Lentil Soup

Even though it’s raining outside instead of snowing, it’s still perfect weather for soup. I didn’t realize just how easy it is to make soup from scratch until last fall, and now I can’t get enough of it. If you can chop things up and throw them in a pot, and have time to let them simmer while you’re doing other things around the house, then you can make soup. I like to refer to Kate’s post over on Aimée’s blog on how to make soup from scratch without following a recipe; I find it so much fun to experiment with new flavors and also to try and recreate some of my favorite restaurant soups at home. I like to serve many of my soups with cheddar and parsley biscuits as well, mostly because soup alone doesn’t quite fill up the hubby, but also because I love them too and because they always seem to go well with whatever we’re having. Happy soup making!

In a dutch oven or a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic, and sauté until the onion is tender and the garlic is light brown in color.

Add in the carrot, celery, and potatoes. Continue cooking until the vegetables soften, about 5-7 minutes.

Stir in the lentils, vegetable broth, water, tomatoes, thyme, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are fully cooked.

Posted by on January 12, 2012.

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. I’m totally wishing I had seen this about an hour ago. I would have made it for dinner! Instead, I pulled something out of the freezer. Oh well, I am saving this recipe for another night. Looks perfect!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

2. Mmm, I love lentils–my host mom made them all the time when I lived in Spain and it was one of my favorite lunches. Can’t wait to make this!

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm

3. Yum. I made something similar a couple nights ago, but it had ground beef and barley and a can of diced tomatoes. I threw added curry spices and a can of coconut milk. It was sweet, spicy, creamy and delicious!

by Sarah on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:19 pm

4. This soup looks fabulous–we’re finally getting COLD winter weather here, so I could definitely use a hearty bowl of this!

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm

5. Oh, it’s definitely soup weather. And you’re right, you gotta have a biscuit or bread with your soup to make it a perfect winter meal.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm

6. Delicious! This soup sounds lovely!

by Katrina on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:13 pm

7. I’m intrigued by the “how to make soup from scratch without a recipe” post (which I’ll be checking out in a minute or two). And lentils are always a favorite in our house–in fact, they’re on the menu for next Tuesday! Your soup looks mighty tasty.

by Jenna on Jan 13, 2012 at 11:56 am

8. A nice hearty lentil soup like this is just the thing to warm you up on a chilly day. I could eat this for lunch every day.

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Jan 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm

9. MMMM I haven’t made lentils in awhile… might need to!! And guess waht!? You won the cowl giveaway!!! Let me know what color and then we’ll have to get together for lunch or a baking date so I can give it to you 🙂

by stephchows on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

10. This soup has delicious and comfort written all over it. Just perfect for this time of year.

by Eliana on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:08 am