Buffalo Chicken Pot Pies

Even though I’m taking a little vacation from blogging for the next few weeks, I had to share a recipe today that I’ve fallen in love with, just in time for your Super Bowl festivities this weekend. I’m sure by now you’ve noticed that I love all things buffalo chicken, and these hot and spicy pot pies I created in order to have something a little heartier around the table on game day are no exception. I’ve also had the wonderful opportunity this year to participate in an all-girl food blogger fantasy football league, which consisted of Michelle from Brown Eyed Baker (league champion!), Tracey from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures (second place!) Dara from Cookin’ Canuck (third!), Marie from Meandering Eats, Elle from Elle’s New England Kitchen, Jen from My Kitchen Addiction, and Jackie from The Spicy Lens, and it was hands-down the most fun fantasy league I’ve ever been in. Each of them also have some great Super Bowl recipes, so please check out their sties as well as the links below! Have a great weekend, and enjoy the game!

For the pie crust:

• 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup bleu cheese
  • 1/2 cup gouda cheese
  • 1/2 cup hot sauce
  • 1 Tbsp flour

To make the pie crust, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Blend in the shortening and butter with a pastry blender.

Add the ice water and knead just until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into a ball and then wrap it in plastic wrap. Allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 2 days.

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, cook the chicken until no longer pink in the center.

Remove the chicken to a paper towel, and then add the celery and onion to the pan. Saute just until tender.

Remove the vegetables from the pan to a paper towel, then add the hot sauce and flour to the pan. Cook until the sauce thickens, 3-5 minutes.

Mix together the sauce, chicken, vegetables, and cheeses in a large bowl until well-combined.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and transfer the filling to the pans (I used 5″ foil pot pie pans)

Roll out the crust to cover the filling and place it over the top. Cut slits to allow steam to escape.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Makes three to four 5″ individual pot pies, or one 9″ regular pot pie.

17 Responses to “Buffalo Chicken Pot Pies”

1. 1 lIndsay Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Yum!!!

2. 2 Jenna Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Whoa! These are rocking my imagination.

3. 3 Cookin' Canuck Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 12:14 pm

It was such fun to be a part of the Fantasy Football league with all of you! I can’t wait until next year. In the meantime, I need to make one of these potpies because they look too darn good to resist.

4. 4 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 12:28 pm

The fantasy football league was so much fun… I’m already looking forward to next year! Love the look of these pot pies… Darron is a huge fan of buffalo chicken anything, so I know he’d absolutely love them!

5. 5 Tracey Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I absolutely love this idea Tracy! I made a buffalo chicken treat too, it’s such a universally loved treat :)

The fantasy football was a blast, hope we get to do it again next year!

6. 6 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Super cute idea! And no doubt, delicious too!

7. 7 Elizabeth @ Chronic Venture Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 4:51 pm

ummmm YES!

8. 8 Casey@Good. Food. Stories. Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 8:14 pm

You are now my husband’s favorite person for creating this recipe.

9. 9 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Yes! This is fantastic. I’ve been dreaming up so many possibilities for buffalo items and this one didn’t even dawn on me. Definitely running this idea by hubs sometime. :)

10. 10 Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 11:52 pm

These look great! My hubby’s fave dish is chicken pot pie, but I’ve never thought of doing a buffalo chicken version. We will try this out, for sure.

11. 11 Courtney Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Oh my, this is dangerous for me.. I’m on a pot pie kick during this pregnancy and this would be a huge favorite :)

12. 12 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 1:48 pm

These pies are awesome! I love buffalo chicken. I also love that you girls had your own fantasy football league!

13. 13 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:42 pm

You girls are so fun! These pot pies look perfect for the cold, snowy weather we’ve been having. Yum!

14. 14 Hayley Says:
    February 6th, 2012 at 10:34 am

I LOVE!! chicken pot pie and my boyfriend LOVES!! anything buffalo chicken. I’m pretty sure that this will be the perfect marriage of our favorite foods and possibly of us; I’ll let you know how that pans out after we lick our bowls clean. Thank you!

15. 15 shelly (cookies and cups) Says:
    February 9th, 2012 at 8:49 am

Fun football league!
    These pot pies are the perfect football food :)

16. 16 Wende Rickett/The Rickett Chronicles Says:
    February 22nd, 2012 at 7:04 am

We love anything buffalo chicken! I can’t wait to try this recipe. I shared your recipe on my Must Try Tuesday blog post this week.

I also pinned it.

Thanks!

Wende
    The Rickett Chronicles

17. 17 Sam Says:
    June 9th, 2013 at 11:20 am

Just made this recipe and loved it! We made a few changes. I ended up adding about a cup of cauliflower cut up into small pieces, which was a fantastic addition. It helped cut down on the meatiness of the dish. I ended up using 3/4 cup of hot sauce with 3 Tbsp of flour to make sure everything was well covered. And instead of making 4 individual, I just made 1 large pot pie, and the proportions were perfect. Thanks for the recipe!