Clementine Sugar Cookies

I’ve been on a bit of a citrus kick this week – perhaps it’s the lack of sunshine around here? So when the few remaining clementines sitting on our counter needed to be used up before going bad, I knew exactly what to do with them. I made these lemon sugar cookies earlier this year and fell in love with them, so I tinkered with the recipe a bit more to create these cookies. They have a light, delicate flavor due to the fact that clementines are sweeter and have less acid than lemons or oranges. I love that the cookies are easily frozen as well, once rolled into balls and then in sugar, and can be baked right out of the freezer as long as you add a few more minutes on to the baking time. These bright, soft and chewy cookies are sure to bring you some cheer in the middle of a dreary winter. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

Recipe adapted from here and here.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, zest, vanilla extract, and juice.

Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until well-combined.

Roll dough into 1? balls and then roll in granulated sugar. Place on the baking sheet about 1 1/2? apart.

Bake 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Let sit on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Posted by on January 26, 2012.

Tags:

1. I will have to try these with Clementines! Yum!

by Maria on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:20 am

2. These sound SO good!

by Trish on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:22 am

3. They are so easy to make but look like the definitely do not skimp on flavor. Love them!

by Eliana on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:31 am

4. How fantastic! We have a few pounds of clementines on the counter – I think some cookies may be in order today. 🙂

by Kathy - Panini Happy on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

5. Citrus does feel like sunshine in the mouth–your cookies look divine!

by Jenna on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

6. These look perfectly perfect!!

by Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:14 pm

7. Oh, I love this idea! Clementines are so bright and fresh, especially in wintry times like these–having a way to pack that flavor into a cookie sounds fantastic. 🙂

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm

8. Mmmm! I can almost smell them. I love clementines and bet their flavor shines through nicely in this cookie. I like your tip about freezing. I have never tried to freeze cookies before baking them but will definitely have to try it:)

by Raina on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm

9. These look delicious! I always have a crate of clementines around in the winter, but I’ve never incorporated them into dessert!

by Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:34 pm

10. Ok, these were perfect. As soon as I saw them, I made them. I’m not usually so impulsive, but these were just what we needed today. Thank you!

by Lori on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:56 pm

11. These look so light and simply gorgeous! I’ve never thought to use clementines, but what a great idea! YUM.

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Jan 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm

12. These look awesome and remind me of a creamsicle cookie I make!!!

by Blog is the New Black on Jan 26, 2012 at 9:47 pm

13. I love the torch !

by dad on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm

14. What a great idea! I know they taste delicious!

by Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch on Jan 27, 2012 at 9:37 am

15. OOOh! love orange! sounds so good!

by laura tillinghast on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:26 am

16. Mmmm, I bet these are fantastic!

by Aimee @ ShugarySweets on Jan 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm

17. I don’t have orange extract on hand, I have lemon though, do you think that would overpower the clemetines too much?

by Mandie on Jan 28, 2012 at 3:41 am

18. I cannot stop eating these, and that never happens to me. The dough is impeccable, oh heavens!

by Ellen on Jan 29, 2012 at 2:55 pm

19. I bet these are amazing! I could eat about 25 right now 🙂

by shelly (cookies and cups) on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm

20. I’m not usually moved to bake cookies of any sort, but these are really calling my name. They look gorgeous and the idea of the heavenly scent of clementines in my kitchen makes me think I just have to do this. Also, no rolling of cookie dough and using cookie cutters makes this seem really do-able. Thank you!

by Auria on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:11 pm

21. I had the most beautiful bag of clementines on my counter and have been baking for days. On a whim I searched clementine cookies and found this recipe. The first pan just came out of the oven and the look and smell wonderful! Thank you so much for posting this!!

by April on Dec 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm

22. Hi! These look divine! I’m going to try these with coconut butter instead of regular butter. Hold thumbs for me this works.

by CocoPalmTree on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:09 am