Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

As I mentioned before, I’m taking a little vacation from blogging – don’t worry, I’ll be back! – but in the meantime, some of my favorite bloggers are stepping in to take the reins while I’m away. Today Steph from Steph Chows is here, a local blogger and also a real-life friend! We share many of the same hobbies as well – “grandma hobbies” as we like to call them, such as sewing and crafts. Steph’s healthy kitchen creations always inspire me to experiment, in particular her large collection of delicious muffin recipes. Thank you Steph for guest posting today!

Hi there awesome Sugarcrafter readers! I’m excited to be here today to introduce you to some of my delicious pumpkin chocolate chip cookies! I love these things, and they are filled with whole grains, very little butter, and lots of good-for-you fiber (don’t worry, they don’t taste like cardboard)! The whole premise of my blog is healthy eating that tastes good, so I won’t bring you down some scary, not tasty path.

Funny side note: As I was thinking up a recipe to share with you all today, I realized that a LOT of the recipes on my “to-make” list involve peanut butter…eek! So, as you might have guessed, I decided not to share one of those today! I mean, that wouldn’t make me a very good guest to bring something the host is allergic to, now would it?

Okay, on to the recipe! These are a soft cookie due to the pumpkin, but they have a nice crisp edge to them straight out of the oven. Once they sit for a while though, they turn into pure delicious soft goodness.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl whisk together the wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and chocolate chips. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, sugar or splenda, and brown sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then stir in the pumpkin and vanilla.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until incorporated. Place heaping tablespoonfuls of the batter on to a greased cookie sheet or a silicon baking mat. With wet fingers, gently press down the balls to flatten them out. Bake about 15-17 minutes (or until lightly crisped on top).

And the final step…CHOW!!!

Thanks for having me Tracy, and thanks so much to your readers for putting up with me! Do you think you’ll give these cookies a try? Or nahhh, you eat healthy but if you want a cookie, you’re going to eat a real cookie? Personally I like doing both, everything in moderation as my Nana use to say!

Posted by on February 6, 2012.

Tags: , ,

1. Those are some great-looking cookies, Steph! I’m not a huge baking person–but I love eating what others bake (and reading about what bloggers bake, of course)! So maybe I’ll slip this recipe to my husband . . . =)

by Jenna on Feb 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm

2. Anything that makes a cookie healthier (and thus gives me more excuses to eat ’em) is fine with me!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

3. You had me at chocolate and pumpkin. Going to have to make these on my day off.

Any caveats of making these with homemade puree versus canned puree? I know canned is thicker oftentimes but its all I’ve got left.

by Angela Watts on Feb 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm

4. These look wonderful–I love pumpkin any time of the year! And anything that makes a cookie a bit “healthier” (as in, allows me to eat two instead of just one) is a winner in my book!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Feb 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

5. I’m all over these for my dad – a diabetic. These are definitely a cookie he’d be allowed. The only change I might make is to swap in white chocolate chips. I’m really weird, and just don’t dig milk chocolate and pumpkin together. But white chocolate? Whoa baby!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Feb 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm

6. Psh, when I see a cookie, and it looks good, I devour it, and these cookies look really yummy! Pumkin cookies are turely delicous and they keep for the longest time ever, those and molasses cookies. Maybe it’s the added moisture or something. Either way, I’d give these cookies a shot 😀

by Becca- Cookie Jar Treats on Feb 6, 2012 at 8:26 pm

7. Thank so much everyone! I’m so glad you liked these! I love healthing things up, but man oh man we gotta keep the tasty in there!!

Angela, to answer your question about homemade pumpkin puree, I would just try using a little less to get the right consistency, maybe use 3/4 of a cup to start and if it’s looking super thick and hard to stir add in a little more 1 Tbs at a time!

by stephchows on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:45 am

8. If i am allergic to dairy, what would be a good substitute for the butter?

by sarah on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:07 pm

9. Sarah- smart balance light is dairy free and would work great in these!

by stephchows on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:53 pm

10. I love pumpkin and chocolate together… I think it’s time for me to go pull some pumpkin puree from my stockpile in the freezer so that I can make some of these!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Feb 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

11. Hi, I just wanted to take a few min. to tell you I really enjoy your site. Believe it or not I am very new to the computer and the internet, so I’m still learning how things work. I was looking at some different sites about a week ago, and ran across a recipe for a chicken and cresent roll,cream cheese, and a few other things, that make a light flaky main dish,however the woman had made it in smaller proportions to serve as an appetizer (maybe superbowl I’m not sure). I was called away and did not get to print the recipe, I have been trying to find it ever since with no luck, then I thought maybe it was one of the recipes that your fellow bloggers posted for you while you were gone, anyway it’s to late to make this long story short! but I was hoping maybe you could help? I found your site from a few other sites that I connected with one after another. I have already checked those sites but couldn’t find it, so I’m really hoping it was on you site. Thanks for your time and help, I really enjoy your site and recipes. – Trish 2/22/2012

by Trish on Feb 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm

12. Made these and we liked them. Although, they still made me feel sick when I ate too many;) Guess I’ll have to learn some self-discipline. Made about 24. They were kinda’ cakey..

by Anna S. on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:50 pm