Meyer Lemon and Yogurt Meringue Tarts

This past weekend I had a little fun in the kitchen. My brother-in-law and his wife gave me some fun kitchen tools for Christmas, including these lovely quiche dishes and my personal favorite, a kitchen torch. I’ve been waiting for things to finally settle down after the holidays so that I could take them out for a spin, and over the weekend I had my chance. With all my favorite citrus in season right now, I really wanted to make a pie…but instead of a traditional lemon meringue pie with a pastry crust, I went a lighter route using a cookie crumb crust and a delightful, lemony yogurt filling. When I took my first bite of the finished product, I was surprised at how much it tasted like cheesecake even though there’s no cream cheese involved. Also, while I used a torch to brown the tops, you can easily throw yours in the oven for a few minutes if you don’t have one. I hope you’ll give these a try!

For the crust:

For the meringue:

• 3 egg whites
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup cold water

To make the crust, stir together the cookie crumbs and melted butter until moist.

Press into the dishes (mine are 5″ quiche dishes). Place the dishes in the freezer to let the crust firm up a bit while you’re making the filling.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the yogurt and sugar until well-combined. Beat in the eggs and then the lemon juice and zest.

Pour the filling into the crusts.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until the centers are set. Let cool to room temperature, and then chill in the refrigerator.

In the meantime, make the meringue. If you’ll be using your oven to brown the meringue, preheat it to 350 degrees. In a small sauce pan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water.

Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, continuing to stir, and then remove it from the heat. Place the mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar and cornstarch mixture until stiff peaks form.

Pipe the meringue on to the cooled tarts.

Bake 10-15 minutes to brown the meringue, or use a kitchen torch to brown the tops.

25 Responses to “Meyer Lemon and Yogurt Meringue Tarts”

1. 1 Souffle Bombay (Colleen) Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 11:34 am

I am all about lemon desserts!! These look delectable!

2. 2 Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 11:46 am

Oh my, these look amazing–so light and creamy! And I love them in the little quiche dishes for instant portion control. :-) Lovely!

3. 3 Cookbook Queen Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 11:48 am

Lemon Meringue pie is my all time favorite!! This looks perfect. Love the torch!

4. 4 Aimee @ ShugarySweets Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 11:53 am

Oh my gosh, this looks awesome! I just got a torch and haven’t used it yet….

5. 5 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had lemon meringue anything but these look delicious! I sadly don’t have an oven torch so I’m jealous of your kitchen fun. :)

6. 6 Eliana Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Nothing but great things happen when i whip out my kitchen torch. These beautiful tarts looks like the perfect reason for me to dust it off right now.

7. 7 Debbie Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

This is definitely going on my list of things to make during my Meyer lemon obsession.

8. 8 Sunny @foryourpiesonly Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I had been dying for lemon meringue and I gave into the craving this weekend. These look way delicious too!

9. 9 Jenna Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Divine!! Seriously. I think I need these tarts for my life to be complete.

10. 10 Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

The wheels in my head are already turning to modify the recipe to use 4 oz canning jars.

11. 11 Aimee @ Simple Bites Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Wow, these have me seriously puckering. Beautiful, Tracy!

12. 12 Christa Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Just found your blog. wow, have I been missing out! your pictures and desserts are gorgeous!!! these lemon yogurt tarts look divine.
    xo,
    mini baker

13. 13 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 7:06 pm

These look seriously amazing! I received a kitchen torch as a gift a while back and have only used it once to make crème brulee, but I think I need to bust it out again asap to make these sweet little things! Not to mention that I am a lemon freak!

14. 14 Jamie | My Baking Addiction Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I am utterly obsessed with my kitchen torch – you are going to have so much fun with yours! I’m really digging the use of yogurt in this recipe – sounds fantastic!

15. 15 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Oh wow – I want a kitchen torch! That looks like so much fun. I swear, I can never find Meyer lemons – do they have them at Wegmans?

16. 16 Jessica @ How Sweet Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 11:40 pm

tarts mean i can eat 3 or 4 of these and be good, right? sweet!

17. 17 Tracy Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 12:17 am

Liz – Yes they do have them at Wegmans! Sometimes it depends on the Wegmans though, so if you can’t find them at yours, try a different one!

18. 18 Becca Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 12:29 am

I like eating lemon bars during the summer, and adding that little kick of cream cheese, even if wasn’t intended, sounds nice.

19. 19 laura tillinghast Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 1:34 am

These look amazing! lemon is one of my favorite dessert flavors for spring! Thanks for sharing!

20. 20 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 5:24 am

Oh fun! I’ve always wanted a little kitchen torch like that to make meringue toppings and creme brulee.

21. 21 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 10:05 am

Lemon meringue pie is one of my favorites… These individual tarts look amazing!

And, I’m pretty sure I got the exact same kitchen torch for Christmas! I recognize it in the photo. Just this weekend I took it for a test drive with some creme brulee :)

22. 22 Elizabeth @ Chronic Venture Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 11:40 am

mmm those look so delicious and cute!

23. 23 Life of a Modern Housewife Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Oh my gosh….these look and sound amazing!!! I must try these!!!

24. 24 Dina Krohne Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Now I know what I want for Valentine’s Day: a kitchen torch! I have this little (BIG!) Greek yogurt addiction right now so I can’t wait to try making these. And I love little individual serve desserts, it’s this perfect little thing you don’t have to share.

25. 25 Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Perfect timing … I’ve got a loaded Meyer Lemon tree just waiting to be picked. Thank you for the recipe!