Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup

First, I just wanted to thank you for your comments on my last post – I’ve really enjoyed reading about all your food-related goals for the year! It’s exciting to see that many of us have similar ones, and I’m looking forward to hearing about all your successes. Here’s to a prosperous and fruitful new year meeting our goals!

Now that the bustle of the holiday season is over and we’re left to cozy up and settle in for the winter, I’ve been making many a pot of soup around here for dinner. This is one of my new favorites – it’s hearty and satisfying, quick enough for a weeknight meal, and perfect served piping hot on a cold day. Serve it with biscuits as well if you’re extra hungry…either way, make it this week and stay warm!

In a dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add in the garlic and sausage and cook for another 2 minutes.

Add in the rosemary, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and kale. Sauté about 3 minutes longer or until the kale begins to wilt.

Add in the potatoes, beans, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and let simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls.

Posted by on January 5, 2012.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: dinner, lunch

1. This looks so cozy! I love making soups when the weather gets this cold. And this one doesn’t look crazy hard, which is a plus for a weeknight meal. :)

by Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on Jan 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

2. This looks great for these sometimes bleak post-holiday months. I love your savory recipes!

by Jenna on Jan 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm

3. Yum, this looks excellent! I am loving the use of kale in soups, as it still maintains its oomph (unlike spinach). What a great weeknight winter meal!

by Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on Jan 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

4. Loving this soup, Tracy. Exactly the sort of comforting food I need right now.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Jan 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

5. I am LOVING all the soup recipes lately. This looks so comforting and good!!

by Cookbook Queen on Jan 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

6. I am in such a soup state of mind right now! I’m thinking this will make it to Sunday’s dinner table.

by Jamie | My Baking Addiction on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm

7. Mmmm…this soup look fabulous! So perfect on a cold snowy evening! :)

by Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:40 am

8. I have never used kale in soup before…and this sounds so delicious! Will definitely try it!

Happy New Year, Tracy!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

9. The soup looks great. Here is a little twist on your version..a Tuscan Bean Stew…no sausage and instead of potato, I use diced tomatoes. This is more of a stew then a soup and was originally from Cook’s Illustrated. I think I going to try and marry the two recipes (add your sausage and potatoes) and see how it comes out…bet it will be great!

by Tom Wallick on Jan 7, 2012 at 1:03 am

10. This looks so very, very comforting!!! I’ve not used kale in a soup before, but can’t wait to give it a try!

by Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch on Jan 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

11. Sausage, kale, and white beans are such a perfect trio, aren’t they? Love the look of this soup!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm

12. Found this on Pinterest and made this last night and it was delicious! I only had to use 1 tbsp of olive oil (nonstick pot) and used red skin potatoes instead of the Idaho, but followed the rest as listed. I will make it again!

by Ann on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm

13. Okay, I have now made this no less than 4 times since finding it on Pinterest a month ago…my husband loves it! I tried it once with Aidelle’s chicken sausage and didn’t care for it. For those that are concerned about being all natural/no nitrites, Trader Joe’s has an excellent turkey kielbasa and their low sodium vegetable broth is the lowest I’ve ever seen – and TJ’s is very cheap!

by Ann on Feb 25, 2012 at 7:53 pm

14. This is so yummy. You HAVE to make the biscuits for that extra deliciousness.

by Ellen on Dec 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

15. This is delicious and a new family favorite!

by Ellen on Feb 24, 2013 at 10:30 am