Black-Eyed Pea Salsa

Black-eyed Pea Salsa - 5

I hope you all had a wonderful and happy Christmas! We did indeed; it was great to catch up with family and play games, share food, and simply enjoy one another’s company. I think my favorite part of our Christmas gathering was making homemade pierogi for Christmas dinner – just about everyone had their hands in the dough at some point, so you know the pierogi were made with love! Though the fun is over now and we’re back home and settling into our normal routines, I’m also looking forward to the new year with anticipation. We’ll be having a small gathering with a few of our close friends on New Year’s Eve, and I’m really looking forward to it. Also, since I read that eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s is supposed to bring good luck and prosperity, I thought it would be fun to throw together this simple salsa, which is made even simpler by using canned black-eyed peas rather than dry. I hope you’ll give it a try for your New Year’s celebration, too!

For the dressing:

If you’re using dry beans, prepare them according to package directions. I used Goya brand, and the instructions are to either add 3-4 cups hot water for every 1/2 pound of dry beans and boil for 2 minutes, and then set aside for 1 hour (which is what I did), or to let them stand in 3-4 cups cold water overnight. If you are using canned black-eyed peas, simply drain and rinse them.

Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup - 1

Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup - 2

In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomato, peppers, and onion.

Black-eyed Pea Salsa - 2

In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.

Black-eyed Pea Salsa - 1

Stir the black-eyed peas into the vegetable mixture and then pour on the dressing. Mix until well-combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving to develop the flavor of the salsa.

Black-eyed Pea Salsa - 3

Serve with tortilla chips.

Black-eyed Pea Salsa - 4

Posted by on December 29, 2011.

Categories: appetizers

1. Love this salsa! Happy New Year!

by Maria on Dec 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

2. Looks pretty yummy to me! Happy New Year, Tracy. So long, 2011! Won’t miss ya. Here’s to a brilliant 2012.

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Dec 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm

3. I will definitely try this for New Year’s. Thanks for the recipe and keep that snow falling. It’s GREAT!!!

by Always Wright on Dec 29, 2011 at 4:40 pm

4. Fantastic salsa! Love trying new dishes.

by Maris (In Good Taste) on Dec 29, 2011 at 8:41 pm

5. That looks fantastic. Perfect to ring in a lucky New Year! Hope yours is happy and healthy.

by carolinaheartstrings on Dec 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm

6. I LOVE black eyed peas and your black eyed pea salsa sounds and looks incredible! Love love love this recipe! 🙂

by Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels on Dec 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm

7. I can use a little extra good luck insurance for the New Year so black-eyed peas it is! Happy New Year!!

by Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on Dec 30, 2011 at 6:43 pm

8. Looks good! If using canned peas, how many can would you use?

by Janice on Dec 31, 2011 at 1:42 pm

9. Janice – I’d use two cans, since I used one this morning to make a half batch. Hope that helps! 🙂

by Tracy on Dec 31, 2011 at 2:07 pm

10. Ahh, I love this! I’ve heard that black eyed peas are a big NYE thing… wish I had seen this recipe sooner, I’ve had made it. Maybe I will just make it tomorrow… black eyed peas on January 1st must count for something, right? Happy New Year!

by Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) on Dec 31, 2011 at 9:46 pm

11. YES to homemade pierogi! And to good luck from the black-eyed peas… here’s to an amazing 2012!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Jan 2, 2012 at 8:32 pm

12. Until recently, I had never heard that eating black eyed peas was good luck for the New Year. Interesting! I should have made some… Around here, we have pork and sauerkraut… I cheated and just made brats in sauerkraut. 🙂

Anyway… I need to make some of this salsa. It’s time to get rid of the cookies and have some healthier snacks on hand!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:17 pm

13. Oh, that looks really good! I really like chunky salsas with beans and corn in them. I have an old stand-by that I make in the summer with red onions, black beans, fresh tomatoes, and corn, seasoned with lemon or lime juice and salt.

by Oldfangled on Jan 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm