Nutella Rice Krispie Bars

How is your New Year going? So far, mine is moving along a bit faster than I expected. Usually in my neck of the woods the snow and cold have settled in by now, which seems to slow things down and make us upstate New Yorkers want to hibernate as much as possible. Instead, the weather has been crazy warm for this time of the year and I’ve been inspired to be extra productive, at least in the morning. By the time the afternoon comes though, I find my motivation waning, and I’ve decided that what I need is a little afternoon pick-me-up. You know, when it’s 2:30 in the afternoon and your energy level drops to about zero, and your motivation for doing anything suddenly plummets? I originally created these bars a few weeks ago to bring for dessert at a fun girl’s night, but I also found that when cut into halves or thirds, they make a light, perfect afternoon snack for when my energy levels are low and I need a little something to make it through to dinner time. Everyone at my girl’s night was asking me for the recipe, so I can definitely say they were a hit. Plus, since I’m slightly obsessed with nutella, I can’t get enough of them. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

In a small, microwave-safe bowl, heat the nutella for 30 seconds, until warm and somewhat runny. In a larger microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter and marshmallows 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time, until melted and smooth.

Stir in the nutella.

Stir in the rice krispies until they are well-coated with the nutella mixture.

With greased hands, press the mixture into a greased 8×8″ baking dish.

Fold the mixture in half over on top of itself (or, to double the recipe, simply make another layer as above and place it on the top of the first layer).

Drizzle with the melted chocolate.

Refrigerate until the drizzled chocolate has set, and then cut into bars.

Posted by on January 10, 2012.

1. Those look amazing! I’ll definitely have to try them myself.

by Nicola on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

2. What a perfect afternoon snack! Chocolate motivates me to do just about anything! =)

by Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

3. Oh these are totally perfect. Love it!! 🙂

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:53 am

4. i like cutting them into bars! seems kind of like a biscotti 🙂

by Alexis @ There She Goes on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:54 am

5. I could use some of these right now and they seem so easy to make.Thanks for sharing.

by Kathia on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

6. I love your nutella obsession, because it produces such wonderful recipes!

by Jenna on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

7. I love nutella and RKBars are some of my fave treats…match made in heaven!

by Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

8. So…next time I’m wandering through the grocery store and I pass the jars of Nutella and contemplate tossing a jar into my basket, I’m going to DO IT. So I can make these sweet treats – yum!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Jan 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

9. Um you KNOW I love my Nutella! 😉

by Blog is the New Black on Jan 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

10. Another Nutella recipe! Hurray! This bar makes me so happy. I love how you stacked one on top of the other. Lovely!

by Katrina on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

11. Easy and delicious looking. I’ll need some of these in my snack bag 🙂

by Sunny @foryourpiesonly on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm

12. Oh wow- this is genius! I used to make pans of Rice Krispie Treats after school and eat the whole thing before my mom got home. I might do the same with these.

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm

13. Ohh, I love the biscotti-style cut of these – making rice krispie treats classy 🙂 It’s funny, just the other day I was like, “I wonder if anyone has ever made Nutella rice krispie treats.” I mean to Google it but forgot – but no Googling needed now! These look and sound incredible.

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Jan 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

14. Oh my, these look scrumptious!

by Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch on Jan 10, 2012 at 9:19 pm

15. These look like little biscottis; so adorable 🙂

by Becca- Cookie Jar Treats on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm

16. Oh my gosh, finally someone that shares my Nutella obsession! I NEED to make these krispie bars!

by Erika - The Teenage Taste on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:09 am

17. REALLY? Nutella Rice Krispie Bars — it may not get any better. Delicious photos!

by Maria of Culture-ist on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm

18. What a great treat!

by Maria on Jan 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm

19. I am a Nutella freak. It is the best thing ever invented. Your recipe looks scrumptious! Come visit us. We have a great low fat crockpot recipe this week and tomorrow, roasted veges with grade seed oil. Yum.

by carolinaheartstrings on Jan 11, 2012 at 10:56 pm

20. Yum!! I love Nutella in rice krispy bars… One of my favorites! These ones look delish.

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm

21. This is genius – pure, evil genius!

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm

22. these remind me of biscotti! yummy nutella rice crispy treat biscotti!! YUM!!!

by stephchows on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

23. First of all, these obvs sound amazing. In college we used to make versions of fluffernutters with nutella instead of peanut butter…so anything that’s nutella + marshmallows works for me.
    Second, I love that how you cut these! Such a simple little thing, but it really makes them stand out!

by Hannah at FleurDeLicious on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:01 pm

24. Oh man! As if rice krispie treats aren’t amazing enough on their own you just had to add Nutella and take them over the top. Incredible!!!!

by Eliana on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:13 am

25. Thank you for sharing! Made this for my family tonight and it was a HIT!!! You can’t just have one!

by LitashaB on Feb 1, 2012 at 6:16 am

26. Oh holy heck I’m in hazelnut heaven!! This is so worth all of my “H” alliterations 🙂 ~Megan

by Megan @ Country Cleaver on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm