Fruitcake

Fruitcake

I know what you’re thinking: fruitcake, seriously?  Hear me out before you run away though, because I wasn’t a fruitcake fan either…that is until last year when a friend of mine gave me a mini loaf for Christmas. She also included the recipe with her gift, and I can’t thank her enough for that, because I fell in love with this fruitcake at first bite. Unlike the dry, fake fruit-tasting versions I’ve had in the past, this cake is moist and full of flavor from the rum-soaked dried fruit, and the lemon and orange zests add a little touch of freshness to an otherwise spicy cake. Following my friend’s lead, I made a few mini loaves to give as gifts this year myself, and I’ve received back nothing but praises about them. If you’re looking for a few more gifts, or even just an extra Christmas dessert if you bake this up in a regular loaf pan (you may have to increase the baking time), I hope you’ll give it a try. Have a very merry Christmas and enjoy your holiday with family and friends!

Adapted from my friend’s recipe.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray 4 mini loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the dried fruits, ginger, and zests. Stir in the rum and let sit overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to re-hydrate the fruits.

Fruitcake - 2

In a large pot, combine the fruit mixture, sugar, butter, apple juice, and spices. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and then reduce the heat and let simmer for a few minutes longer. Remove from the heat and let cool at least 15 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.

Fruitcake - 1

Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the eggs until well-combined.

Fruitcake - 3

Spoon the batter into the loaf pans.

Fruitcake - 4

Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Once cooled completely, store in an airtight container. If the cake becomes dry, brush with more rum. The cake’s flavor will enhance over the following week.

Posted by on December 24, 2011.

Tags:

Categories: breads & pastries

1. It’s snowing on your blog. How cool!

by Jaime on Dec 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm

2. oooh, pomegranate Craisins? How chic!

by Casey@Good. Food. Stories. on Dec 24, 2011 at 6:14 pm

3. Oh wow, this looks amazing! I’ve had this fruitcake recipe I’ve been wanting to try, but it needs about three weeks to a month of aging, so I’ve been nervous. I think I might start with this one!

by ducky on Dec 25, 2011 at 10:51 am

4. I like this combination of fruits. I’ll keep this to try later. Thanks for sharing!

by Pat on Dec 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm

5. Hmmm….I’ve never had fruitcake before. But, I trust you, Tracy. I bet this is delicious! I might need to add this to my holiday baking list next year!

Hope you had a very, merry Christmas!!!

by bridget {bake at 350} on Dec 27, 2011 at 5:57 pm

6. Looks amazing! Can’t wait to try!

by Veronica on Dec 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

7. As the recipient of one of these delicious little loaves of win, I can say with authority how fantastic they are. James literally whooped with glee when I told him you posted the recipe, Tracy. Now he can have his new favorite fruit cake whenever he wants!

by Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies on Dec 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

8. I also can attest to how wonderful this fruitcake is! It’s a perfect gift for the holidays, and I can’t wait to make some myself!

by Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on Dec 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm

9. The snow is beautiful! Thanks for uplifting my spirits! May all have a wonderful 2012! I’ll try the fruitcake for sure. It looks great!

by Always Wright on Dec 29, 2011 at 12:15 am